Removal of Jaw Cyst and Follow-Up Dental Implant - Bethesda, MD

Dr. Kazemi is an excellent oral surgeon. Three...

Dr. Kazemi is an excellent oral surgeon. Three years ago in August of 2010, I had my first appointment at his office and took a panoramic X-ray of my teeth. Upon review of the films, he found and showed me the cyst that had developed on the right side of my jaw. After requesting my films taken at a different doctor’s office three years prior, he found out that the cyst had in fact been there at the time and my orthodontist simply overlooked it, allowing it to grow to almost an inch in size. This was very frustrating and worrisome.
He very clearly explained what the situation was and presented me with options of what to do next. If I chose to deal with the cyst later, eventually my jaw could fracture or collapse. This was clearly not the best option, and so I decided to have it biopsied and removed. Because I needed to return to college in a month or so, Dr. Kazemi helped me to set up an incredibly efficient and swift schedule for the next few of weeks. Within a week, I had a biopsy done on the cyst – it was benign. Twenty days after that first appointment, Dr. Kazemi performed the surgery to remove the cyst, all four of my wisdom teeth, and one molar that had been affected by the cyst. From my point of view, the scariest part of the surgery was the possibility of having a hip bone graft to fix the bone damage caused by the cyst. He wouldn’t know until he had actually removed the cyst and surveyed the surrounding bone, so we had to prepare for that possibility as well. Thankfully, my bone wasn’t too damaged so Dr. Kazemi used synthetic bone instead. The surgery was a success and the recovery – barring the usual soreness and swelling of having teeth removed – was painless and easy to undertake.

Three months after the surgery, Dr. Kazemi inserted a tiny titanium dental implant to replace the removed molar. I’ve had no problems with it up to now and can chew as comfortably on the right side of my mouth as on the left. Also, the implant really is small so no worries about setting the metal detector off in the airport!

Since then, I’ve had regular six month and one year follow ups. In November of 2013, I’ve gotten my last follow-up panoramic x-ray (an extra that I requested to be thorough), and my jaw and implant are doing great! I’m so thankful for Dr. Kazemi’s great work in catching what other orthodontists missed and in helping me to prevent what could have been a real problem in the future.
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Kazemi is a very professional and thorough oral surgeon. He provides the information you need to make an important decision; in my case, whether I should have surgery to remove a jaw cyst or not. Overall, he's fantastic at what he does.

Thank you for posting your review!  Can you tell me a little bit more about the process of getting an implant that you followed?  What was the synthetic bone for? Did it replace part of your jaw that was excised because of the cyst or was it to build out your jaw for the implant?  Is the tooth-portion of the implant made beforehand, or did you get the implant and the new tooth at the same time?  Did they cast the old molar or use a generic?  I'm a little bit confused about the whole process.  Thank you again!