Fat Grafting - Birmingham, AL

I went to Dr. Howard who is a fat grafting...

I went to Dr. Howard who is a fat grafting specialist for fat injections after I had a liplift 6 yrs ago that left my lips a perfect shape but with a scar at the nasal base. In 6 yrs the scar never bothered me enough to get a scar revision. Instead I decided to go with non-invasive fat injections to enhance my nasolabial angle and to get the stem cell effect on the dermal and subdermal tissues. I told the doc I didn't want to be cut but he was very nice and told me that it would be a very small incision so then I figured great it will be smaller then my pinky nail and its only for injections so it prob won't even require a suture. But the doctor opened up the whole liplift incision. He also made an incision inside my septum not sure what that was for but I am sure he had a good reason. Going into this, It was my understanding that fat grafting docs now do micro fat injections to enhance scarring and that it has been very successful because of the stem cells that are in the adipose tissue. The benefit is that the scar is not cut open and you can greatly improve the scars with the injections alone and without creating any additional scar tissue by cutting. Maybe only the Coleman technique does it that way but I thought that was the whole premise behind getting the fat injections for scar tissue - that you won't have to cut the scar open. I was surprised when I went in for fat injections and came out with a lot of sutures. The doctor said it takes 6 months to recover though so - I guess that is to be expected. After the procedure the doctor told me that he made one nostril smaller while he was in there because it was too big. Even though that wasn't part of the plan it was really nice and it was like a bonus. A few months later I noticed that the nostril became very small and it was hard to breathe but the doctor said I am still healing and it takes time. The doc also did a skin flap on part of the scar because he said the scar was worse there. that made my lip pull up on one side. Everyone just thinks I went to the dentist though so no big deal. It has only been 5 months I am sure my lip will go back to normal. It was a very painful recovery which I did not expect. When planning for localized injections I believed a week of downtime tops but there is a price to pay for beauty! I missed a lot during the holidays because it took 2 months for the incision to close but I will make up for it. I know the doctor tried very hard to give me a good result and that is the most important thing. Have not yet gotten the full result since it has only been 5 months but I will update. Thanks for reading everyone!

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

How are you doing now it's been another couple of weeks? Are you healing okay and starting to see your final results coming through?

We'd love to see a before/after photo, if you have any you feel comfortable sharing.
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon