Not a Good Experience - Atlanta, GA

Had derma filler in my upper lip before my wedding...

Had derma filler in my upper lip before my wedding. Before we began, we had agreed that $500 was the cost of the syringe. If all wasn't injected the syringe would be saved for future treatments with a $100 administration charge. During the procedure my lip swelled so large that the treatment was cut short and only 1/3 of the syringe was injected therefore, another session was needed. Wellll, if there wasn't such an adverse reaction to the treatment, which I believe was due to the numbing, and done accurately then a second treatment wouldn't be needed. The swelling took well over 2 weeks to subside and still looked very awkward. It was worse than a Buckhead wife's pout; it was a banana lip... and it was uneven. I brought to her attention during the treatment the uneven appearance, but she said she injected equal parts to each side of the lip. That may be so, but if it's uneven, it's uneven, right? I called to have the left side re-touched for to balance the lips. I was told there would be $100 charge. Okay, I agree that if I wanted more from the syringe in other areas or wanted bigger lips 6 mo's down the road that there would be a charge of $100 for administering, but to charge $100 a few weeks later just to finish and correct the initial treatment doesn't seem fair. There's no way I was going to pay additional for a correction. I didn't go back. The final result was were slight, but noticeably uneven and I had an awkward bump in the middle of my lip that intereferred with my wedding pictures and made my lips look augmented. $500 dollars to make me look worse for my wedding. Nice, thanks. Since, I have been going elsewhere with amazing results and no swelling. My new Dr's work looks "real". On a side note: Dr. Morgan is very concerned about the comfort level of the patient. That is a good thing however, in my opinion, the numbing can cause excessive swelling which can interfere with the accuracy of the filler. Filler is not that painful! "YouTube it". Forget about numbing! When it comes to beauty I feel no pain ;) Good luck! :)

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Bedside manner - excellent, Skill level - ??? Follow up -not so great.

So sorry! Glad you told your story so nobody goes there. It sounds like they didn't know what they were doing and in the pictures your lips looked unnatural. They should have fixed it for free instead of trying to charge more $$. Who would let somebody leave looking bad and having your name attached to the work. Glad you found someplace better.
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. We use a topical numbing gel for the lips and both juvederm and restylane have lidocaine in them so they are much more comfortable now to inject. I prefer using juvederm in the lips because it is softer and there is less swelling. I find that it takes two to three weeks for any area to really settle and I am am glad that you are going to see somebody else now. I believe that if there is noticeable asymmetry that the clinic should have either used hyaluronidase or not charged you to correct the issue.

What is a Buckhead wife's pout? I live in Buckhead and have amazing natural lips. My butt could use further improvement, but my lips, they are as good as lips get, and great at kissing too. ;)

Thanks so much for sharing your experience on RealSelf! I found the injections pretty painful (though not as bad as some other things I've tried) and wouldn't do this without a little numbing. I'm sorry you feel it affected your swelling. Here's what some doctors say about swelling after Juvaderm.

Yes, I'm sorry. I do advocate numbing. Injecting a numbing solution into the lip before the procedure is not necessary, in my opinion. I was not clear. Ice packs and a filler with lidocaine are a much better solution.