Retin-A Gave Me More Wrinkles & Blue Veins Under my Eyes

I'm only 21 and i had fine lines on my...

I'm only 21 and i had fine lines on my forehead so i read up on Retin a and decided to try it to prevent aging and fix any damage i had. WORST IDEA OF MY LIFE!

I used it for 3 months at 0.5% in a cream base working up from once a week to about 3 times a week. I moisturised with spf,barely in the sun at all, waited 30 minutes after washing before i applied a pea sized amount, i eat well, dont smoke & i exercise. I did everything correctly!

I noticed fine lines developing but i assumed it was the "ugly" stage everyone had been talking about and that it'd pass. I was forced to stop because i got a bad rash on the lower part of my face from a face cream i had used only to find that those fine lines i thought were normal didn't want to shift from my face!

It has been about 6-7 weeks of not being on retin-a and if anything i may have gotten a marginal improvement! I'm trying to hold hope because i do see that the marks left from the rash are still healing. The lines that most concern me are the ones around my eyes which i didnt have before retin a. Even some on the orbital rim.

I did read a doctor respond in defense of retin a saying that it could be dynamic wrinkles around the eye and suggested botox. The lines have obviously come about by the way i smile, but the thing is.. I wouldnt have needed it if i didn't use retin a!!

So if anyone can give me any suggestions on what to do next, explain whats going on or if anyone has experienced this and pulled through, please let me know because its causing me alot of anxiety & i'd appreciate it alot :(
I also have blue veins under my eyes due to retin a aswell. Any treatments that get rid of those?

I just wanted to add that i am aware that retin a works for alot of people, it's just unfortunate that it didn't for me. Just a note for people to be careful, start slow and if you have sensitive thin skin try an alternative first!

*0.05% not 0.5%

*0.05% not 0.5%

Its what happens dead skin needs to be rubbed of lightly!! Use vaseline before u go to hed and during the day time use olive oil and give ur self a brake from retin a .. You will see a big improvment I hope this helps u...

Hi Shimmy,

Welcome to the Retin A community. Oh my, no fun what you went through. Do you still have a rash? Did you go see a dermatologist about any of these problems? Please keep us updated of your next step.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Thank you!
No i don't have the rash anymore. It broke out in the form of acne and im now just dealing with any left over reddness/scabs.
I have seen a GP and lot of skin therapists at the moment. I'm still in line waiting to see a dermatologist.

Well I'm glad the rash went away and you are in line to see someone. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

So sorry to hear this. I am a lot older than you, but when I was 28 my boyfriend at the time recommended retin-a as a wrinkle preventative (I had flawless skin). He was a doctor. I used the 0.025 version which caused the first wrinkles I ever had under my eyes . The rest of my facial skin responded with bouts of acne, which I had never had until then. Acne can be an immune system response. Since then I have reactions to lots of skin creams so I have to be very careful with what I use. You may be just be dehydrated. Try Shiseido Benefiance eyecream at a department store along with La Prairie cellular eye cream and then buy them off ebay for cheap as samples. They worked for me. To increase skin thickness under the eye as well as getting rid of some darkness there is laser treatment called "N-lite"- please research it- it is FDA approved for under eye wrinkling and works ( I had it done on 2 occasions over the last 6 years)!! I can attest to it (in case the creams are not enough). I am now 46 and have great skin. Also- if you are having bouts of acne a very very low dose accutane will help (like 10 mg a week)- google "low dose accutane skin" and you will see Other than that I would say- if you are 21- be careful what you do to yourself- I know it is easy to think that you are preventing aging and all that, but at this stage try to just focus on great skincare- Like Shiseido or La Prairie Cellular line, and not use harsh exfoliating skin care thinking it will prevent wrinkles- AT 21 your skin will repair damage- just leave it alone a bit, take a multivitamin, eat fish oil and you will see.
Hi BKB im 19 and just started taking a multivitamin and fish oil daily my question about that is what benefits will that give my skin?. also my mother has been using retin-A since she was 20 and tells me i should start using it as well to prevent wrinkles. what do you think?
Also I forgot to mention that I am starting to see lines underneath my mouth starting from the corner down only on my left side especially when i smile..
I can see a point if you use Retin-a (or the milder version refissa) once a month max. I think part of the problem with these potent drugs is that they are hard to not overuse, and it is the excess that causes the problems i.e. instead of preventing wrinkles, will cause them. So go ahead just make sure you dont use it often and dilute it with a very moisturizing cream. Same with the lines around the mouth.

As far as fish oil and multivitamin benefits for the skin go- most people claim that fish oil will help keep the skin naturally hydrated (which means younger). (Then there are other benefits like heart health vascular health etc. ) Vitamins- maybe not so necessary if you eat a well balanced diet. If you notice no benefit then perhaps don't take them. I think they help with health in general, and help the skin heal. That is why I continue to take them.