BIG REGRET

Pros: Can't think of any Cons: Gross,...

Pros: Can't think of any
Cons: Gross, uncomfortable, teeth look worse than before I started

Had braces as a child, but didnt' wear my retainer and had some movement. Thought about doing Invisalign after seeing my dentist who had nothing but praise for it. I did some research and had some reservations about costs and effectiveness. However, my dentist dismissed my concerns and on an impulse I decided to do it. After I was accepted as a candidate I was shown a 3D image of my teeth (computer image that was perhaps technically correct, but not so realistic as it was a blown up computer animation and didn't display the filing). I had read some negative reviews about filing down of teeth to create room for movement, which caused me concern. My dentist told me that in my case it would be so minor that I wouldn't even notice it. Not true, but a good sell.

He filed and created space between 8 of my teeth (the ones you see when you smile) according to the Invisalign specs. This left me with quite a bit of space between my front teeth which was NOT not noticable (could fit couple of finger nails thru). He tried to reasure me that it would close up within a couple of weeks. Not true. Took many months, and they still have gaps. Even worse, my teeth will forever be narrow and off-looking for my face. I would sue if not for the many waiver forms I signed (shame on me for not doing more research). My teeth look straigter (not as straight as they were after braces), but have gaps that will likely never go away with out the help of costly veneers.

Aside from that, they are bulky, uncomfortable, and dirty. No matter how often you brush your teeth your mouth will dry out (most of the saliva collects in the trays which end up feeling slimy), and feel dirty and smell less than fresh. Constantly brushing your teeth and sipping water helps, but not always an option. Your lips also get chapped. Had I really understood the inconvenience and gross factor, I would not have done it based on that alone.

If you are on the fence, do the braces. I am in the refinement phase, but don't hold much hope that they will succeed in closing my gaps (the ones they created). Braces are noticable, but so are Invisalign. However, Invisalign comes with a host of other negatives to make you less inclined to smile (again, your mouth tends to feel dirty). Also, you can kiss with braces, with invisalign you will be WAY too self-conscience to even think about it.

Please keep in mind that Invisalign offers incentives to Dentist and Orthos. They aren't always that unbiased in their recommendations. By the fact that a regular dentist (mine is a cosmetic dentist)is qualified to do them gives me alarm (of course, after the fact). Seems like it should be left to Orthos, but who am I?

Invisalign might work for you, but it left me worse off and poorer for the effort. Braces have a proven track record, so far at least 1 out of 5 people in this forum say they regret their choice. I know I always will.

Cosmetic Dentist are not trained Orthodontist.

Just got my invisalign. It got so dirty and my doc gave me a packet that says OAP Cleaner on it. Anyone know if this works?
I brush mine off under the faucet and let them sit in hydrogen peroxide while I eat. I've also let them sit in Scope mouthwash. I've had the trays for over 8 weeks and they seems safe on the trays. I've worn the same trays for 8 weeks because my treatment has failed and I'm getting quotes on real braces to fix the problems Invisalign can't.
I had the same issues my invisalign was nasty. My doc gave me a cleaning packet called OAP Cleaner and it worked pretty well. It says it is anti bacterial and anti viral. Anyone know anything bout this?

so i got invaisalign about 6 weeks ago. my dr didnt discuss pros or cons with me before any of the procedures. i was unaware that i couldnt eat or drink with them, huge pain. im not sure why people say they stain your teeth and give you bad breath, because i brush them and my teeth as well as floss EACH time i take them out to eat or drink. if you dont do that, hence why you have hygiene problems. i was also unaware that i had to get brackets. EXTREMELY PAINFUL! putting them on hurt, when they have to rip the glued down aligners from your face, but it wasnt enough to make me say id never do it again. but the next day trying to get the braces off was almost impossible. they didnt move at all. so once i finally managed to rip them off, punch myself in the chest and face, and cause a little bleeding, they came off. it hurt like hell and i dont want to put them back on. also, chipped my tooth in the process. maybe cuz my dentist put too much bonder on, since it just about covers every tooth the brackets are on. i kind of wish i had opted for traditional braces, but i got invisalign so i wouldnt be brace face with a mouth that smells like metal ,and have food stuck in my braces. i havent seen any adjustments yet, nor was i shown a computer image of the before and after. so i cant say i dont like them. all i know is that it causes changes to your diet, adds a few extra minutes everyday (a few times a day) to your bathroom visits, and brackets hurt like hell. if you are going to get braces, discuss with your dr what you will need. if i was told about brackets prior to my paying 4 grand for these, i would have opted for metal.

I am not happy after my 2d round of braces, They should have never pulled teeth the first time , 2 upper and 2 lower. I feel my top bite is too narrow and when I went to an orthodontic group in southeastern, ct (referred by my dentist) for the second round of braces I seemed to always get the partner just out of school - big mistake! I hate my new teeth. They filed away at my teeth too, almost to the point where I wondered if they knew the 2 partners at the previous appts. were hacking away at them. The spaces are now closed after I started using Go Smile and Supersmile toothpaste. I don't think when you sign up for a service you should get different people treating you each time.

I am having the same experience with my Seattle dentist. I got three consults--one from a professor at UW who told me braces would definitely be the way to go, another from a private dentist who came highly recommended who refused to do Invisalign for me, and the last from my historic dentist who also teaches. When he told me he needed to file my lower teeth, I was terrified--because I'd come in to REMOVE spaces. He reassured me the spaces would not only go away but were necessary. Now I'm close to the end of my Invisalign treatment, over a year later, and the spaces remain EXACTLY as wide, noticeable, an embarrassing as initially. I keep asking my dentist about the spaces but he continues to reassure me the spaces will vanish. I wish I'd had a backbone, but when your healthcare provider is URGING a procedure, you assume (s)he knows far more than you about what's right. I regret deeply-deeply letting someone file my otherwise perfectly good teeth. And for the record, I'm not at all impressed with Invisalign. Yes, the overall shape of my smile has changed. Yes, the biggest gap (NOT one my dentist created) has shortened, but all the original gaps remain, are noticeable, and the new gaps make my lower teeth look like something out of a horror movie. I've actually had nightmares about my lower teeth falling out. I don't give a d*&m about the waivers I've signed--if at least the gaps my dentist CREATED don't close after a refinement I'll be contacting an attorney to discuss a law suit. When a patient says (s)he doesn't want a procedure and a doctor pushes it strongly, that doctor better be very confident the procedure will do what is being promised. Very ashamed and upset with myself.

Wow I had the same dream and my Invisalign treatment has failed.
GuapoJulio, do you mind elaborating on how your Invisalign treatment has failed? I'm sorry to hear that, and am really apprehensive myself since I'm now coming up on 3 years with an unclosed CREATED space, and a remaining gap that compelled me to start invisalign in the first place. What's worse, the constant shifting of my teeth has caused me to crack several of them out of a lack of familiarity with the ever-changing bite. I'm so angry with myself...
Yes I have a review posted on this site. You can paste this link into your browser to see it: (http://www.realself.com/review/encinitas-ca-invisalign-4-700-down-the-drain-real-braces). I also have created spaces. Because real braces are more flexible with respect to the ability to perform and change treatment I think I'm going to go that route at the added cost of $6,800. That's how much it would have cost me if I'd gone with real braces to begin with.
I just completed my Invisalign treatment for closing a front gap. I want to note that I had this gap since childhood, got braces at 13 for about 1.5 years, then didn't continue to wear the retainer after age 16 because my orthodontist didn't mention to me that I should.
Not sure how long it took for the gap to return; in less than a year.
I've always been so self-conscious about that gap. I would never get veneers, so when I heard about Invisalign, I gave it some serious consideration.

After a million dentist visits and the awkwardness of constantly brushing/flossing or going hungry for too long, my teeth look great.

HERE ARE THE 'BUTS':

Since my bottom jaw was not treated (it was 'perfect'), closing the gap caused my upper jaw to become too small for a proper bite. Therefore, I can't bite down properly. Note that the present tense: after having my bite adjusted at two sessions, it's still not there. My dentist said that it's fine now, but it's anything but. I also pointed out that my night retainer (which I'm wearing all day, too) is not fitting properly. He didn't even look at that.

After my 'buttons' were removed, I had to sleep without a retainer for 1 week because it had to be made from an impression that was created that same day. It took 1 week for the retainer to be made. The first night after having anything in my mouth was really bad. I woke up in the middle of the night with my right jaw in pain (strangely the side that had no bite on the back molars), with the front teeth hitting each other. I could also feel the points were 'shaving' had been done.

After today's 2nd elaborate shaving session, I'm still far from a proper bite, plus my retainer doesn't fit right. My jaws are starting to hurt. And I can feel all the abrasion of his supposed "miniscule" shavings. He kept assuring me how little he's filing off. But isn't the surface supposed to be smooth again afterwards? Instead, these areas feel like I haven't brushed them for a week. :-/

Having read many people's stories about maladjusted bites, I'm panicking. I wish I could reverse this whole thing. I had a short treatment of 3 months, with only my 4 front teeth on each side treated. Therefore, the closed gap created spaces on after the 4th teeth that had to be filled. This part cost CDN$900. The Invisalign itself was $3,000 for me.

Would I do it again? NO! As much as I hated my gap, I can clearly remember the feeling of biting down before I got treated. My bite was perfect. I had lots of room to bite down properly. Noone ever told me or made me feel like my smile was bad.

What I got was a closed gap - at the price of $4,000, fillings on each side (source of phthalates for sure), filed-down teeth, and still a bad bite with jaw pain. Yikes! BTW, if I don't wear this night guard, my gap returns within a day.

People, unless justified medically, learn to love your teeth + yourselves. I know I need to work on that.

Hi -- Would you mind if I posted this as a separate review? You have so much good information in here and more people will see it as a review.

I have just finished a year of treatment with Invisalign. I know have a wider jaw (chattery teeth) maladjusted bite, and my front bottom teeth are hitting the top teeth, thus causing pointy teeth. I have constant headaches. Whe I initially started the treatment I specifically told my orthodontist I did NOT want ANY widening of the jaw - I guess he didn't care what I wanted. All the fool kept talking about was a "Proper arch" Now I basically have a semi-cirlcle for an arch.
My treatment has cost a total of around $7000 with my insrance only paying $1500..
I am on the second phase of my treatment - so when I go in for the next appointment, I am telling him to shove his braces. Unfortunately for me this was all a WASTE of money.

Well, to play devil's advocate a bit, there is a proper arch and ideal bite that is strived for with orthodontic treatment. An ideal bite is thought to reduce headaches, as things are lined up properly.

I'm really sorry to hear your experience with this has been so negative though. :-/

I agree with you on the regret. I feel like a teenager who succumbed to the media's brainwashing about the way we're supposed to look. Although some of my original gaps are gone, now I have an even MORE obvious gap right smack dab in the middle of my mouth--far more embarrassing. And I've chipped teeth because the shifting from the Invisalign after 3 years of treatment has made biting unpredictable. So between the hated shavings and the crooked, cracked teeth, I'm FAR worse off now than I was originally. And all this from the treatment of a doctor of dental medicine.
Oh and I opted not to file my teeth--- I was not pressured to-- only told I may have a slight gap... We'll see. I don't need perfect teeth, just a nice looking smile. If there is a gap and it bothers me-- I can always see what my options are then to fix it. But i have a feeling-- since my teeth were near perfect in the past- with no gap-- after treatment i may not even have a gap. The orthodontist says he doesn't know if i will or not.
I have found that Listerine, brushing, and floss after each meal works well for me. My advice for anyone debating or starting ---Go to costco and pick up a ten pack of tooth brushes, floss, and mouth wash. I even don't notice the invisalign trays when my mind is on doing work or something else. Brushing, flossing, and mouth wash is 5 minutes three times a day-- big deal... I do not want cavities or bad breath problems. The fact you can take them out to eat and clean makes the trays a 1000 times better then traditional braces! It's not that wearing them is that annoying at all-- but taking them out does feel really good-- gives you and your teeth a quick break-- before resuming treatment. That is not an option with traditional braces.
Almost to my third tray now and no complaints!! I will only have to wear mine for 5 months, and I've just completed month 1 so I might be a little biased, but so far I love them!! They are noticeable in person but only if you're really paying attention. Can't see them at all in pictures!! I do dislike the buttons but what can ya do? Another negative is the fact that you have to be crazy about oral hygeine but why not start good habits now! I did have to have two teeth filed, it didn't hurt at all, just more of an uncomfortable weird feeling to see them filing my teeth with something that looked like a nail file! I got Invisalign because I'm a 23 year old young lady that was not about to get regular braces! I had one top front tooth that stuck out further than the rest and slight crowding on the bottom. So far the one protruding front tooth has flattened so much that my friends have given me raving reviews :) And as far as kissing, I do feel a little self concious about it but that won't stop me! Which reminds me, the first week or so I was extremely self concious in general, thinking that I looked like a freak with my new plastic teeth. But, now I have to say that I love them, am not shy about smiling and absolutely love to tell people all about my experience thus far!!
If you brush and floss your teeth regularly, your mouth shouldn't feel gross. Your trays shouldn't smell. You're suppose to wash them and at least soak them in mouthwash daily. It sounds like your dentist didn't quite know what he was doing. The filing shouldn't be noticeable. It has nothing to do with Invisalign, just your dentist.
What do you mean you can kiss with braces and not with Invisalign? Wouldn't it be more the other way around, since Invisalign is made of smooth plastic that covers the grainy-like attachments, whereas regular braces are exposed with no covering at all? Regular braces appear to be sharp, abrasive, and conducive to things getting stuck in between all that metal --- wouldn't that NOT be ideal for kissing?
For those people who got inviswine - you are the lifetime customer!!! Retainer - yearly subscription (400$!!)Can't go without them- your teeth will relapse!!And you also have them filed and have gaps between them-see retainer yearly subscription...they(Align Technology)got themselfes a Good business!!!
What? Does the retainer spontaneously combust after one year? I hope it's at least as entertaining as that if I have to blow 400 ever year.
well you say that 1 out of 5 posts for invisalign on this are negative but that can probably be attributed to the fact that when someone is upset with something they tend to speak out more than people who are satisfied... so I don't think this is an adequate ratio to go by. I have invisalign right now and i'm on the 5th set with no major issues so far. I can;t really tell whether it is working yet but it must be as each aligner seems to fit.
I had the same problem with them feeling dirty and I was constantly brushing them and my teeth. Mine were never EVER as clear as they were when I got them 2 weeks later. My ortho had to file my teeth also and it hurt like a b**ch! They have taken a lot longer than they were supposed to take and I've gotten 6 cavities from them. I didn't have a single cavity until I got these!
I personally have not had any issues with smell or grossness I brush and floss after each and every meal or snack or drink. I soak my aligners in either effecdent or mouthwash. I have had no bad breath and my aligners are still clear after two weeks.
First comment. Go to an orthodonitst. Second. You have a say in your treatment. They don't have to file your teeth. Sounds like your dentist filed your teeth too much. Third. Your teeth do not feel gross and nasty if you brush your teeth before you put the trays back in your mouth after you eat. If you mouth is clean when you put them in, i.e. no food between your teeth. They will stay that way. You can kiss and smile normally.