Still Undecided... - Bay Area, CA

It probably comes as no surprise that I have hated...

It probably comes as no surprise that I have hated my nose for a long time. It was perfectly fine until I was about 12 or 13 and then it just got horrible. Plastic surgery was never an option because I couldn't afford it so I just lived with my nose and have been self conscious about it every day for the last 14 years.

Things are different now. A few weeks ago it occurred to me that plastic surgery is a viable option. I was really exited and made up my mind that I would like to go through with it. I stumbled upon RealSelf and have been floored by all the success stories. It made me feel even better about the decision. Based on positive reviews and patient experiences, I even picked the surgeon I would like to schedule a consultation with at the beginning of the year. Everything seemed to be lining up.

In the spirit of being extremely paranoid and cautious about everything, I started searching the Internet regarding anesthesia risks and plastic surgery deaths. That was enough to halt my plans and really make me rethink this procedure. I'm basically terrified now and wonder if the risks are worth it.

For those of you who have gone through the surgery, did you have a similar fear? How did you get over it? I've never had surgery before and am reluctant to have elective surgery. A lot of the reviews I have read don't seem to address the risks or come off as non-chalant about the seriousness of surgery. Any feedback you have would be so helpful. I really hate my nose and would love to fix it, but now I'm freaking out. Thanks!