Black Eye

I have been a botox user for 10 years and feel I...

I have been a botox user for 10 years and feel I have always had great results and want to continue using botox. I have included 4 photographs that span over a month from the date of service documenting the healing of my eye.

I want to Thanks all of you ladies who sent me...

I want to Thanks all of you ladies who sent me some feedback, and update... I still have not been anywhere to get any injectables it's been quite the experience seeing my face move and begin to age, the magic of botox has worn off and i see myself for real now! I'm okay with it most days but i have to say if I had a trusting person her in Los Angels i would go and have it done again.
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

My experience getting Botox from Dr. David Hansen in Beverly Hills, CA was the worst I could have ever imaginable. I have been using Botox for 10 years and have had only 2 doctors in that 10 year period. I moved to LA and needed to find a doctor to do my Botox. My appointment with Dr. Hansen lasted about 15 minutes. He did not offer me any numbing cream and proceeded to inject me. He seemed to randomly place the needle in my forehead and was a little more gentle around my eye area, he asked me if I ever had Botox injected under my eyes and I said yes. He proceeded to say when it works it looks great but sometime it doesnt work. He injected under my right eye with no problem but when he did the left eye I immediately felt a cold sensation and then a pocket filled with fluid and I couldn't even look down because the pocket was so large. He asked me to hold a gauze pad over the injection area and then I said I think Im going to have a black eye, he escorted me to the front office to check out, I stood there and was feeling out of sorts and commented Im going to have a black eye, and he re appeared with a small ice pack, Kelli and the other girl at the front desk ignored my comments and proceeded to collect my money and out the door I went. I felt very rushed and there was no concern from any of them. The doctor disappeared after he gave me the ice cube. And there was no discussion of what to do about the growing-fluid building up under my eye. It was so bad initially that when I looked down to get the money from my wallet I could see the bump because it blocked my vision. I waited a week and decided to call the office to let them know that I have a significant black eye and also bruises on my forehead which I have had happen on occasion in the past. I realize that there is always the possibility of bruising and have experienced some in the past 10 years of usage. Although I have never had a black eye. And I want to stress that this wasnt just a small area that I could easily cover up, it was my entire under eye area and it was black so coverage was not an option. When I called and spoke with Kelly, I told her who I was and that I wanted to let her know that I have a black eye, and she immediately began to defend the procedure saying that it can happen. She didnt show any concern or empathy and did not let me fully express myself. I didnt get to say anything else and she told me I should have used some arnica to help with the bruising and I said I wish someone would have told me that before I left the office especially knowing I had a black eye before I even left the office. She said that she would let the doctor know and she hung the phone up. Not one word of concern for me. I have not been able to live my normal life for 3 weeks now. I have photographs that I took during the last 3 weeks to document the eye. I have had many appointments that I had to cancel. I am so disappointed with the lack of concern. I know these things can happen, I feel if I was able to voice my concerns and the office staff would have been sympathetic or empathic it would have made all the difference. I did not want my money back but at this point I feel that is the least they could do. They have no idea how this has effected my daily life for the last several weeks, the black eye was still visible after 5 weeks that is how deep the blackness was, needless to say I had to deal with it an try to cover it up or where sunglasses when sometimes they were not appropriate to be wearing. I have never heard from the doctor after Kelli said she would let him know. I would not recommend him to anyone, his bedside manner was poor and he kept tying to sell me a chemical peel all the while he was injecting me. Totally unprofessional.

So sorry about your experience and thanks for sharing! How long did it take for it to completely heal and for the skin to get back to normal?
What a rude person Michelle is! I almost had to wonder if it was the doctor's office in disguise... As a nurse I will tell you that it IS the doctor or nurse's responsibility to check your risk factors for side effects, not the patient's! Where is the compassion? Whether inflicted by you or anyone else most of us know how difficult it would be to have your face impaired in a cosmetic way. Shame on Michelle for not having compassion! That being said... I thought that they were not supposed to inject under the eye, but only to the side in the crow's feet area, is this not true? Do doctors usually inject under the eye? I hope you've recovered from the fear and the trauma of having your face damaged. Best to you!
the needle must have hit a tiny blood vessel. the skin under the eyes is the thinnest on the face and it's very delicate.
I'm very surprised that you aren't taking responsibility for the bruising yourself rather than bashing a good doctor. Bruising is an indication of something that you have done recently such as drinking alcohol, using aspirin or advil or taking vitamin e- all of these thin the blood and cause excess bruising. Did you tell the doctor that you had been doing any of these things recently? If you had told him he might have advised using arnica gel or tablets to help prevent or resolve the bruising sooner and suggested a good coverup. I've never found that numbing cream does much anyway but the cold air from a chiller or ice is far better at shrinking blood vessels which prevent bruising and relieving pain than any numbing cream. Everybody gets bruising sooner or later and it is less the doctor or nurse's fault than it is ourselves. Pity parties only make others believe that bruising is rare when everybody gets some once in awhile. I would not have wasted everyone's time complaining about bruising rather I would have asked what would help the bruising go away quicker and any makeup suggestions. I've been to many botox doctors and find that none of them do the quality work and has the Finesse that Dr. Hansen did for me with my botox sessions. I would go to no one other than him for botox or anything to do with my face. I hope you still keep up the botox injections since they really help me look younger and more refreshed.
Thanks for your comments and of course I know about bruising and what may cause it and have had bruising in the past. The doctor hit a blood vessel, the immediately feeling of cool liquid and the swelling bubble under my eye was the result. I understand that these things happen. I was more disappointed in the lack of concern from his staff and his dismissiveness of me when I was standing at the counter holding an ice pack under my eye stunned and sent out the door with no time to process it or concern for me before I left. And their follow up was so cold, after a week I called and spoke to Kelly, i'm not sure she even told the doctor that I called and that may be why he never called to discuss this with me. And I would love to continue using it, but I guess I still have anxiety about trying to find someone else. If you any doctor referrals please share them with me.

michelle727218, it seems to me it would be up to the doctor to check if their patient has done anything that would lead to more bruising. I know when I have had botox in the past I have been asked about it to make sure. Your comment comes off as very disrespectful, as she is not having a "pity party" but simply sharing her experience...and who could blame her for being disappointed, that is a HUGE bruise/hematoma.

Awwww that sucks. I am sorry to see that.
Btw I get mine on the outsides of the eye...sorta in a parenthesis shape on the outside of either eye. It gets rid of crow's feet completely & no bruising. I find ice packs way more helpful to prevent bruising than the numbing cream.
That is HORRIBLE!!! I've never had that kind of bruising from Botox! Shame on that dr. I'm so sorry for you!
I feel so bad for you and can totally empathize with what you went through. The identical thing happened to me over a year ago. I have not had Botox since...but, am scheduled this coming Monday for an injection with a different doctor. Have you had botox injections since this horrible incidence?
This is really horrible. Such a big problem.
I have had Botox for the 2nd time now, and both times I have had it in the area under my eye.
I was always told that my make up should be removed around the area prior to injecting, because it's covers veins, and if a vein was injected...then it would cause a black eye.
I have not suffered with a black eye.
This maybe something for you all to think about when having Botox in the eye area.

I'm going with a 50/50 chance (your pic is the same as mine and the v gives me no hint at all lol) if you're felmae and have been on birth control for more than 3 years, ask the doctor to run a PT,PTT,INR. This a test to check for clotting factors in your blood. birth control pills causes blood clots. I takes 1 extra tube of blood and is a test that is covered by insurance if you have been, or are on birth control.best of luck.

Thanks a lot for sharing your unforgettable experience with us...I was really socked after reading this blog that botex was put below you eye...You are seriously so brave.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Ouch! So sorry to hear about the bad experience. It's really sad how they didn't show any concern towards you even though you were bruised all over. I hope everything is going well. You have all my blessings.
I am sorry that happened. I have gone to 3 different plastic surgeons before I finally found Dr. Pousti.
I was really surprised that botex was put below you eye. It is such a sensitive area. My doctor is always preaching, "patient safety first".
Good Luck on finding the right doctor, who puts your safety first & owns up to his mistakes!!!
Oh my! I could not imagine getting anything done without any numbing cream. How horrific.

Thank you for sharing your story and posting the pictures. That is a pretty severe black eye. I'm glad to hear it is healing up now, but I can imagine that wasn't easy to go through 4 weeks with.