Big News on Fat Transfer Lumps: One Year, 3 Corrections Later - Atlanta, GA

I had fat transferred under my eyes a year ago....

I had fat transferred under my eyes a year ago. The bruising lasted for months, and to this day, I still have pigmentation problems under my eyes - I look like a football player with black grease under his eyes (not that bad, but you get the picture). The biggest problem though was the uneveness of the fat on each side. One area was higher than the other, and when I smile, the area on either side of my nose lays flat, almost like an indentation, and one side is higher than the other. The worst part? I not only still have dark circles, but now they are uneven dark circles. I looked better before.

The same doctor tried to correct the problem (for a slight discount but I still had to pay) and acted like I was exaggerating. I went to my regular dermatologist, and she agreed that it looked bad. She injected both areas (two diff occasions) with filler, which helped alot. This original doctor is very reputable and well trained in dermatological plastic surgery. He is an affable guy who flatters you to the point that you think everything is going to be just great. Another poster gave excellent advice, which is worth repeating. She said, "Don't go for the most charismatic doctor. Go for the critical perfectionist who seriously discusses the cons and takes the time to analyze your face and it's current imperfections." A second piece of advice is that if you MUST get fat transfer on your face, pay the extra money and go to a plastic surgeon.

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer...

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer lumps!

I went to my dermatologist (not the one who did the FT but a woman I've gone to for years) to see if she would do cortisone injections into the scar tissue or whatever that had formed under my eyes after fat transfer almost 3 years ago. She has tried different things in the past with small successes, but this time, she wanted to try exilis and really felt that it would help. I was reluctant to do it, but she's super smart, conservative and I do trust her, so the next day, I let her laser person try it. She did 5 minutes under each eye, not the standard 12 minute protocol, about 2 hours ago. I think that the scar tissue or whatever was there is gone. There could be a tiny tiny bit left but I can't really tell. Amazing. I can still feel some fat but not the hard lumps. The 2 areas do look more even, although it's hard to tell because they are still red.

Exilis supposedly melts fat. It may be too early to tell what the final result will be, but it definitely looks better than before. I am posting some pics from this morning on this thread. I posted pics from 4 months ago at http://www.realself.com/question/find-experienced-surgeon-remove-fat-transfer-in-atlanta if you want to see a comparison.

I'm not going to get overly excited because I'm a bit nausous from the FT roller coaster ride of the past 3 years, but today was a good day in the FT world, imho.

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer...

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer lumps!

Dr B

My results were sub par, which he refused to acknowlege. I had to go elsewehere to get corrections, and it's still not right. Try fillers first. If you like the look, go to a real plastic surgeon, not a derma plastic surgeon.