Botched Revision - Baltimore, MD

I want to start off by saying i battled back and...

I want to start off by saying i battled back and forth with myself on weather i should write this review because i would open myself up up criticism and judgment from others but i figured if i had someone who i could have learned from their mistakes it would have helped me. This is my honest and true review. I had my first rhinoplasty in 2010 it was by a surgeon who was not qualified in the least bit to work with African American noses and i believe i was her first ever "ethnic" rhinoplasty. I've always hated my nose, it's something I've been teased about all my life so when i finally was able to save up enough money i consulted with two surgeons, the first was dr mobley and my surgeon Dr barr, my gut told me neither were really qualified for what i was wanting/needed but if i had to choose i definetly would have gone with Dr Mobley, the reason i choose to go with Dr barr was due to the cost being lower. Long story short i ended up hating the results! My nose was left uneven and left disphormed, after a year of no change she agreed so i had a revision which made things i would say 1% better.

A year had gone by and i knew i had to have another revision, this time i did extensive research and felt confident that doctor kofi bohene was the answer to my prayers! I had surgery with him early january of 2012, my goals were to narrow the nose, reduce the nostrils and give me a smaller tip, all which he said could be achieved but one thing i would have to do on my end was be patient with the results. Immediately after having my cast off i noticed my nose was defiantly smaller but that the bone he used to form my bridge was shifted waay to the left instead of being in the middle like a normal nose and that my nostrils were noticeably not symmetric.

I had flew from another state and my flight was due to leave the following day, he assured me that as long as i taped the nose to move the bone back towards the middle that would correct it, and as time went on the insymmetric in the nostrils would become even. I would say five months after surgery i came to the conclusion that the bone shifting was not going to move any further and that the swelling had increased instead of decresed which made my nose look 10× worse then my early stages of having the cast off. I reached out to him and he told me to schedule a visit to fly out to address the bone and swelling. He gave me a kenalog injection for the swelling and juverdem a temporary filler to camaflodge the shifting of the bone pertruding to the left and fill In the areas where the bone should have filed to the right side to make things even. He also used the filler on my nostrils to help camaflodge/fill the insammetric areas.

After that visit i could honestly say things looked better. After a few months i noticed the filler had started to disappear. Instead of spending over another $1000 in expenses i decided i would go to a local doctor to have them inject the same temp filler, which by the way I've been having to get injected every 3months to keep up with the camafloging. I would say about over a year into doing this i was fed up and could not afford to pay 450-500 to get a temp filler when I've already spent over 25k in medical and travel expenses. Frustrated i reached out to him and he told me to fly out again to see what he can do. At that time i had the filler reinjected so he pretty much told me There was nothing he could do to address that issue since there was a filler in and if he used a permenete filler it would contriact and would not know where to place it since there was already a filler, at the time it made sense but now looking back i wish he had let me know ahead of time so i could have either stopped getting the filler or had it dissolved by my local doctor. He did however performe an in office procedure witch took about 3 and a half hours where he "fixed" my nostrils to where i would no longer need to get the temp filler, he also did something else with them to where when i smile my nostrils would not spread out as much, and shaved down a bump in the middle of my nose that had formed.

After this in office produce i was given stitches and bandages for the blood and sent on my way. I looked 1000x worse i felt like my nose was 10x bigger specially in the tip and nostril area. It will be a year in October since i had this in office procedure and my nose looks worse then it ever has. I have reached out to him several times but his pretty much told me his done all he can do. I plan on getting my fourth revision with dr jason s hamilton in california within the next 6-7month's once i have the funds. I've done a phone consult and plan to do a in person one within the next 2-3 month's. He seems very confident that he can help bring the asymmetry back to my nose and harmony to help balance instead of take away from my other features, and help end this nightmare of botched rhinoplasties I've had. A part of my feels bad for writing this review because dr boahene is hands down an amazing person, and has been nice i would say throughout most of the process, but i just wish my results came out half as good as his level of "customer service" sorry for this loooong review but i really wanted to share my experiance to help others. The pictures I've posted are how my nose looks now.

pictures of before surgery and after

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

He was pleasant just my results are horrible!

Seems like Dr B is doing some reputation management by the name of InAllHonstee.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Wow you're absolutely disgusting. Telling the reviewer " She's needs to talk to the first DR, Jesus or her momma and daddy for mating but she's not going to lie on my Dr." is a below the belt statement and shows how insensitive and desperate to protect Dr. B you really are. Nobody believes you at this point or cares what you have to say. For someone who claims to be able to "read between the lines" you do a very poor job of it. I think that along with credibility issues you've now added reading comprehension issues and sociopathic behavior to your resume'. Good on you. Oh and btw she never claimed she was going back to Dr. B only that he called her and tried to find a resolution. She still intends on getting a second and possibly third consultation by different doctors. Let's see how many more times you can comment and further drive Dr. B's reputation into the ground with your insensitive posts and maniacal rants.
Wait this review is unjust. You cannot blame him for helping you. Dr B is a great guy. Who is passionate about his craft. You gave him a negative review when its not merited. Most doctors wouldn't have gone out of there way to help you. That's wrong. You should delete it or re-do it honestly.
How is it unjust when he tried to originally camouflage the problem instead of fixing it? Did you even read the review? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions when it comes to plastic surgeons and she wrote her review based on her own experiences. She provided pictures as proof and even said she was initially happy with his work except for the crooked bridge and asymmetrical nostrils. It's the subsequent aftercare that she was not too thrilled about. This review is completely fair and unbiased. I suggest you reread the review and take special note on how he tried to originally camouflaged the problem instead of fixing it and in the end just told her there was nothing more he could do for her and dropped her as a patient.
“I want to start off by saying I battled back and forth with myself on weather I should write this review” - She didnt want to write it, possibly because there is an underline issue. “I had my first rhinoplasty in 2010 it was by a surgeon who was not qualified in the least bit to work with African American noses.” - So basically the first doctor jacked her up because they were not qualified. “when I finally was able to save up enough money I consulted with two surgeons.” - She basically did/does not have money to pay for the surgery. “dr mobley and my surgeon Dr barr, my gut told me neither were really qualified for what I was wanting/needed but if I had to choose I definetly would have gone with Dr Mobley, the reason I choose to go with Dr barr was due to the cost being lower.” - She admits she did not have the money to pay for it. She opted to go with the cheapest doctor even when she felt they were not qualified. “ Long story short I ended up hating the results!” - She hated the results Dr Barr gave her. The mid part of her comment is that she is was not pleased that the revision he gave her did not last. She then went on to talk about cost again. “he "fixed" my nostrils to where I would no longer need to get the temp filler, he also did something else with them to where when I smile my nostrils would not spread out as much, and shaved down a bump in the middle of my nose that had formed. “ He fixed her nose. Now she wants something else. Mind you the Dr. is constantly making trying to please her, but she admits in the beginning she always has hated her nose, thus it could be a mental thing. She should bring a photo to the Dr in Beverly Hills that she is using for her 4th revision. Just be crystal clear and say what she wants. She talks about the tip being to big, thus she needs to stop trying to keep the ethnic feature aspect. Go for something like a celebs she likes. Truly I understand it is her opinion in her statement, but the reason I say its not merited is because the review should be for the first doctor he is the one that gave her the issue. To grade Dr B with ones, that is not right, because she admits he fixed her nostrils. I just wouldn’t want a good doctor to get a bad review.
She admits he did fix her bridge and nostrils with a "in office procedure" after she'd flown back and forth many times spending money and only having the problem camouflaged. The in office procedure did fix the crooked bridge and uneven nostrils from Dr. B's original surgery. However, the result of the in office procedure made her nose look a 1000x worse as a result of swelling that never truly subsided. The procedure was done and she was not put into a cast afterwards and very little aftercare was done to insure proper healing after the in office procedure as opposed to the original surgery. Look I notice you only have now 2 comments on here and all of them having to do with this review. Can I ask what specifically brought you to this review? You don't happen to be a marketing person in charge of protecting Dr. B's reputation or refuting any negative reviews of his are you? It's okay if you feel the review is unjust but again that's *your opinion*. The reviewer stated that she thought Dr. B was a wonderful guy but that in no way translates to being a great surgeon or a doctor that provides exceptional aftercare. I've always said I'd rather have a Dr. House who is rude but gets results vs. a Dr. Wilson who's exceptionally nice but fails to provide the results I'm looking for. Now that I've said all that I will go onto say that this review in no way makes Dr. B a bad surgeon. There are plenty of amazing surgeons that can't always give the patient what they're looking for. People seem to forget a persons own healing ability factors into all of this so a surgeon could be absolutely amazing and do everything right but if a persons own body doesn't do it's job in healing well for any reason than no amount of surgery will help. Finally, after reading this review several times I stand by my assessment that the after care was inadequate and temp filler should have never been used to camouflage the problem. As far as the comment of money goes the answer to this is obvious. Many people on this site can only save up for one surgery and are not wealthy enough to have multiple procedures so they expect results the first time. The fact that you even dissected that review leads me to believe that you must be part of that 1% who is out of touch with the other 99% of the people in this world. It takes time for the average person to save up money for surgery. When they have it they're counting on only having the surgery once and achieving the results that both they and the surgeon agreed upon. Nobody is stopping you from seeing Dr. B. If he's the surgeon you're looking at and you're not some marketing person working for him than by all means go to him but please don't try to silence / censor someones review just because you don't agree with them.
InAllHonestee, what you are saying makes no sense. I made a decision that I was not going to reply anymore to any comments like yours because all it does is break my spirit and turns into a back and forth match. You are entailed to you opinion as am I. Let me just start off by saying that I in all honesty think you either work for Dr B's office or are some way affiliated. You activated you account on 9/16/14 and I'm the only review you have commented on? If are or were a patient of Dr B's and you know how great of a doctor he is why not write about your experience and post pictures which would help to validate how great of a doctor he is and take away from my negative review instead of telling me to take mine down? Yes I did go back and forth about weather I should write this review because this whole process of walking around day to day, not being able to look at myself in the mirror without hating what I see has been emotionally and mentally draining enough. I knew by writing a review on a doctor who has otherwise been getting rave reviews would open myself up to complete strangers who do not know me from a hole in the wall to pass judgment/criticism which would only add fuel to my pain. You are completely right with saying my previous doctor jacked me up, which is why I had a revision hence the word “revision” and why I went to Dr B to fix what was "jacked up" as you say. You’re also again right in saying that I did not have enough money to go with my doctor of instinct and choice "Dr Mobley" because I could not afford to. I was honest and upfront about that. I do not make $10000 a year. I work a regular 9-5 like most people and worked hard to save up but out of impulse made a not so great decision in going with a doctor simply out of the fee being in my means at the time. This is a mistake I was honest in telling in my review. I could have opted to leave all of that out but I waned to give a full and honest review. So others out there can learn from the mistakes I made. To address your comment about Dr B fixing my nose, yes he did address and fix some errors that resulted in the surgery I had with HIM but not all. Before I had the in office procedure there was an indentation/gap on my left right nostril by the tip that I had to get filled with a temp filler to camouflage. Dr B himself when I flew out the second time after my surgery administered this filler and confirmed this. I let him know that every few months I had to keep getting it re-injected in not only the bridge but also the nostril which was both expensive and extremely painful. So he said he would fix it by putting in a graft but he did not have it in his office. The third time I flew out I had pointed it out again so I just assumed it would have been addressed/fixed but It was not. I also pointed out to him that when I smile the issue is even more visible so he said he would fix that which he did address. I had a bump that formed mid way through the bridge which was never there pre surgery with him that he also addressed/fixed. I want to let it be known that Dr B did call me saying a patient of his had brought my review to his attention and he looked at the review and since there was mention of a lawsuit he would have to give my patients file to some relations department that handles that sort of thing outside his office. He also told me when I voiced to him the reason for me writing my review and my concerns that I voiced that he thought we had a plan to address the bridge shifting and left nostril collapsing. I was shocked because for the past I don't know how many months have been trying to schedule a phone consult with him because his emails do not make any sense when we were emailing back and forth which would make it extremely hard to understand him. This is something I voiced several times but was never able to get him to keep the phone schedualed consults which I have all proof of in my emails. It took me having to write this review for him to call me. When I asked him why he would use a temp filler to begin with his response to me was he did not have an exact answer since it was over a year ago but knowing himself his best judgment for addressing the issue at the time was to use a temp filler. He told me I had to wait till the filler completely dissolves for him to able to now go in and put in Permanente filler. For the filler to dissolve on its own it takes 6-8month. If I had if dissolved with an enzyme “which he recommended against me doing” I would have to wait a month or two before going back to him to fill it with the permanent filler. But my thing is why even inject someone with temp filler to begin with? “I was not aware it was a temp filler until it started to dissolve" when there was a permanent fix to the problem and knowing I’m an out of town patient. I'm beyond self conscious with the way my nose looks now even with a filler so to have to walk around for 6-8 months or 1-2months with nothing camouflaging the indentation/shifting would be horrendous. And I honestly don’t think I’m at a place emotionally or mentally to deal with that. When I asked him why he did not put the graft in my left nostril when he did the in office procedure he again had no real explanation, expect for he thought we were going to address it. Which makes no sense because he was already working on my nostrils in the in office procedure, so why not address it then. Instead of at a later time when I'm healed and have to open up the nostril again which would only cause me go through the wound healing process a forth time. This is beyond frustrating! Yes I admit I was happy with my results after surgery except for the bridge shifting and nostril. I'm shore if you had a bone shifting all the way to the left side of your face, and indention on one side and a visible indention/gap on your nostrils you would also be unhappy. The reason Dr B agreed to address these thing is because it was a viable/visible concern. You know nothing about me to say I'm trying to achieve a celebrity nose. What I am trying to achieve is a result that is harmonious to the rest of my facial features, a result that does not take away from the rest of my face and is the vocal point of my face. I will be a 1100% honest Dr B as a person is a great guy, which I said in my review. My results on the other hand I FEEL like were not. Unfortunately in the star ratings section there was not an option to rate his personality. My review is based solely on my results. That is another main reason I was hesitant to write the review is because he was a nice guy, but again my results were not up to par. Me writing this review is and was not in any way shape or form to bash Dr B or try to stop people from going to him. It was simply to tell my story/experience which I thought is what this community/forum was for?
You signed up only to comment on this review. I'd say this person definitely works for Dr. B or is Dr B himself. And this is why I don't trust RS.
I do not work for Dr. B. If I did I would share it. I was looking online yesterday at Dr's reviews when i commented. I just really think you and he should talk about the issue, as you are doing. He is not the type to not care about people. Also when I said to go for a celeb nose it was not a dig/cut down it was to get what you wanted. You stated the tip was to bulbous (I believe) most of the noses that Hale, B, and the rest of them have are not and they complement their faces. I pray it works out for you and Im sure the doctor will help you.
If you don't work for him/have not had surgery with him how would you know he isn't the type to not care about people? I'm just curious
Lamia - exactly! Inallhonestee you just got *busted* which puts your practice in a really bad light. Next time you want to do some online damage control, have Dr B sincerely explain his side of the story, I think that would have gone over much better and earned more respect. Or don't say anything at all. But now with this, I have zero respect for how this reputation management is handled and shows that you are like 98% of PS's on this forum trying to cover up bad results. The human body is not perfect, mistakes happen, everyone is different in their results. Now I'm definitely crossing you off my list of potential plastic surgeons, just for that lousy deceitful reputation management attempt.
Dr B and I are working on a project from my graduation ceremony. He is a good guy who is skilled. I have a lot of work he and other doctors are doing. No disrespect to anyone, but it seems like the issue is not with him. Botched: means to carry out (a task) badly or carelessly from what she said above, he did not do so. He was pleasant just my results are horrible! 1 out of 5 stars Overall rating 1 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner 1 out of 5 stars Answered my questions 1 out of 5 stars After care follow-up 1 out of 5 stars Time spent with me 3 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness 1 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy 4 out of 5 stars Payment process 2 out of 5 stars Wait times It seems like (to me), she was cool with everything, but now is tripping. She should have spoken up. If you don’t like something…say it. Don’t pretend like your okay with it then get on the internet a blast people. This is his career. That’s wrong. She should have written the review for the first doctor. He is not the type that would let you leave the office unsatisfied. That’s not him. She herself said she did not want to write it…that’s because it more than likely is not completely true. That was her conscience telling her not to. Like 1 out of 5 for bedside manner, time spent with her, etc Like she said herself he went above and beyond to help her. When I did my consultation he was cool. Truthfully, based on the information she provided and the categories above for her to give him a one is pretty bad. Any who…I pray she gets help and the results she’s after. It’s just sad that she saying this. Hope she contacts him and they come to an agreement. He is a great doctor. Also this topic was handle yesterday, thus I do not want to keep going back and forth.
FYI- Im in IL, he's in MD. Try again. Sad you cant read between the lines (no pun intended) in her comment. That's all.
1) You work with him so you're going to be biased. 2) Again reread her review. She had tried multiple times to speak to him in regards to her poor results and the poor outcome regarding a crooked bridge and uneven nostrils were a direct result of the surgery she had with Dr. B. 3) It wasn't until this review was posted that Dr. B actually made an attempt to finally get a hold of her and offer some resolution and that was only after second and third opinions and legal action were discussed. 4) If she hadn't posted this review and remained quiet I doubt the doctor would have even called her and made the attempt at resolution. 5) Again nobody is saying he's a bad guy or a poor surgeon. Posh was happy with her nose up until her bridge warped and the nostrils became uneven. Had he just fixed those in surgery and not an in office procedure and provided her with the same type of after care he offered immediately after the first surgery we wouldn't be having this conversation. 6) You work with him and you've had a consultation done by him? That's rather odd but okay. Either way you failed to disclose all of this in your initial critique of Posh's review so you've lost all credibility with me and I'm sure many other people. Please refrain from commenting any further. You're not only making yourself look bad but you're also causing further damage to Dr. B's reputation by doing so. I know you're trying to help but you're not.
Keep digging that hole lol none of that makes sense!
Wow, you just can't stop digging can you? Again you've already admitted to working with him which doesn't make you impartial concerning Dr. B. People have already expressed concern about you and by further commenting and changing your story / adding to it i.e. "Dr B and I are working on a project from my graduation ceremony." and "When I did my consultation he was cool." makes you look less and less honest. You're not only doing yourself a disservice by continuing to comment but you're also further damaging Dr. B's reputation. Please stop.
^^^ agreed Johnny
wow! so sorry to hear this and thank you for sharing. this is what this community is for! to help others like me get a full perspective of your experiences. i had a consult with dr hamilton but the lack of pictures/reviews keep me hesitant with moving forward with him. I hope you share your experience with him.
Going under theknife is not a play game. You are actually the 1st person Complaining about Dr Boahene. I know for a fact that doing a revision is no joke because of the scars tissues and maybe the removal of too much cartilage. Hugs girl. Be strong and let your nose rest for a while before going into another surgery. Best of luck
She's not the first person to complain about Dr. Boahene. There is another woman on here that's doing a revision with him because she didn't like the outcome of the first surgery he performed on her.
Could you name the person ? Because this is the first I have seen. Having a consultation with him next week. I have a medical background so I know surgeries cann't have 100% success rate, particularly with revisions. Mine is not a revision by the way.
I think the user name is bellenez Check the link http://www.realself.com/review/baltimore-md-rhinoplasty-nose-changing
Hi Nosey, I'm trying to find it again but I think she may have taken it down. You can search the comments section on here / Zoosters webpage and there maybe something on there. Basically she requested a subtle change from Dr. Boahene and although he did a great job with her bridge she stated her tip looked exactly the same and she was extremely dissatisfied with it. Dr, Boahene stated to wait a year and she did and nothing changed. She did say it was her fault for asking for a "subtle change" but my view on this is when you go in for the consult he does an image of before and after after talking to you about how'd like your nose. After seeing the image and having the surgery you expect your outcome to be similar to what's displayed on the image. Now of course a lot of things such as healing play a role in that but if you have absolutely no change in the tip then that to me is a sign of a poor surgical result . Another thing is the poor after care that's been written about with Dr. Boahene. If he indeed used "filler" to just camouflage the problem rather than fix it surgically then that to me is unacceptable. I don't make what a plastic surgeon makes so I can't afford to keep having surgery after surgery. If a doctor messes up and the outcome isn't what we agreed upon I expect him to attempt to fix it rather than just try to camouflage the problem and then eventually wash his hands of you as he did in this case. Remember the hallmark of a good surgeon is not just his skill but also his willingness to provide you the aftercare you may require should things go awry. Dr. B has gained a lot of popularity through this site and over the years and it's become increasingly more difficult to reach him as a result as that of course is to be expected when ones popularity rises. However despite that a patient should never be discarded or have their problems simply camouflaged for the sake of a quick fix and to get them out of your office so you can see the next patient. I've had doctors in the past like that, that just took my money, performed the procedure, and when I had a problem they suddenly became unreachable. As I stated earlier in my comments if Posh ends up getting a second opinion from a second surgeon who finds that Dr. B did indeed commit errors in the aftercare of Posh then he should willingly give back her money.
Yes that's her! Thanks Foxy, I couldn't find it myself.