Lap Band to Sleeve conversion

I got the lap-band in 2008 at Cedars Sinai in Los...

I got the lap-band in 2008 at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles. From day one, I never had a serious restriction enough to slow down my eating. Over the last 4 years, I have lost 40 lbs and put it back on twice simply by exercising. The only problem is that I have a severely damaged back and working out on regular basis is at times impossible. This is when I begin to pile on the fat. I found out 2 weeks ago that my band is either defective or was damaged during the initial surgery. This is why I never had any restrictions. Even when I felt slight restriction, it only lasted a day or two at the most.

Since I have to already have a surgery to remove this damaged lap-band, I am considering having them to the sleeve. I told the doctor that I will only do it if it can be done in one shot. I can't go through 2 operations.

So far, I am going through the same protocol that I went through 5 years ago prior to surgery. Psych Eval, Nutritionist, tests, etc. I really wanted to rush the surgery but now I am increasingly nervous.

I am so dissapointed from the lap-band experience that I'm not certain that the sleeve would be of much help.

2008 prior to surgery - 260lbs
2010 (September) - 198lbs
2012 (January) 235lbs
2012 (December) 203lbs
2013 (March 1) 217lbs.

As you can see, it's a roller coaster with working out and then stopping due to back pains. I need help with decreased eating.

If I could drop at least 50 lbs., I would hopefully have less back pain, lower my blood sugar and blood pressure. Tired of taking meds.
At this point, it's not about looking good. It's about being healthy.
I'm 44. 5'3" and today I am 217lbs.

Will keep a diary/update here and let you know how I progress.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated :-)

Hi Diane, how are things progressing for you?

Hi Diane,

Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.

I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience. Did your original Lap Band doctor not do any tests when you advised that you weren't feeling any restriction?

You've done well to lose some weight, even without the restriction of the lap band. The sleeve would hopefully aid in this more. The sleeve is a completely different procedure, being that it permenantly restricts your food intake by removing all but 25% of your stomach. The sleeve is a procedure that is usually carried out on people who are deemed too obese for a gastric bypass to be safe.

Has your doctor talked to you about the sleeve and given an indication as to whether they think it's the right procedure for you?

Hi Kristy, Yes, I met with Dr. Ali two weeks ago and he was very informative. Since this is not a surgery that all doctors do in one shot, I asked if he could do it. He informed me that he's done many Lap-Band conversions and was able to do it in one procedure. Of course it also depends on the amount of scarring in the operation site. He did say that it's the right procedure for me since I have other health risks. In all honesty, I could do very well by simply working out. Unfortunately, I have 8 damaged discs on my spine which make it nearly impossible to do regular exercise. This is why I need that extra help to be able to achieve my weight loss goal. For me, it's not a vanity issue. I'm confident whether I am size 18 or 6. I just need to be healthy again. Less weight will be less pressure on my back, controlled diabetes and blood pressure. Tired of meds...really! :-) Going to take a class with the doctor (going over the sleeve) and a group meeting later this afternoon. It's part of the mandetory things on my list of things to do prior to the surgery.

Having the conversion surgery on Monday, April...

Having the conversion surgery on Monday, April 22nd. Dr. Ali said that he will be able to do both removal of lap-band and sleeve conversion in one shot. This will be a longer and slightly more difficult surgery.

At this point, I've gone through too many dissapointments because of the failed Lap-Band. Not super hopeful but I am giving myself one last shot to be healthy again.
Good luck on Monday and I hope this surgery helps you meet you goals!
Thank you very much! :-)

Hi Diane,

Just popping on to see how you are and how things are progressing. Would love an update, if you get the chance! Hope you're doing well!

Just got DCD from the hospital today. Surgery was...

Just got DCD from the hospital today. Surgery was Monday morning. It took about 90 minutes or the lap-band removal and sleeve conversion. My doctor was able to do it all at once. I only had nausea once. It was first time I got up to pee. I was slightly dizzy and unable to pee when I felt the nausea. After waiting for couple of hours, nausea did go away. Nothing by mouth day of surgery. First drink was on day two. It was a challenge do drink but I took it slow and am able to take little sips now. Home on day 3. Still a little swollen and no change change on the scale.

Surgery date 4/22/13 227lbs.
4/24/13 231lbs.

Feeling slightly weak but recouperating fairly well.

Just got DCD from the hospital today. Surgery was...

Surgery date 4/22/13 227lbs.
4/24/13 231lbs.

Feeling slightly weak but recouperating fairly well.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I had the surgery. ...

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I had the surgery. So far I am down 13 lbs. and my blood sugar is at a normal rate. Diabetic meds not needed. Not sure if that's permanent or not. Feeling well but miss eating real food. Didn't have any complications but am also following directions from the doctors office. Walk several times a day and am constantly sipping on something. Will be seeing Dr. Ali for post op follow up on Wednesday. A week away from pureed food and 3-4 weeks from solid food.

How are you doing, now it's been a few months since your sleeve surgery? I hope you're well!

Congratulations on your weight loss already, it sounds like you're doing well and are on the right track! It's awesome that you don't need the diabetes medication, hopefully that will last!

Please do keep us updated with your progress!

Dr. Mir B. Ali

Googled for a Bariatric doctor for my Lap-Band. After some tests, realized that Lap-Band was leaking, I decided to go with Dr. Ali who was a highly rated surgeon. After meeting him, I got more confident about him doing my surgery.