Desperately Needed a Breast Reduction but Wish I Had Gone Elsewhere - Bala Cynwyd, PA

After about a decade of suffering from huge...

After about a decade of suffering from huge breasts, I finally got up the courage to seek out a reduction. I had tried everything: losing weight, doing exercises to strengthen my back and my core, acupuncture, massage, physical therapy, specialty bra fittings, etc. I was really scared of losing sensation but I knew that I either did this now when I'm young and healthy or later when my body might not bounce back as quickly.

The surgery went well and the pain was not as bad as I thought it might be. I was fortunate to have a nurse who visited me at my home and was able to assist me with my bandages. Since I live alone and couldn't get regular help, she was a life saver! Frozen peas and ibuprofen were my best friends for a while.

My breasts didn't heal very well. My body didn't respond well to the stitches and so I dealt with ongoing infection both post-op and post-revision. The scarring's significant. I'm pleased with the overall shape but I wish they were smaller. I was really looking forward to being able to walk into any store and find a bra that fits, but I still have to buy bras from specialty bra companies.
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I was impressed by Dr. Pollard's credentials and her friendly, personable demeanor; however, I was ultimately very disappointed with her. She did not disclose a basic aspect of the lollipop procedure she performed on me that caused me to freak out post-op. Her post-surgery instructions were incomplete and I had to keep asking a ton of questions on basic aftercare. The woman who helped me was polite enough but gave me the impression that I was being unreasonable. Since my insurance covered the procedure, I had access to an at-home nurse who showed me how to properly care for my breasts. Apparently some of the information the doctor gave me was wrong! Without her, I don't know what I would've done. At a later appointment Dr. Pollard chastised me for gaining weight, which was totally unrelated to my breasts. She apologized as she should have, but I was laying there with my top off, totally vulnerable, and she's asking me "What's this about? Have you been eating?" I burst into tears. She later gave me kenalog injections to help reduce the raised scars but did not say anything about potential side effects. Now I am left with very thin, blue-ish skin with spider veins which may be permanent. Had I known, I don't know that I would've gone through with them. Overall, I'm very surprised by how poor my experience with Dr. Pollard has been. I wish I had gone elsewhere.

Feel for you that you had and are still going through this. From what I've read in different forums across the web information and post operative support seem to be a real common problem. Unfortunately it is very hard to get info on isn't it? If some of the patients have had surgeries and no the drill it doesn't come up, or if they have no issues it doesn't come up. And I think good supportive staff is important to but doesn't get discussed much. There are no reviews anywhere I can find for plastic surgeons/breast reduction in Dayton so I'm sort of terrified. Signed up for two consultations (one is costing 75.00!) with totally random Dr.s. Hope your spider veins and scars get better. You might try some of those scar-away silicon strips that look like band-aids. Some people have good results with them though it takes awhile. You can get them on Amazon. Hugs and thanks for the review.
Oh wow! Someone recommended her for my br but for some strange reason I missed THREE scheduled consultations at her office. Once it was traffic, then it was raining heavily, it was like not meant to be. Now reading about your experience makes me glad fate intervened. You should try Dr. lohner if you decide to go for a revision. He's in Bryn Mawr, and does br's ar Bryn Mawr hospital.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. What size were u to begin with and what size are you now? This sounds terrible, what an unprofessional experience.