Nose Keeps Changing - Baltimore, MD

I always hated my nose as it grew bigger as i got...

i always hated my nose as it grew bigger as i got older. i come from a family of really ugly and wide noses, and i hated it. I had rhinoplasty, and when the splint came off, it was gorgeous, but it keeps changing everyday and it looks like my old nose somedays. However, i did tell my PS i wanted a subtle change,a nd that's exactly what i got, but nosw i feel like i want a drastic change (cosmetic surgery is addictive.lol) i hope the nose keeps shrinking. I had septal cartilage to augment my bridge, and that's all i know. I'm thinking of getting a revision in the future, but i'll watch my nose for another 2 years, and i'll make my final decision.

steroid shotd

so i had steroid shots in february (8 months post op) because i didn't like my tip. my nose was too swollen and much bigger for about 5 days, and i looked horrible. i didn't notice much of a difference after the steroid shot. my tip still looks really wide and i'm considering a revision at or before my 2 year mark, where i will have an open rhinoplasty (my primary rhinoplasty was closed) so my surgeon can see my tip cartilages and do something about them. my nose looks a lot better than my original nose so i'm not too bothered but i want a better nose and i'm willing to take a chance.

almost 1 year post surgery

i have decided to crop out my face and post a picture of what my nose looks like today. i am not pleased at all, and i will be having a revision. like i said earlier, it's all my fault, i asked for extremely subtle rhinoplasty because i was scared of being judged by people and i was scared of looking like michael jackson or lil kim. i will also post a picture of what my nose looked like before surgery. my main problem was my wide and fat tip, and the tip looks exactly the same to me.

my nose journey

my problem with my nose now is the bulbous tip. the pictures do not show how thick or wide my tip is. compared to me features my nose looks big and the tip looks thick too. i will be having a revision rhinoplasty and this time, i will opt for an open rhinoplasty so my doctor can get a good look inside my nose.

more pictures

more pictures
dr kofi boahene

amazing doctor who gives subtle rhinoplasty. one of the best doctors for african american noses.

Hi bellenez! I replied to your message on my review page. What happened to your pics?
hi. i deleted my pictures after a while.
Just like you, I asked for extremely subtle change and my tip look WORSE because of the subtle change, Just looks wrong with the rest of my nose (Also my PS gave me other problems) I will definitely be getting a revision. I don't even care anymore about being judged. I do wish I never got a surgery to begin with but now I am so unhappy that I have to do something about it. Are you getting the revision with Dr. B?
yes, i'm considering him for a revision, but i'm also considering some other doctors.
i have learned never to ask for a subtle change. it's better to tell the doctor you want to look your best. i cared about people noticing my nose, and now i might have to pay extra money because i want a better nose.
You have said it. Don't ask for a subtle change.
Thank you for sharing your review and pictures, I think it turned out really well, he literally gave you exactly what you wanted, your nose but slightly smaller, it's definitely subtle but I can tell a difference. One thing I noticed with his patients is that their swelling seems pretty minimal which is a great thing. I am so looking forward to my surgery with him in a few weeks. Did you also get a lip lift? Couldn't tell but in one pic it looks like maybe you did. If so did the same doc do the procedure, and are you satisfied with it?
oh no, i didn't get a lip lift. it must've been how i cropped the pictures.
Hi, bellenez. Thank you for sharing your story. Ive heard rhinoplasty on thick skin can be tricky, and the true result may take awhile. Do you have any recent pics of your nose?
Hi bellenez, thank you for courageously sharing your honest opinion. It's hard to tell, but do you have a deeper indentation on one side of your nose?
i don't have any indentations. but i feel that the placement of the septal cartilage is lower on one side of my nose and higher on another side, so it makes my nostrils look uneven from the base. but you can tell from looking at my face.
I'm a black female and i'm looking to have a revision done to remove my bulbous tip as well what doctor will you be going to for your revision?
to be on the safe side, i might still go with dr boahene, but i'm also looking at dr epstein, dr basher, dr ghavami, dr guida, dr yagoda, and dr anil shah.
Have you heard about Dr Lawrence A Lefkoff? There's a woman on this site that has the results I want she apparently went to Dr. Lefkoff. I haven't been able to find other reviews on him and she said he has no before and after photos of his Black patients which I find very odd. Other than him I have one other surgeon in mind but the reviews for him don't include before and after photos.
never heard of him, but i think you should maybe have a consultation first and see if he has pictures in his office. most patients sign a form where they don't want their rhinoplasty to be made public, so it's hard sometimes getting pictures. to be on the safe side, i would go with surgeons who have experience, including pictures of what they've done.
It's hard to tell if the nose fits your face because wr can't see your full face. So when do you plan to have the revision?
probably 2 years post op
Just curious did he do anything to the cartilage in your tip Or the bridge of your nose or no?
he augmented my bridge with a little septal cartilage, and i had closed rhinoplasty, so i'm assuming he couldn't do much to the tip (which was my main reason for rhinoplasty), maybe a bit of septal grafts, but i'm not sure. he warned me about closed rhinoplasty, and he had to talk me into accepting a septal graft to my bridge, as i didn't want anything done to my bridge. however, my bridge is what i like best about my nose. i have now discovered that in order to achieve best results in tip reduction, open rhinoplasty must be done to get a good look.
I am supposed to get steroids shot when I go for a follow up next month to see dr. Boahene. Did you get those also when you were healing? I wonder why your nose got worse after the shots? Will you have the revision soon?
hi. i got steroid shots at 8 months post op in february. my nose only looked worse for 5 days because it was extremely swollen. i didn't see a change in my nose after the steroid shots. i'm thinking of having a revision around the 2 year mark, i have bulbous nose so i want to see if my nose is big due to swelling. however, i take full responsibility for my nose problem because i asked him for a very subtle change because i was scared of judgement from people and i didn't want others to notice, so i had a closed rhinoplasty. i didn't want him to augment my bridge but he insisted that my nose would not look good if only took in the nostril (which is initially what i wanted to do). i was really scared of having surgery and now i might be going to a revision, i wish i wasn't scared the first time, but when i think of michael jackson, jessica white and lil kim, i don't want my nose to end up like that.
You're doing the right thing by waiting to see if things will improve before deciding on revision. Revision is usually harder to perform and for me also the recovery was harder. But I'm glad it's over. It will be nice if you post pictures so we can give you our opinions. It helps to have others tell you what they see. I hope everything will go well for you. Please keep us updated.
Can you post before and after pictures of your nose? You can crop your face out of the picture so that it only shows your nose.
i am actually thinking of posting pictures, so i might just post one by next month so people can see.
Hi Bellenez, The title of your post and story reminds me of my rhinoplasty struggles. I have had my nose fixed 3x all by the same surgeon which was a mistake on my part. I should have gone to someone else and maybe they would have got it right the first time and I wouldnt have had this problem. He does have good reviews but he also has quite a few negative ones as I have just found out. My nose isnt horrible but it def could have looked better. I too liked my nose after surgery but shortly after it changed. The tip started drooping and it looked bulbous. It reminded me of my old nose and it def didnt look like I had a nose job. More like I needed one so that wasnt good. He did take a bump off the bridge so I was happy with that but the overall shape of it changed somehow. He doesnt give me any answers either. Please check out my post on here. I also have pictures posted too. It sounds like your having similar issues in that its changing in appearance. If your still unhappy after the one year mark I would go back and tell the surgeon. Maybe he can help you. If not you might want to find another PS. Good luck!