Permanent Black Eye from Restylane - Bellevue, WA

I had Restylane injected under both eyes and...

I had Restylane injected under both eyes and around my mouth in November 2011. Under my eyes, It looked like it was injected in the wrong spot (not in the depressions under my eyes, but below that). It looked like I had ridges under my eyes. I went back 3 times to have it disolved under my right eye and 1 time under my left eye. I am left with what looks like a permanent black eye under my right eye. Around my mouth, you can feel and see the restalyn but it's not nearly as bad as what I'm dealing with around my eyes. Not sure what to do now. It's been 6 months and I just now had a 2nd oppinion. The Dr. I saw said it looked like it was injected too superficially in all areas. He said he could add more under my eyes in the actual depressions to even it out but, I'm leary.

I had Restylane in my nasolabial folds and had a bluish tint that lasted about a year. Then it went away completely. Hope this helps :)

I'm not a doctor but from what I've researched the doctor should be injecting the filler right at the orbital bone... not above the bone (where the eye would be located). Also, the injection should be right on top of the bone. Not in the muscle or in the skin area. He said he " injected superficially in all areas". That tells me that he has no clue what he is doing. In ALL areas? He shouldn't have a syringe in his hand!
Megan, the Doctor I went to is on your Doctor Finder list.....losing hope.

Please don't lose hope. Often times it seems different doctors take different approaches to things. Perhaps if you made appointments with a couple other doctors you could just discuss what is bothering you with them, then after considering what they have to say, you could go with whoever you felt most comfortable with.

The same black eye has happened to me. It has been a year and a half and I have dark rings around my eyes and it looks swollen under my hollows. Will the Restyline ever disappear or am I doomed to have these hideous dark rings forever?
Martha M D

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I don't blame you for being leary about trying more product, that would probably be pretty frightening to consider after what you have experienced.

Please, please, please make sure whoever you are getting your second opinion (and remember a 3rd or 4th is fine to get as well) from is a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. I live in Seattle, and there are a lot of great ones in our area. Hopefully you are already in the hands of one of them, but want to make sure you are getting the best care possible.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing & what you decide to do.

Will the Restyline ever dissolve so that the dark swollen circles under my eyes will go away?
Hi Megan, who do you recommend?

All of the doctors who participate on RealSelf are board certified. If you click on the Doctor Finder tab near the top of the page you will be able to search for doctors in your area (Seattle or Bellevue depending on if you want to drive). You can then read their profiles, including Q&A answers & reviews posted by their patients. That way you can get a bit of a feel for them & decide if they are someone you want to consider for treatment.