Wish I Could Go Back. Lipo Made Me Look Worse! - Atlanta, GA

I am trying not to live my life in regret because...

I am trying not to live my life in regret because it's pointless... but I feel like I need to tell other people my story to consider before they get lipo. I am 30 years old, 5'4 and at the time of surgery was 108 pounds. You're probably thinking... 'wait why did you need lipo then?' Let's back up a little. By the age of 25 I had 3 children, aged 3 and under. Between all 3 of them I gained a combined total of 150 lbs. On my frame that is a lot of weight. So, in 2011 I had a tummy tuck and muscle tightening in my stomach to get rid of the excess fat that lingered from all the weight gain. Was very happy with those results. This year I decided I was happy with my front side, but my back side still needed some help. I always had a 'bubble butt' but naturally after having kids it is bigger and sags more. I have really bad cellulite and stretch marks and after months and months of squatting in the gym, nothing was helping. So I decided to have cosmetic surgery to help get rid of the excess lingering fat and hopefully improve my skin as well.

April 22, 2014 (4 months ago) I had liposuction on my outer thighs, inner thighs, under butt, and around my knees. Total was about $5000 that I really shouldn't have spent but I figured it would be worth it to make me feel better when I looked in the mirror and wore swimsuits. The recovery was rough. I have had 2 breast augmentations, a tummy tuck/muscle tightening and 3 c-sections in my life. I am a surgery warrior. But my goodness healing from the liposuction was probably the worst of all. I bruised and swelled horribly. I had bruises for a solid 6 weeks afterwards. It was painful for the first 7-10 days but then not too bad. I kept looking in the mirror thinking my legs were just swollen and that is why they were even bigger than before. My doctor told me the same and to be patient.

Here I sit 4 months later... my legs are bigger than they've ever been and the shape is no different than before. The lipo was a complete waste of time and money. I am mad at myself for spending money for nothing, missing out on important events of friends (such as a wedding) to heal in bed and strangely can't stop gaining weight ever since. I have never had a problem with weight gain and am very active daily and eat like a rabbit. But I have continued to gain more and more weight and I am just perplexed as to why?? I am now up to 116 - 8 pounds since my surgery and trust me it's not muscle I have gained. I always feel swollen and like I have water just sitting inside my body. I am very frustrated as none of my old pants or swimsuit bottoms are fitting me.

Maybe I am just a rare case but I am very unhappy with my decision to get lipo. I would never do it again. It bothers me so much that I feel like I am going to have to go back in and get yet another surgery to help sometime this year.

Good luck to everyone out there and hopefully you will be happy with you results unlike I am if you choose to go forward with it.

I'm sorry you aren't seeing the results you were expecting.  Isn't it still a little early?  I thought there could be swelling for a few months.  Do you have some before and after pics you are willing to share?

I hope you find support in the community.  I found this in the Doctor Q&A and thought it was a little helpful.