Anyone Have Experience with Implants After Radiation? - Beverly Hills, CA

I had a lumpectomy & radiation on one breast many...

I had a lumpectomy & radiation on one breast many years ago, leaving it scared and smaller than the other. I finally had surgery to fix it, but the breast is now hard and discolored. Also, I now have a scar on the good breast from my nipple to my chest. I am very unhappy and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience and also, what to do about the scars? Do they eventually go away?

Radiation will thicken the tissue leaving it hard and leathery. It will not stretch very well for immediate placement of an implant, so most surgeons will use a tissue expander to slowly stretch the tissue so it can accept the implant. There is a much higher rate of complications in irradiated breasts but the vast majority of women will get satisfactory results. Another very viable alternative is fat grafting which softens the scars and may eliminate the need for implant, especially if you do not want a very large volume change. I know there are surgeons offering this in California. You can learn more about this option here or at fatgraftpatients dot com.
Thank you for your response. I am having a fat injection procedure this wk to do just that. Will report results.