bad reconstruction - Atlanta, GA

My first reconstruction took place in 2007, it was...

My first reconstruction took place in 2007, it was a tram. Additional work was done in December. That wound would not stop bleeding. I went back in for surgery in 2008 or 2009. Saline implants were tried and they did not work and ruptured. Then I went to an infection specialist who was shocked at what I looked like. I was at the doctors every week for IV infusions due to another infection. Today I look horrible. I went back to see my doctor. He was shocked when he saw my breast, then smiled and said, 'no problem' we'll fix you up in no time. I'm afraid to go back to him. WHAT CAN I DO?
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

A real delightful person. He never remembers me and is always surprised to see the damage he had done.

Dear PegiGeorgia, We are distraught to read your review. We know that breast reconstruction is an emotional and often difficult process that is different for each person. That understood, we try to explain to each reconstruction patient the possibility of unsuccessful surgery and the potential need for additional revisionary procedures to produce successful results. We’re sorry you are not happy with your results and always hate to hear about complications, even if they’re unrelated to your breast procedures. It’s even more troubling that this happened in 2007, was addressed through revision, and then not brought back to our attention before now. Our two primary practice goals are to provide the highest quality patient care and safety. If you wish to discuss this matter further we maintain an open door policy and would be more than happy to schedule an in-person consultation to re-access your needs. Please contact my assistant Amy Houston directly by calling (404) 256-1311.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your reconstruction results. Have all your surgeries been done by the same doctor? Even though it takes a lot of time, I would get a few more doctor consults with other reconstruction experts. I don't blame you for wanting better results after everything you've been through. For immediate feedback, you can post a few quality photos with your questions in the RealSelf Doctor Q&A. You won't be able to have a conversation with them...it's just your question and their one time response, so be clear and specific with your info. Let us know how you decide to proceed. Take care and don't give up!!

Have you considered Brava reconstruction with autologous fat grafting? I am seriously considering seeking a consult but have to arrange finances because my insurance will not cover it as they still consider it "experimental"
I have not heard of that type of reconstruction. Is that the one where they take the fat from your back? What doctor are you with?
This type of procedure uses an external suction device to expand your skin from the outside (Sort of like an overgrown breast pump). Fat is then collected through lposuction from your abdomen, thighs or back and injected into the expanded skin. The amount that stays put in the 'breast" is about 85% on average. Some of the Drs. have great looking and very natural results. It was pioneer by Dr. Kouhri who is in Miami, Florida. His practice website has great graphic explanations and before/after photos. Go to w w w miamibreastcenter.com/reconstruction/after-mastectomy-miami Please note I have never met Dr. Khouri so I am unable to endorse him or any other provider offering this procedure. At least it is an option to consider.