34 Years Old, Breast Cancer, Double Mastectomy with Implants for Reconstruction - Atlanta, GA

As part of my breast cancer treatment plan, I...

As part of my breast cancer treatment plan, I needed to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction following my chemotherapy. I interviewed three plastic surgeons, one of which was Dr. Mark Codner. Dr. Codner is the only surgeon who offered me the "direct-to-implant" method while also considering my breast size preference. The other two surgeons informed me that I could go direct to implant only if I wanted to remain an A-cup. Otherwise, I would need to go through the expander process followed by the implant placement surgery. By selecting Dr. Codner and his "direct-to-implant" method, my reconstruction was over after only one surgery and I am now a D-cup when I was previously an A-cup. My breasts look absolutely fabulous and I am able to exercise every day with no pain at all. If I would have selected one of the other surgeons, I would still be getting my expanders filled, have the implant placement surgery hanging over my head, and possibly not be able to exercise at 100% effort. I am thrilled to be able to put breast cancer behind me, take care of my very young children and move on with my life three months sooner than I expected. And for those ladies who enjoy exercising on a regular basis, I was able to return to my normal exercise routine (i.e., weights, running, spin, yoga) at 100% effort six weeks post-surgery. I was exercising at about 50%-75% effort four weeks post- surgery. Thanks Dr. Codner!
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Codner is very personal and is a perfectionist, which is exactly what I was looking for in a plastic surgeon. He understands that I am a mother of two young children and he was very excited to offer me the "direct-to-implant" method for my breast reconstruction in order to cut down on the process time. The nurses and staff members at Dr. Codner's practice are also wonderful. I would highly recommend Dr. Codner to others.

It appears as though you paid for it in full out of pocket.
Did your medical insurance cover any of your reconstruction surgery with your plastic surgeon?
Congratulations on conquering the cancer. I'm so happy you were able to take care of your reconstruction all in one surgery. That is so nice you were even able to get D cup size breasts. Do you recall what size implants you got? Thank you for sharing your experience with us on RealSelf!