Big News on Fat Transfer Lumps: One Year, 3 Corrections Later - Atlanta, GA

I had fat transferred under my eyes a year ago....

I had fat transferred under my eyes a year ago. The bruising lasted for months, and to this day, I still have pigmentation problems under my eyes - I look like a football player with black grease under his eyes (not that bad, but you get the picture). The biggest problem though was the uneveness of the fat on each side. One area was higher than the other, and when I smile, the area on either side of my nose lays flat, almost like an indentation, and one side is higher than the other. The worst part? I not only still have dark circles, but now they are uneven dark circles. I looked better before.

The same doctor tried to correct the problem (for a slight discount but I still had to pay) and acted like I was exaggerating. I went to my regular dermatologist, and she agreed that it looked bad. She injected both areas (two diff occasions) with filler, which helped alot. This original doctor is very reputable and well trained in dermatological plastic surgery. He is an affable guy who flatters you to the point that you think everything is going to be just great. Another poster gave excellent advice, which is worth repeating. She said, "Don't go for the most charismatic doctor. Go for the critical perfectionist who seriously discusses the cons and takes the time to analyze your face and it's current imperfections." A second piece of advice is that if you MUST get fat transfer on your face, pay the extra money and go to a plastic surgeon.

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer...

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer lumps!

I went to my dermatologist (not the one who did the FT but a woman I've gone to for years) to see if she would do cortisone injections into the scar tissue or whatever that had formed under my eyes after fat transfer almost 3 years ago. She has tried different things in the past with small successes, but this time, she wanted to try exilis and really felt that it would help. I was reluctant to do it, but she's super smart, conservative and I do trust her, so the next day, I let her laser person try it. She did 5 minutes under each eye, not the standard 12 minute protocol, about 2 hours ago. I think that the scar tissue or whatever was there is gone. There could be a tiny tiny bit left but I can't really tell. Amazing. I can still feel some fat but not the hard lumps. The 2 areas do look more even, although it's hard to tell because they are still red.

Exilis supposedly melts fat. It may be too early to tell what the final result will be, but it definitely looks better than before. I am posting some pics from this morning on this thread. I posted pics from 4 months ago at http://www.realself.com/question/find-experienced-surgeon-remove-fat-transfer-in-atlanta if you want to see a comparison.

I'm not going to get overly excited because I'm a bit nausous from the FT roller coaster ride of the past 3 years, but today was a good day in the FT world, imho.

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer...

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer lumps!

Dr B

My results were sub par, which he refused to acknowlege. I had to go elsewehere to get corrections, and it's still not right. Try fillers first. If you like the look, go to a real plastic surgeon, not a derma plastic surgeon.

Hello guys, I had a lower blepharoplasty a year and 2 months ago. I am 45 years old. I had bags under my eyes and couldn't get rid of them, I never heard of fat grafting, until after I had lower bags removed. I looked skeletal after having bags removed, so I did some research and heard about fat grafting, but didn't look into the cons of fat grafting. My new doctor tried to talk me into Voluma, but I wanted something permanent. He showed me pics of people he said he had done fat grafts proceedures on. He is Board Certified and has been in business for 25 years, so I trusted him. I had the surgery to the hollows of my eyes, the malar and the nasal folds of my face done. I am 2 months out and I have seen the nurse once and when she saw me she said oh I think this is the first time the doctor has done fat grafting, I said that's not what he told me , but I was still swollen. I go back to him this month for the first time, so he can see the damage he has done to my face. I have extra fat , nodules or scar tissue not sure exactly what it is, but I have tried to massage and nothing works. I have been reading the terror stories people have posted about fat grafting. I am so nervous and beside myself that this wont be able to be corrected. I look like I have a football bag under left eye. I was reading about kenelog 10 and 40, 5-FU and the Exilis that filler Queen was talking about. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know, as I don't know if I trust this doctor to inject steroids in my eye after my FG results. I have made an appointment to go see Micheal Law, to see if he can help. I am 3 hours away from him, but it will be worth it. Thanks......worried P.S. The nasal folds worked great one side needs a little more, and one of my cheeks looks great the other one didn't take, so I am going to have more done to even my face up, but still worried about eyes. I regret now that I didn't get Voluma for cheeks and restylane for under eye area
U should tell us who that surgeon is otherwise this review is useless. I know u r 'trying to be nice' but be nice to the right people - patients who may fall prey to this - not the surgeon who did bad work
Hydrolysis, there have been legal issues and problems with a few of the reviewers using the name of their surgeon. Unfortunately in some states the law is not on the side of the victim, but rather the doctor. In other reviews, the named doctor himself has responded & has been threatening. Not something someone who is already a victim needs added to her plate. It's stressful enough already. So what many of the reviewers have been doing is leaving the name off their public post, but will respond to a private message if you want to know what the doc's name is. Or they may have some legitimate reason for not revealing the name. Everyone's situation is different. I think for many using the private message option is a more prudent way to handle any potential legal issues or negative posts & still get the info to the person who needs it. I still appreciate the post itself, even without naming the doctor, for either helpful information in finding a fix for a procedure already done or for simply letting me know that I am not the only person out there who had a disasterous result from this procedure. That in itself is very helpful.
Hi Fillerqueen, Are you still happy with the results from the Exilis? I had a horrible outcome from fat transfer with bumps and unevenness between my two eyes. I have since gotten restylane, which has made things a little better. However, I have this huge lump of fat under my eye that sits below the tear duct area that just sticks out and is still noticeable even with restylane. I just need for it to go down a little and I'm wondering if exilis may help. Please provide any updates. Thanks, Nic
Hi Fillerqueen, I have been reading your blogs on the under eye problem. I have it too, and was looking for help. I don't know if you see the blog I just posted I am new to this site. I wanted to ask you how much the Exilis was and if you are still happy with the results? I also, am interested in looking at your pics, but not sure how to look at them? Do you have before and after pics? I will be happy to swap photos with you. I haven't posted any on here, because the doctor I am seeing now is on here and I don't want to post anything, until I have seen him again. Please read my blog and let me know what you think. Thank you so much for posting about your eye, as so many people have mental anguish over something so small, but very noticeable that can change the way you feel about yourself. Thanks, Juliannas1
Filler Queen I want to thank you for sharing your story. I found it to be very helpful. I'm considering getting fat transfer to my face as well,and this helps me make my decision more realistic. My only question is what do you mean by a "derm plastic surgeon"? are you referring to the fact that your doctor wasn't board certified
Hi Lesha9137, The terms are confusing. My doctor was a dermatologist and a member of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery and the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. He was not a plastic surgeon and not a member of the American Academy of Plastic Surgery. Very few, if any, plastic surgeons are certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. No non-plastic surgeons are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. To be classified as "plastic" or "cosmetic" requires a significantly different amount of training, with the former being greater than the latter. And the terms "Society" and "Academy" are equally misunderstood. If you have a procedure done to your face that is of a permanent nature, you want to go to a plastic surgeon. Botox and temporary fillers done by a reputable cosmetic surgeon are fine, but most of your fat transfer is going to be permanent, especially if it involves scar tissue in your cheeks or under your eyes. It is a much riskier procedure than was described to me, with long term, permanent complications very possible. What concern is your fat transfer being suggested to address?
Just sharing that Dr.Groth in Beverly hills has removed fat grafting lump from under the eyes by excision ....just read another poster's story on another message board.
Michhy, I am having that done by Dr. Groth on Jan 31. I saw him for the consult in late June, but he wanted me to wait about 4 months to see if there was any improvement. Then decided to wait till after the holidays. He does book up fast, so make appts early. Consults take 2 months to schedule and my surgery took 3 months to schedule. A very busy guy. He does plan to remove fat from under one eye and also over the other. I am nervous. Could you tell me where you saw the post about Dr. Groth. Was it someone who already had the work done...or just planning on it? Would love to know how it went for her.
Update on my post of October 24, 2012. Dr Groth is no longer doing revisions. Apparently he got overwhelmed & burned out from fixing others docs messes. Disappointing, but I can certainly understand his feelings on that. I'm better off now than I was, but I still have issues that couldn't be resolved by revision surgery. Nothing he didn't warn me about beforehand. The reality is that once a FT procedure goes bad around the eyes, it's a very difficult thing to revise 100% no matter how skilled the surgeon is. There is the risk of vision problems if they do too much addressing some areas. Many factors involved, and potential complications depending on where the fat was injected and how much. Every situation is different. At any rate, I did want to let people here know that Groth no longer does revisions.
Thanks so much GFGB - so glad you've triumphed over this

Hey Filler Queen. . . just make sure the doctor is extremely conservative with the Cortisone until you know how you react and if you like the results.  Less is always more.   Hoenig mixes the tinest amount in with the 5FU.  I just don't  want you to end up wth dents.  You'll get there. . . . I never thoughtt I'd be able to function again. . . but I have finally been able to interview and get offers, date, and belly laught etc.   I had taken all this for granted.   Easily got jobs, dates and smiled.   I still am quicker to anger than I was and my lack of self-confidence betrays me sometimes. . .but the obsession slowly starts to dissapate.

Once you feel better, it almost comes back in a rush.   But I really didn't understand what recovery from Post Traumatic Stress would feel like or how long it would take . or even if you could recover.  Hope you feel better soon.   It can all happen.  Hugs - GFGB
Thanks GFGB - I originally went in to see if my derm would give me a cortisone shot, but she suggested we try this first. After the first round, the area felt smoother, but now, it's back to square one. So I'll go back and try the cortisone. Thanks for all the great and helpful info you put out on this.

Hey Filler Queen. . .

Sorry there hasn't been more improvement, but hope you have gotten some relief.    After 19 months of ongoing corrections - and one year since my micro-lipo and last 5FU injectiong- I just had another very small injection of 5FU with a tiny, tiny bit of cortizon.  It's flattened that eye out a bit more.  I can't believe how these little strands of fat can distort your features so much.

Amazing that after two years of hell, I'm starting to get past the "identity crisis" and recognize myself.   I can still feel some fat strands, but they are far less distorting. I am having some laser work done in a month to tighten up the undereye "festoon" that resulted from the fat procedure.  I'll continue to need Restylane to even things out.  . but I am more comfortable taking off my sunglasses these days.    Keep us posted - GFGB
Hi Unoq, I have been back 3 times but am not noticing any change :(
Hi, so you had 3 more treatments on the area & the others didn't improve it more?
Hi Unoq,

I tried the ultherapy around my mouth, and the pain was unbearable. I've read that the exilis can be painful too if the technician doesn't perform it correctly and can understand how that could be true. They have to use this gel and keep the handpiece moving. If it's not moving at the right speed, it gets too hot. The girl who did mine was very experienced and did a great job.
I have palpable scar tissue right on/under the bone of the under-eye socket. It was amazing how the area felt softer and less bumpy after the exilis. I do think it looks better, but it's not completely back to normal and still looks uneven
Hi Unoq,
I'm pretty sure it was the facial handpiece. It just happens that I am going back this Friday, so I will ask her about that. As to the mono/bi/tri polarRF, I don't know, but she did put a large pad on my back to "ground" me, so it must be the monopolar rf. And she got right above the orbital bone. Felt like a hot stone treatment - very relaxing.
Hi, thanks for replying and for offering to ask your derm. Your pics do show real improvement and I've been reading up on the exilis. I am surprised that it was so painless as I've heard other ones (like ultherapy) are pretty intense and need dental block. That has to be a good thing. Did you say you had scar tissue lumps, you could feel these with your fingers right? I read that exilis uses ultrasound before RF so I might imagine that the scar tissue has responded to the ultrasound energy. Anyway, I hope you're doing well and you must be pleased!! -Q
Hi filler queen, Do you have any updates since going back to your derm? Have you noticed further deflation or have you tried the Exilis again?

Q

Yeah Filler Queen :).    Keep us posted on long term results.  There are many who will be so happy to hear this news!  Big Hug - GFGB
Filler Queen thank you for posting! Great news! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

How close did your derm get to the eye area with the RF? Was she able to get really close?

Here's what I found about the elixis. I find it interesting that it's a monopolar RF device and that monopolar heats both the dermis and the subcutaneous layers (fat), rather than just the dermis itself. Maybe this is the key to successfully reducing fat with radio frequency. However elixis only mentions heating the dermis: "The rapid 2 million per second oscillations cause the molecules in your dermis to rapidly heat up."

Also, found this on the differences between monopolar & bipolar RF:

RF devices tend to market themselves as monopolar, bipolar or multipolar RF devices. Monopolar energy travels from the handpiece to a distant pole and requires a large ground electrode that is applied to the body. It penetrates up to 20mm, affecting both skin and subcutaneous fat. Bipolar energy travels from one pole on a handpiece to another, penetrating only 2mm to 4mm into the skin.
“Both work by causing bulk heating of the deep dermis,” says James Muze, vice president of development at Syneron Candela. “Bipolar uses symmetrical electrodes that can control the distribution of energy between the two and, more specifically, confine it to dermal structures when appropriate. Tripolar is a marketing term, not a scientific term. Devices with three or more poles use bipolar electrodes that switch between active pairs and inactive pairs.”
Sorry, I should've asked: was it the facial handpiece or body handpiece your derm used? I just read an answer here on real self that says the one on the body targets fat whereas the face one doesn't.
Hi Unoq, I have been following your post and fillerqueens post about overfat grafting and lumps under the eye area, I have it too, under my right eye. I was wondering if you have tried the elixis since you researched about it. I see my doctor soon, which I am not pleased with, as I have issues about my eye and he distorted my upper thigh lower butt region as well with lipo. He was only suppose to take fat from my leg. I will have to contend with that later, as my main concern is my eye, what everybody can see right now. Thanks, Juliannas1
cveroleyva, gosh I'm sorry that I missed your post! No, it wasn't Dr Brody, but I know who he is, and he is quite reputable. In fact, I was thinking of going to him to see if he could do 5fu injections to help correct my bad ft.