Mohs Reconstruction on Upper Eyelid - Bellevue, WA

A tiny, flesh-colored "dry patch" of...

A tiny, flesh-colored "dry patch" of skin on my upper eyelid was ever-so-slowly growing over a seven-year period. Five years into it I asked my (previous) dermatologist if it could be cancer and he said, "no; put some hydrocortisone on it". Two years after that I asked him again if it could be cancer and he said no and asked me if we should biopsy it. I said yes and he called a few days later saying it was superficial basal cell carcinoma and then suggested I use Aldara on it (which is not to be used on the eye area!) so Mohs was the only other option.

After two rounds of Mohs the cancer was removed and then Dr. Amadi did an amazing job of closing the wound. Approximately five days later his fantastic associate, Libby, removed the stitches and, aside from daily massage to help minimize scarring, it's virtually impossible to tell I once had a huge piece of my eyelid removed! If I ever have to go through Mohs surgery and reconstruction again, I will head over to see Dr. Amadi or Dr. Naficy again!

WOW is all I can say, except to congratulate you to not "settle", and also take action. No one should have some sort of lesion for YEARS without a biopsy. That was extremely odd treatment from your dermatologist, in my (not educated, but just :THINKING) opinion. You look wonderful!!!
It's pretty amazing what they can do. You must be relieved to be rid of it.

Wow, your final results look fantastic! You can't even tell anything was done. Thanks for sharing your story.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

When I found out I had cancer (sbcc) on my upper eyelid and would need both Mohs and reconstructive surgery I was pretty much in a panic. I knew nothing about plastic surgeons in the area, only that the one my Mohs surgeon was referring me to had some very unfavorable online reviews. So I began calling other local Mohs surgeons and asked who they used for reconstruction in the eyelid area; signs began to point towards Dr. Amadi. I also saw that Dr. Amadi was quite active in the Q&A section of realself.com which led me to believe he was "in tune" with his profession and didn't just go to work and then "check out" once work was done. I also saw the wonderful Heroes of Harborview stories about him at the UW Medicine Eye Institute website. All of this combined with the care and concern he and his staff showed to me during my initial consult made me certain he was the surgeon for the job. Additionally, the place my Mohs surgeon wanted to send me to REFUSED to do my eyelid reconstruction on the same day as the Mohs surgery. When I spoke with Dr. Amadi's staff, they were more than willing to perform the reconstruction immediately after the Mohs surgery and felt, as I did, that this would be the best course of action due to swelling, etc. if I had to wait a whole day for reconstruction. Where the other surgeon's office seemed to fall short, Dr. Amadi's office was on top of everything and exuded much more care, compassion, and professionalism. And, just as expected, on the day of my Mohs surgery, they were ready for me to come right on over (I had a light dressing on my Mohs wound; the Mohs surgery was performed at a different facility about a mile or two away) and they let hubby and me wait in a super-comfy, private room until they were ready to take me in for the reconstructive surgery. When I woke from the surgery, I felt as though I had just had a great rest! Following surgery I was amazed to see I had virtually no bruising, just the swelling you would expect, and Dr. Amadi's staff was available 24x7 to answer any concerns or questions. Unparalleled "customer service".