Redone 25/06/13 10% ALA Used Instead of 20% - Australia, AU

Read the attached after I tell you what happened....

Read the attached after I tell you what happened. I went to the same place that did it last time but Dr Hayden no longer there. Dr Greggs did my skin check and said my face could do with another PDT treatment. 10am they put the ALA on, 12.30 pm the numbing cream, 2pm the lamp. I also put cold sore cream (5% aclivor) on my lips and took 3 paracetamol + codeine 1+ 1/2 hours before lamp. Guess what 15 minutes later no pain or redness. I immediately thought no pain, no gain. Asked the doc if the lamp was too far away. He said makes no difference. It was a different lamp than the one Dr Hayden had used, plus Dr Hayden moved it around the face. Went home to my pre-darkened home, ready to stay away from light for 2-3 days. By Dusk I had to little patches of pink, about the size of 50cents on each side of the tip of my nose. The next morning no difference. I went into the clinic today to see the boss Dr Patrick. I had to wait 1+ 1/2 to see him, but waited because I knew Dr Greggs wasn’t in Wednesdays and I didn’t want to offend him. The doctor looked, and said that he agreed that there was very little reaction. He said that the difference with the last time was not the machine, it was the percent ALA that was used. Last time a 20% mix, this time a 10% mix. I asked “Why”. He answered that some people don’t like the reaction, so they changed the dose. I said that you couldn’t publish the before and after pics if you half the dose. No pain, no gain. He was very nice and suggested they redo it in 2 weeks. For free. He also asked if there was any tingling today when I am in the sun. I said that I had not been in the sun except in the car, and it stung a bit when I was driving towards the sun. He then suggested I go sit in the sun for 15 minutes and the process will continue. He said in the old days they didn’t have the lamps and put the ALA on and sent the patients home to sunbake for half an hour. So I did 20 minutes at my friends place, the 15 minutes each side on my balcony, and we will see what happens with the winter sun. Depending on the result I might wait 3 weeks. Don’t want to have the procedure on sensitive skin, because I’m sure they will fry me next time. hahaha.

Thank you for posting your review.  Let us know how this works out for you.

SkinXam

Great for folks who don't want the big burn, because of the 10% ALA cream, but totally no pain, which I suspected there would be no gain. Today they saw me again, and told me to go sit in the sun for 20 minutes and let the process finish, then come back in 2 weeks and they will do it again. But they will do it with 20% ALA which is what I have had in two prior treatments. In my experience the greater the reaction, the better the end result, and I have had no scarring at all.