Juvederm is Great but Not for Under the Eyes - Baltimore, MD

I’ve had filler injected in my nasolabial folds,...

I’ve had filler injected in my nasolabial folds, lips, chin, and under my eyes for my under eye hollows. I’ve had juvederm injected under the eyes probably 3 or 4 times in the last few years by different injectors (NPs, dermatologists, and occularplastic surgeons). I’ve noticed 2 major problems with juvederm under the eyes. One is that they don’t inject you in the actual hollow because it will cause lumpiness, instead they inject you on the periorbital bone, attempting to bump it out a little and smooth out your under eye hollows. Now, if your bone is already strong, it ends up sitting on your bone and making your hollows look worse. The second issue is that juvederm under the eyes is visible if you have even slightly thin skin. In natural light, it’s not noticeable, but in fluorescent lights it’s really noticeable. I even see it on my friends who I would say have had success with juvederm under the eyes (they don’t have hollows, more sagging cheeks). Even on them, the filler addressed the sagging skin, but the filler is still visible. It’s a bluish or a brownish discoloration. Also, it’s important to keep in mind that this filler is not permanent but it can last years under the eyes. Because that part of the face is pretty static, it really stays put. I ended up deciding to have mine dissolved after much consideration. I still love juvederm for other areas of the face but under the eyes is way too risky.