All on Four Experience - Atlanta, GA

I elected to go for the all on 4 - implants/ teeth...

I elected to go for the all on 4 - implants/ teeth in a day. Years of bad teeth, mouth pain, related health issues and the social and aesthetic implications made it a must for me. It's been a year now and I can honestly say is was one of my best decisions I've ever made. I get complements on my teeth now and no one has any idea they're not my originals, unless I tell them.

Everyone is different and it's a very individual and "permanent" decision to make; One that should not be taken lightly I think. First and foremost I suggest doing your homework. Understand what you're doing to your body, how it will effect you and your life. Find a qualified implant specialist. I suggest finding one with a dental lab "in house" so you get your temporary teeth put in before you leave that day.

Is it painful? The surgery isn't. You're numb/ drugged and there are no nerves in bone so there is no pain to the bone what so ever. However, your gums however are loaded with nerves. I'm probably the biggest baby in the world when it comes to the dentist and I considered having them knock me out, but I trusted the doctors advise and local anesthetic suited me just fine. I'm glad I didn't waste the extra money on general anesthesia.

After the procedure you'll have some pain from gum disruption, tooth pulling or what ever manipulations to the gums you might have to endure. I had all of my teeth removed so mine was probably a little worse than most.

I won't lie, the first 48 hours after my surgery were difficult, but then... I'd just had surgery. I was swolen and pretty uncomfortable and I'll admit I questioned my decision to go through with it; but the after care pain meds helped a great deal. After the first 24-48 hours it was just uncomfortable for a time getting used to the new teeth. It was not an unbearable pain, more like a dull pain that slowly subsided as the gums healed. I noticed some temperature changes in my mouth where the implants are placed as the metal tends to feel cold, but this went away over time. You can feel them healing as they tend to give you a tightening sensation the jaw. This sensation goes away as well.

A couple days of swelling and discomfort go away very quickly - A beautiful smile has changed my life for the better and it will last me a lifetime. No, it's not cheap, but it was absolutely worth swapping that new car I was thinking about for my new smile. I'm glad it's over now but if I had to make the choice to to do it all over again, I absolutely would.

Dr. Steve Hahn

I did my homework, His qualifications are exceptional and his patients gave him good reviews. Additionally, having been an implant instructor at Columbia they don't come much better qualified. He allowed me to talk with previous patients (one on one) to get a better idea of what I was about to go through and let then share their experiences without his direction (I liked that). He allowed me to watch a procedure through a viewing window (with another patients consent) as he performed an implant surgery so I knew exactly what would be happening to me. He used quality implants, not the cheap stuff. I think he genuinely cares about his patients and their results. His staff are great and they make you feel very comfortable, They even offered me help with financing options.if I need it.. They followed up to make sure I was doing well and continue to do so even after all this time. He did a good job on my implants and I'm very happy with my results.

How much?
Thank you so much for your comments. I'm in much the same boat as you and when I try to get information about the pros and cons all I get is a lecture on the importance of keeping my "real" teeth. I've already spent enough on my teeth to buy several BMWs and its heartbreaking to continue to spend and spend and have terrible looking painful teeth. I cannot continue to waste huge amounts of money on my teeth. So thank you again for your insights.
With a snap on smile, you must have teeth that can tolerate the "putting in and taking out" of the snap on. It is really tight. I did not like mine at all! I have only 6 upper teeth and that is the snap on smile I got. You must make absolutely sure that when they make the impressions that you pay close attention to how it feels. My snap on was very uneven. When I attempted to eat, one side bit down hard while the other didn't even make contact. Another, and the most important issue I had was the fact that I looked like a rabid animal. Because my teeth protrude just a bit, the dentist made the snap on rather thick to shape the teeth they way he thought they should be shaped. Unfortunately, if he had asked me about this decision, I would have told him that I could not care less how they are shaped. I really wanted thinner teeth. I'm not grumbling about the dentist, I am just saying that you must make absolutely sure that you know what the snap on is. They showed me a sample and it was not as thick as the one they made for me. Ask, ask, ask questions.
I agree, I am not a fan of the snap on, my first upper broke (a few weeks after getting it and finally getting it to adjust to my teeth), I was forced to pay for a whole new set (upper and lower). I am a smoker and my teeth have never been the best, I wanted the snap on for cosmetic purposes because I deal with the public and felt uncomfortable with my teeth. The second set (had them a year now) have holes in them literally, they are loose and slide out at will especially when I am eating, they are also cracked (from eating food), this was one of the worst decisions that I've ever made, now my front teeth are decaying from wearing the snap on daily. I am so embarrassed that I have not allowed my husband or family see my natural teeth in over six months, that was $6,000 + wasted!!!!!!!!
My husband chose Dunson Dental, downtown Atlanta, for his implants. This doctor seemed to have more expertise than any other place we had been for estimates. He is about a month behind most patients on his healing because he is a diabetic and it's taking a little longer for him to heal. His next appt. is coming up and he should be measured for his new teeth. So far, everything is going great.
Hi DevonneP. Could you please clarify if your husband had both upper and lower or just one or the other. I have been trying to get an estimate of the total cost. I know the OP stated that giving a price estimate is like trying to compare a steak dinner. I am a chef and I can tell you with some certainty that a waffle house is one of the lowest priced and lowest quality steaks and is around $15.00 for steak and potatoes. The most overpriced restaurant is around $100 for a steak and potatoes. I think we all know the middle priced steak diners is around $20-$40 at the places that most folks eat steaks. I am just trying to get an estimate that is not a new car or a steak dinner. Could you give me a number within $10k or in a range like 20k-40k or 40k to 60k? Thanks for any help you can provide.
hi DevonneP. Glad to hear that your husband has had the procedure done and everything is going great. I am sure he will be able to eat a normal diet before too long and give him more choices especially with his condition.
I had both upper and lower done (all on 4) with teeth pulled. I did not have any bone graft work (which can greatly effect the cost). You're right about the steak. You might want take a close look at Costa Rica. A two week vacation could save you tens of thousands and net you the same (or better) implants. Their facilities and labs are state of the art and dentists are top notch (many American). I wish I had looked a little longer. 12-20k seems to be a fair range there and from what I've seen/ experienced they do beautiful work. Prices are VERY competitive in Atlanta so if you feel you absolutely must get implants in the US, I'd get 4-5 quotes and shop them and before you make your decision. Implants are absolutely worth doing if you need teeth. It will change your world and the way you walk through it.
One more thing... Go to a local dentist and have a digital panaramic xray done. It will cost you a couple hundred dollars but any dentist will need this to give you a rough estimate. Further/ better... spend an extra $300 to get a 3D scan done (there are mobile pan services that will come to your house with a machine in a van). With these two items an implant specialist can give you a very close estimate without ever sitting in a chair. They do not of course take into consideration all of the factors but if you're healthy they're pretty much spot on. Also consider the age of these items - don't spend the money on these until you are ready to move forward with your implants (within 6 mos). You body will change and so will your scans. Hope this helps
Dr. Golpa in Las Vegas, Nv has his prices posted on his website. 17,500. Per arch. If you are out of state he comps your hotel.
I have been told that it costs about $35,000 for a complete set of all on four implants.
Thanks, but I don't have that kind of money.
Thanks, but I just don't have that kind of money.
Dr. Long in Indiana charges $9995.00 per arch for Prettau Zirconia. I've been researching and I think I am going with her...not just price but she has great reviews. Give her a call.
Does she use zirconia implants?
Your dental implants Look amazing! It must be such a good feeling to have those finally in your mouth!

Thank you. For the first time in over 20 yrs I'm not affraid to smile in the family Christmas pictures. I'm happier with my appearance... and it shows :)

Jess, thank you for your advice. Dunson Dental is calling my husband's doctor. That is the first thing they asked for....his dr's phone number so that made me feel good. I'm also going to call him and talk to him (he's my doctor too). I think we are just about ready to proceed with this procedure!
That's good. I wish your husband all the best. Remember to ask about guarantees, warranties etc. so that you can be assured of support for future problems that may arise. Keep us informed of his progress
I am posting some of my concerns on Dr. Dunson's site. I will also call them this week. I see above that the "average price" of dental implants is $8400. I wonder how they came up with that price. Our price will be almost double that. I wish hubby would consider a regular dental practice that does implants, but he feels better going to someone that does nothing but dental implants all day. I'm hoping it is true that the more experience a doctor has, the less complications he will have in the future. He is 67 years old and a diabetic, so his age and health are huge factors too. Could someone tell me what makes the bridge crack? Also about the screw that the doctor can't get out, what made that happen? Devonne
I saw an image of the two and in comparison the screw is tiny. Screw fracture can again be caused by too much load on the implant (particularly the angled ones), improper tightening and loosening. There is a site that I use to learn a bit more about my problems. Not all specialists agree with one another but it gives good insight into some of the potential problems that can occur from specialists in the field. There is a search box that you can search about all on four. www.osseonews.com/. As I highlighted in another post these are potential issues you should ask your intended specialist and if these problems arise ask what his treatment plan and potential costs would be.
I am sorry but the above comment has only the second part published. I lost internet access and could only copy half of what I had written before it was lost. If you look at the link above the cost of $8400 another window will open and you will see a list of what everyone has posted as the cost to them and an average of these are calculated. I mention the size of the screw above and what I mean by this is that all on 4 implants are smaller than the normal implants. The screw for the all on 4 implants are tiny by comparison.
I would strongly recommend you speak to the physician treating your husband for his diabetes. He should be able to advice about the pros and cons of undertaking the surgical procedure and potential impact on his diabetes and any other health issues he may have.
Sorry my posts seem a bit disjointed. You asked about the bridge breaking. This can be caused by normal wear and tear, but I don't know what length of time is practical before this occurs. It can also be caused by excessive load on the bridge. My own specialist mentioned my own bottom teeth being a factor. It would appear that all on 4 works best if both upper and bottom teeth are a prosthesis and there is not so much load on it. It can also be caused by improper placement of the implants and the forces of eating cause uneven loads on it. These are probably only some of the factors.