Bio-Alcamid Causes Dangerous Infections, Do NOT Consider Using It!

I had bio-alcamid injected in my cheeks, temples,...

I had bio-alcamid injected in my cheeks, temples, nasolabial folds and edges of my lips while living in Europe. This was hands-down the stupidest thing I've ever done. Not only did it not improve my looks (it did NOT look natural) but, years later, I developed a horrible infection as a result of trying to have it removed. When they injected it they told me it could be removed if I wasn't happy with it but in fact this is not at all easy.

Back in the US I finally decided to try to get the awful stuff out. My skin tone was becoming more lax with age and the stuff was quite visible as lumps under my skin. I found a reputable cosmetic surgeon who was willing to try.

With great difficulty he extracted some of it with a large needle. He had never done this before; it was trial and error, but he wanted to help me. I would say it was about 50% successful. We did this in several sessions, which were quite expensive, and the third time, a few days afterwards I developed an infection on the site where he had attempted to remove the gel.

The infection grew worse and worse in spite of my taking antibiotics. I developed a huge abcess in my cheek which, after about a week, popped. This is very dangerous. If pus from an abscess gets into your bloodstream you can die, which is why abscesses should always be drained. But my doctor didn't do anything - I think he was afraid to touch it. When it popped and started to ooze pus my whole face swelled up. I called the doctor and he rushed me to the emergency room where I had surgery to clean out the abscess. It was the most traumatic experience of my life.

I spent 2 days in the hospital on intravenous antibiotics. I ended up with a cheek stuffed full of gauze which I had to pull out myself a bit every day while the abscess closed. Now, a year later I still have a scar on my cheek from the surgery and I still have lumps of bio-alcamid in my face. I would like to have more removed but I'm afraid of more infections. Afterwards I found out by googling that the gel has a high rate of infection.

I emailed the doctor in Europe and she was very apologetic, she said they hadn't know the risks when they started using it, and that she didn't know how I could get it out. I am still hoping to get it out of my face somehow; any tips would be welcome.

I am having my Bioalcamid removed from under my eyes and where it has migrated after a skiing fall blepharoplasty next Wednesday in Bordeaux France by Dr Alfandari. He seems very hopeful for positive effects. I will let you know how it goes.

Hi: I was treated with bialcomid in 2007. Since then my face has become lumpy and it has migrated to my lower jaw area and become very hard. I have already had one absess in my lower jaw and had to have the tooth removed. I am now experiencing further jaw pains and expect there will be similar results. This is causing a lot of financial hardships and I think the Canadian government should come up with some compensation. I look worse now than before the injections. John in Vancouver.

What surgeon in Vancouver did the treatment?

We share the same experience. I had it injected in the temple area and by the eyebrow. 5 yrs to the day, march 2010, i woke with a massive staph infection, pus all over the pillow, right side of face all red and swollen. I panicked. I had to have it removed 2 x a week for a long time. Then i had to go thru the gauze removal and holes in the side of my head. I live in manhattan. Dr soren white, did not know all the risks involved. Thank god i didn't inject it anywhere else. I just had a facelift and had 2 surgeries on the corners of my eyes. I have a dent on the side of my temple. Fat injections didn't work ($5,500!!!!) Face lift is fine. My eyes are a lot better. I've lost all my confidence over the last two years. Its been a horror story. I refused to go to the emergency room. I went right back to the dermatologist, who shares a space with a plastic surgeon. Here in Manhattan on 5th ave and 68th st. The most painful experience is getting that stuff out. My pictures are frightening. I would give anything to sue. Polymekon has liquidated. Most of the people that are suffering i think are from Europe.

Wow....what a nightmare y'all have been through. I'm so sorry. I was researching fillers for dents left on the sides of my nose following rhinoplasty and now I wonder if I would be better off just leaving them. I'm so sorry for what y'all have been through.
There are lots of temporary fillers out there that last up to 4 years, dont have anything put in your face that is pernament.

I just tried fat transfer 2 x and i think it will be a 3rd time. I'm seeing my plastic surgeon next tues 10/23. I had a facelift and eye job. He didn't see anymore bioalcamid but i still have a fear that its somewhere in my face. I was thinking of sculptra since thats the only filler to go in the temple area. Dr is scared of doing it because that's where the staph infection was. I probably will live with the dent on the side of my temple.

Thanks for posting Linda. I'm sorry we're not in NYC but I'm sure we'll get there eventually! I hope you're ok and it gets better.
All the best,
Ana

If you need any of my photos of what the staph infection looked like, it will scare you!!! I can tell a lot of my story without being there. Let me know. The public should be aware of what went on with this filler and how it ruined lives.

I was so excited to hear that someone is doing sPmething abt this problem I live in NYC Had ba in march 2005 and massive infection in March 2010 by Dr Soren White here in Manhattan wish u were here in NYC because I would love to be included I lost my hiusband week of 9/11. I wanted to try something new. Dr white was dping this on men with aids said it was great filler I looked just like Victoria Beckham kicking myself that I fooled around with my face side of face and head and eyes blew up like a prize fighter swollen then started all the agony of aspirating it out massive antibiotics because I signed a release can't sue more to come
Jlinda
It never stops......................................I am getting it removed as we speak...................The worst.........................
Hi,does anyone know a Dr in the uk who can remove B-A.I
Mr Graham Offer. Spires hospital. Leicester
Wonderful man
Dr Jonathan Britto
Excellent surgeon .. He's based In London .
hi Seana,
I would be careful with removing it if it is not infected. The infection which led to my having ER surgery (see beginning of this thread) was a result of my attempting to have it removed. The doctor did manage to remove quite a bit of it from my cheeks, chin and around my lips in several sessions before the infection occurred. And yes, the way he removed it was with a large needle (canula?) that sucked it out, basically with a syringe. It's not easy because the B-A is a thick gel and they have to work hard to suction it out - but it did work.

Know that you will probably never get it all out. If there is no infection you will be okay and learn to live with it. I too regret having used this product but now, years down the line, I'm okay and you will be too. As for how my face looks after removing it, it's fine. Time heals and I've learned to accept the changes that aging brings. Good luck to you.
Hi everyone.......................I don't know where to start or end................My bioalcamid nightmare is just like everyone else here................I had it done almost 6 years ago and it migrated all over my face.............I have two bad balls of it under my eyes...........It is around my cheeks, above my lips all the way down to my jawbone...............Thank goodness I have not had any infections..............I had a Dr. here in LA try to get it out almost six years ago....He made six incisions and try to squeeze it out..............very little came out..He also used cortisone which is a no no...........It made a permanent dent which can be touched up with Juviderm.............It is really rearing it's ugly head right now................I went to see Dr. Palmer here in LA last week...............He is going to remove it and he has a way of rolling it out with the help of a canula................I am so scared, but I cannot live with this anymore..............Right now wearing hats to disguise it..................I will check in with more information once I have had this done.............i am praying so hard that this will be a success...........All of you are very brave and I want to help anyone I can..............Take care
its a total nightmare Seana. Mine didnt start until I had a tooth infection which spread into left , both cheek capsules. thank god beause of this site one of the members told me what anibiotic to have, that got rid of the infection but have been left with 2 lumps one side and another so close to my eyes a vein often swells up there, Had it done in Spain, now in sout Arica where they have never heard of it, banned here I expect, local plastic surgeo had a meeting with all the other surgeons here, as he doesnt touch fillers at all, just does fat to fill the face, and none of had heard of it or knew what to do, so scary, spanish doctor said if I flew over there she would try and help me that would cost a fortune to get there and stay there for weeks, so couldnt go, and she seemed hopeless anyway. All they can offer me here is to have it cut out which will leave scars, so I wake up every morning praying the infection wont come back or the swellings get huge. these guys here are wondferul, I think without them I would have had a total breakdown.
Hi Suchin.....................I also have it near my eyes where it swells for no reason.....Mine is very white and drives me crazy.....................I will pray that you have no mre infections.....i am going for my second consultation of removal on Thursday...............There maybe some dents that form and again with Juviderm I willhave to learn to live with it...Scary thing is even after having it removed, things could happen 30 yearsdwon the road...........They just don't know what can happen in the future..........They will also be suctioning this crap out, which means unfortunately some healthy tissue can come out with it................Darn................I swear, my life has never been the same since that fateful day that I made a poor choice of having this horrible product put in.....................If this works, I am not kidding I hope to help anyone and everyone throughout the world................Take care...........Really
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:34:36 +0100
> Subject: Re: FW: Help
> From: nemseff@gmail.com
> To: simply18es@hotmail.com
> Hi Lynda,
> About Bio alcamid, in my experience, the only way to treat this kind
> of complications is cleaning, rinsing the wound / abscess with
> hydrogen peroxide, frequently, to break Bio Alcamid mollecule and
> facilitate removing the product.
> Also leaving a drain is good to avoid a premature healing of
> superficial tissues.
> Of course these are very general indications and as you can
> understand, the best for this lady would be to consult a local
> Plastic Surgeon.
> Regards
> Andres
Seana, could you give me more detail on this procedure: "a way of rolling it out with the help of a canula.........." I could pass that on to a plas. surg. to remove some of it from my left cheek. Thank you so much,
Ken
Hi Ken....................All I know is that they insert a 10 gauge needle into an area with the use of an ulatrasound report...................Once the ultrasound is done, he figures out where to insert and then agressively starts squeezing it out.............It is done in 2 to 3 sessions..................I am meeting with Dr. Ellis next week and then we will begin the process....................That's all I know for now until it actually happens...................I wish you so much luck...............Seana

Does dr palmer suggest sculptra to fill in the dents. Mine is at the side of face .. Temple... Fat didn't work. The corners of both the eyes have the lumps and bulges. I justhad for the 2nd time in 6 months eye surgery. I think this has worked. Its only a week. I think i'm going to learn to live with the dent. I hate it but we all know that we've gone thru hell. Why is there no one from nyc on this blog but me? Can you ask the dr if he would use sculptra on the temple area.

Hi,
Saw plastic surgeon yesterday. He never uses fillers, just fat from there own body. But meets every week with the local surgeons who he knows uses fillers, so will ask them for info and help. Doesnt think Bio alcamid has ever been used here in south africa. Says infection has gone, just have 2 granulars left, but if it starts up again, to go to emergency and get them to phone him. So praying infection will stay away, thank you for all your help, I dont know wht I would have dne without the support ou gave me.
Hi there...................Can I ask which plastic surgeon you are seeing?..............It just amazes me that with so many of them out there, that barely anyone knows how to deal with the removal...............Just horrible.............Seana