Necklace, Lower Face Lift and Co2 Laser Resurfacing - Beverly Hills, CA

I had a chin implant in late 2011 (from a...

I had a chin implant in late 2011 (from a reputable surgeon), which definitely helped, but did not adequately address, the appearance of my double chin. The chin implant didn't solve the issues of a poor neck angle and loose skin and fat under my chin, which created the appearance of a very bulky neck on an otherwise physically fit 39-year-old man.

The surgery went smoothly and the recovery process was very manageable. Dr. Moelleken and his entire staff provided world class care throughout the entire process; pre-, during and post-surgery. Five weeks post-op, I am very satisfied with my short-term results. My scarring is nearly imperceptible, my neck angle is dramatically improved, my double chin is gone, and the loose skin and wrinkling of my neck are gone. My skin literally looks 10 years younger. Well worth the cost.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Issues you may encounter in recovery

I thought it would be worth the time to outline a few issues that one may encounter post-facelift.
While my doctor made me and my wife aware that I would be feeling emotional after surgery for a few weeks, possibly even depressed, I laughed it off. Not being a "depressed" person, I thought I would be immune to these emotions, but I was wrong. It's a pretty serious surgery and I didn't look like "myself" for about a week. While the areas I wanted to address look better than I ever remember them, I still don't feel 100% like myself yet. It's a slow grind. I wasn't prepared for the emotional recovery period. I didn't experience this after my chin implant. It's just nowhere near as substantial of a surgery as a lower face lift. Thankfully, my wife and my doctor have been extremely supportive. It is imperative that you have a support system in place when undergoing a surgery such as this. You CANNOT do it alone.

The only other notable issue I've encountered is hair loss around my incisions, which, while infrequent, can occur for of reasons based on my research. All signs point to a full recovery, as permanent hair loss typically occurs due to a bad procedure. I'm certain that is not the case in my situation. As a male with short hair, this hair loss is difficult to cover up and requires quite a bit of makeup and time on my wife's part every morning. She's a magician. According to my doctor, hair typically starts to regrow after three months. So, as my doctor says, it will be like "watching paint dry" for another seven weeks or so.

Hi Todd, hope everything is going great with you in your recovery. Let me inform you that I am two weeks post op today and I had pretty much everything you had done with the additional upper eyelid surgery. I too stayed at an overnight center the first night and you were correct it was the best thing I could have done for my recovery. Dr. Moelleken is absolutely great! He is very patient and so down to earth as well as the rest of his staff. Thank you once again for allowing me to share your journey as your experiences helped me with my journey. I have a question that I don't know if you went thru the same thing as me. Did you have the incisions on your scalp behind your ears raise up sort of like a ridge? Mine's are like that but the doctor assured me they would flatten with time. They don't bother me as much because I have a lot hair and its long so they are not noticeable at all. However, I do want them to flatten and fade. What has been your experience with them so far?
Good to hear that you're doing well! Yes, the incisions behind the ears were ridged at first and have since flattened out. They're still not perfectly flat to the touch against the surrounding skin (More like a vein under the skin), but the distinct ridge-like feeling is gone and they are definitely fading. I'm exactly 90 days in today. I expect the scarring to continue to improve over the next 9 months. It seems like the last few days I notice some new improvement every day. Stay optimistic and I'm sure all of your concerns will be alleviated over time.
Well I am so glad to hear that. Thank you.
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

I had a chin implant in late 2011 (from a reputable surgeon), which definitely helped, but did not adequately address, the appearance of my double chin. The chin implant also didn't solve the issues of a poor neck angle and loose skin and fat under my chin, which created the appearance of a very bulky neck on an otherwise physically fit 39-year-old man. I did a significant amount of research regarding who was the single most qualified surgeon to remedy these issues. Dr. Brent Moelleken of Beverly Hills stood far above anyone else. In addition to being a highly qualified surgeon with training at Harvard, Yale and UCLA, Dr. Moelleken has an honest, open and forthcoming personality and I could sense I was not "being sold" unnecessary surgery in our initial consultation. He outlined the course of action that he believed to be most appropriate and answered all of my questions. He recommended that I have a Neck Lace procedure to tighten the muscle, a lower face lift to tighten and lift skin, and a Co2 laser resurfacing to tighten skin and reduce signs of premature aging. After visiting another top surgeon (which in hindsight was simply as a sanity check), it reinforced the decision that I had already made; to utilize the services of Dr. Moelleken. The surgery went smoothly and the recovery process was very manageable. Dr. Moelleken and his entire staff provided world class care throughout the entire process; pre-, during and post-surgery. Dr. Moelleken has also been extremely responsive whenever I email him questions about the recovery process, even answering my emails on nights and weekends. Five weeks post-op, I am very satisfied with my short-term results. My scarring minimal, my neck angle is dramatically improved, my double chin is gone, and the loose skin and wrinkling of my neck are gone. My skin literally looks 10 years younger. Well worth the cost. Highest possible rating. Dr. Moelleken is an artist.