Mastectomy to 'Normal' - Austin, TX

When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I decided...

When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I decided on a Double Mastectomy and then reconstruction using expanders and then replacing them with Silicon. After interviewing numerous plastic surgeons in town, I decided on Dr. Haydon. And I'm glad I did. His office promptly set up the surgery for me, even though it was close to Christmas. After the surgery, Dr. Haydon came to visit me over the weekend in the hospital to see how I was doing. Then over the course of a few months I would go into the office to get "expanded". I loved how friendly all the staff were and how attentive Dr. Haydon was to me. Wanda, his nurse, is amazing too. I had my final reconstruction (to switch to silicon) in August 2012 and everything went great. If you didn't know that I had a mastectomy you'd think my breasts were 100% natural (except that they are nice and firm now).

Austin Plastic Surgeon

He was referred by my gynaecologist as well as online through some Breast Cancer Forums. If you are thinking of using Dr. Haydon, my experience is that he loves what he does, is a perfectionist when it comes to his work, so I highly recommend him. His entire staff are also great to deal with.

Hi. Mine are around 400 and 425 each (I was less than a full B cup before my mastectomy), and they are silicon. I must say that my expanders "protuded" more, but my doctor did warn me that my final breasts would not protrude out as much as my expander, but fall more naturally and therefore look a little smaller than what I had in the expander. As for advice between saline or silicon, I can't help there, sorry. All the best with your surgery.
I am getting ready to have my expanders removed and can't decide if I want saline or silicon. If you don't mind me asking what size are the silicone ones that you got ? My doctor is recommending the 800 cc for me. I was a D before my double mastectomy and that is what I would like to be again. I have 900 cc in my expanders now and they are the perfect size. Any advice or help with this would be greatly appreciated...

It is so great to hear that things went well with your reconstruction. How were the fills for you? It seems a lot of ladies experience pain with them, did you?

My fills were not painful, they were uncomfortable at times, and I couldn't sleep very well on my side. But knowing that they were temporary helped with the process. On the days that they were "filled", I felt some pressure, but then got used to the new size. All's well that ends well, isn't it so?

Well, if there is extreme discomfort/pain involved I don't know if the "All's well that ends well" thought applies. I am really glad that wasn't the case for you thought and that you are happy with your outcome. :)