Tear Troughs--glad I Did It - Austin, TX

After spending my entire 40 years with pronounced...

After spending my entire 40 years with pronounced tear troughs, I finally decided to do something about it. I was too chicken for surgery, but I wanted to see what I would look like without big hollows under my eyes, so I went for Restylane. I am very nervous in medical settings and this experience assuaged my fears considerably. The dental block--which was painless--completely numbed my upper face so I didn't feel the needle at all. The doctor seemed very invested in getting the look right, and was not in a hurry. I get the feeling he is a perfectionist, which to me is a very desirable trait in a plastic surgeon! About two hours after the procedure, I looked great--the hollows were totally gone. After that, the area began to swell, which I expected. The nurse had given me ice immediately after the procedure and I tried to consistently ice my undereye area for the next couple of days, and use arnica cream. there was some yellow bruising and puffiness, but I went out to dinner the next evening and I don't think the swelling and discoloration were very noticeable with makeup on my face.
All of the staff I encountered here--from the receptionist to the nurse to the business manager--were very friendly and warm. I had been a bit apprehensive since I had never been to a plastic surgeon's office before and had heard stories of other offices being rather unfriendly, but everyone here is relaxed and welcoming. I felt very comfortable the entire time I was there.
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

The doctor has a very straightforward manner and dry sense of humor, which I liked. He is friendly but direct, which made me trust his opinion; I didn't feel as if he was trying to talk me into doing something not in my interest. He did caution me that the filler might not work very effectively in my tear troughs, considering the structure of my face, and I appreciated this--he seemed willing to turn away business if he didn't think it would really help the patient. I went forward with the injections anyway--I had already gotten my nerve up--and am glad that I did. It was virtually painless and so much easier than I had anticipated. I went back for a touch up about 10 days later and am very happy with one eye, whereas the other is better but not perfect. This is basically what the doctor warned me about, though, so I am not that disappointed or surprised. He also talked to me about tear trough surgery and gave a very thorough overview of the process and stages of recovery. I am intending to do this towards the end of this year since I love the way I look with my tear troughs fixed, and it will be more cost-effective in the long run than going back for filler every few months.