Tummy Tuck (5'6", 145lb)

I am SO nervous going into this, I am only 18...

I am SO nervous going into this, I am only 18 years old. As a child I was quite heavy and lost a very large mount of weight in my teenage years, gaining a smaller scale number, i also gained saggy skin. I still have some extra weight, I am 150 lbs. and 5'6'' height. I still want to lose about 25-30 pounds, but most of the fat I have is located in my stomach area. Do you think that a tummy tuck will be good for me still?

Updated on June 2, 2010:

June 2, 2010 - Today I woke up @ 6:30, having to be at my PS's office @ 7:30. When I arrived at the office, I was scared to death about getting put to sleep, I even cried! My anesthesiologist said that young, healthy girls like myself should have no problems concerning the anesthetics. About 45 minutes after talking to her, and my nurse, my doctor showed up. I was lying on the bed, getting medicine in my arm to calm me down. I remember my doctor coming in and marking my hipbones and being covered with a heated blanket. My memory has faded from what went on there after, I don't remember her putting me to sleep on bit. My surgery lasted from 8:00 til' 11:00, when I tried opening my eyes they kept shutting back considering how sleepy I was still. I finally remember saying I felt sick ( I didn't feel sick ) but I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.. she gave me medicine threw my IV so that I would not throw up.

My doctor said he usually gets about 2lb.'s out of the procedures he makes, he got a little over 5lb.'s with me! - & It's not because I'm overweight whatsoever, I am 5'6" & 145lb.'s. I was amazed he removed so much. I was never in pain when I woke up or when I had to get up into the truck I was riding home with. Right after I got home, I feel straight back to sleep.. I'm telling you this is the best sleep I've had! I don't know what that medicine does for me, but I haven't slept like that in a while.

Today is still the day of my surgery, and I have not encountered significant pain. The only thing I have experienced is discomfort, but at most times I forget & can not believe I've had it done already. I can't look at my stomach because my doctor ordered me to keep my compressant garment on until Friday, when he looks at my pumps for a check-up. The blood pumps are the only thing that bother me, they have a little sting, but nothing real annoying. I'm excited to get them out either this Friday or Monday.

I will post pictures soon so you all can tell me what you think. I just hope it covers my bikini line well, I'm going to the beach in 2 months.

Okay well, I have had NO complications except for...

Okay well, I have had NO complications except for blisters around the incision line because I was allergic to the steri-strips! There going away though, so I'm happy. My belly button looks good, except for the fact that the skin has not dropped back yet - Is this common? & I have kind of a pain under my incision on my left side - Weird ? Or normal ? Anyways, I'm in love with the new me & couldn't ask for more. I'm just wondering about those few things. Thanks!

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. W was so sweet to me, and the nurses also tried their best to comfort me. My anesthesiologist made the world of difference when she told me I had nothing to worry about & I would wake-up. I would recommend Dr. W to anyone, him & the staff are wonderful.

Thanks for responding. Did you use arnica Montana at all? I hear that is supposed to help with swelling.
I didn't really eat the first three days except a little bit of yogurt.. I slept mostly the whole time haha. After the third day I ate lean pockets for about two or three days, and now I'm back to normal eating habits while dieting. Trying to manage my swelling!
Thank you guys for posting all of your thoughts and experiences. It really helps. I am about 23 until I have my tt and ba. Seeing how positive and happy you are with the results really helps me not freak out!!! What did you eat after having the tt...
IF -- you are pregnant , they'll check you day of , they make you pee in a cup to test ; so make sure you're not :)
I had my TT on 5/28. My period arrived on 5/27 THE DAY BEFORE! As you can imagine I was mortified. My PS also said it was not a problem. Only thing is you cannot wear a tampon. The most frustrating part is not being able to take a proper shower for a few days after your surgery. I felt really icky just washing up @ the sink-especially when you're on your period. Are you sure you're not pregnant?
Hi. I have my TT scheduled for this Thursday June 10. I am having the normal freak outs, but in addition, my period is like 20 days late and due any minute now. Does anyone know anything about having your period while you have the surgery? PS says its no problem, but I feel so crappy right now I can't imagine.
I was coming off of my period the day I had surgery. It wasn't a complication at all, and I don't think I'd have a problem if I was on my period. My compression garment has no underneath (So, I can pee & use the restroom without doing anything) SO, your period should be free of complications :)
I am freaking out because July 6 I go into to have tt and silicone breast implants....so I am nervous. How would you rate that pain the days after your tummy tuck? Thank you for posting so fast, you have no idea how much it helps those of us that are freaking out...like me!! :)
I was so nervous, but I can honestly say I've been experienced NO pain! It is wonderful, I am sore but not painful. I would do it again tomorrow if I had to!
I also had my TT on 6/2, i tried to post a review and it said "thank you for your review" but it never posted??? Anyways, I only took the pain meds the day of surgery and 2 whole days after, now I am on tylenol only which i do not need to take often either. I went for post op check up on Friday and my PS said my 2 draines will come out monday also. I will be so happy once they are out but i dont want to rush it since many other people have had to go have aspirations done afterwards from fluid buildup. tt went great, cant wait to see my results, will not get unwrapped til Tomorrow.
I didn't have a pain pump, I misunderstood. I have two drains, no pain pump.
Did your ps use the pain pump? I am nervous due to the fact that my ps doesn't use it.
I'll put pre-op & post-op picture up when I get them from my PS, either tomorrow or monday. Thank you :)
Thanks so much for the update. It sounds like things are going really well. If you have any trouble posting photos, please shoot me a personal message and I'll put them up for you.
Everything I've read says its best to lose as much weight as possible before having a tummy tuck because its not a surgery thats done to help someone loss weight, also, if a person losses alot more weight after having the surgery, the final results may be a little compromised. I don't think overweight means complications; neither do I think a healthy weight means no complication. Its person to person.
Thank you I am trying to make a page however everytime I press submit It keep quoting enter the amount. For some reason it not accepting what I put. anyway I am 5'3 and I WEIGH 180. I am trying to loose weight now I want to be at lease 170 when I recieve my t/t. and hopefully drop to 165 after the t/t
okay I have a question If you are overweight will there be complication?
Many overweight people get tummy tucks done, your risk for surgery goes up some.. but not enough for you not to want to do it. In order to take more fat out you could have lip/tummy tuck - which is done in the same procedure.
I have my surgery on June 23rd, I'm very excited but, like you, the thought of being put to sleep makes me want to just throw up right now. I'm 5'8", 153lbs, not overweight at all, but i just keep telling myself that I'm going to have serious complications. Almost to the point of wanting to cancel the surgery. But I want it so bad I can't bring myself to cancel it. I'm glad everything went well for you, I can't wait to see your pics. Did you PS do lipo on your flanks as well?
No, I had no liposuction whatsoever. That's why I was wondering how he got THAT much weight off me. I talked to my anesthesiologist & she comforted me and said I had .06% chance I wouldn't wake up, or complications would occur. You'll be fine, I'm sure.
okay thanks, reading your posts and some of the others makes me feel alot better. But I guess its just that I've never had major surgery outside of a c-section and that was done with local anesthetic. Thank you!!!
If you were not a healthy person, no doctor would give you the GO ahead for a surgery like a tummy tuck. You will do FINE with beign put to sleep! I was 175lbs and size 16 (bc of the extra skin) before TT and now 6 week later I am 150lbs and a fantastic looking size 10! I FEEL AND LOOK AMAZING! and you will too! congrats! I bought a bikini, but with my scar being kinda red still I opted for a bottom that would cover the scar but my strapless top looks fantstic on my nice flat stomach!!
So you are having surgery tomorrow! Good luck! I am having my surgery in ten days. Extended abdominoplasty with lipo of the flanks abdomen and triple plication! the office staff says my doctor is a perfectionist and Im gonna have an internal girdle! After a 9 pound baby and a hundred pound weight loss I cannot wait! However, I am in the same boat as you with being put to sleep and feeling as if I am going to have complications. I am very healthy and only thirty now. I have put off the surgery for six years because of the fear of going under! I know you will be fine and ultimately so will I :) I would love to hear about how you coped with the anxiety and how you feel after! Fingers crossed and prayers for you for tomorrow!