Big News on Fat Transfer Lumps: One Year, 3 Corrections Later - Atlanta, GA

I had fat transferred under my eyes a year ago....

I had fat transferred under my eyes a year ago. The bruising lasted for months, and to this day, I still have pigmentation problems under my eyes - I look like a football player with black grease under his eyes (not that bad, but you get the picture). The biggest problem though was the uneveness of the fat on each side. One area was higher than the other, and when I smile, the area on either side of my nose lays flat, almost like an indentation, and one side is higher than the other. The worst part? I not only still have dark circles, but now they are uneven dark circles. I looked better before.

The same doctor tried to correct the problem (for a slight discount but I still had to pay) and acted like I was exaggerating. I went to my regular dermatologist, and she agreed that it looked bad. She injected both areas (two diff occasions) with filler, which helped alot. This original doctor is very reputable and well trained in dermatological plastic surgery. He is an affable guy who flatters you to the point that you think everything is going to be just great. Another poster gave excellent advice, which is worth repeating. She said, "Don't go for the most charismatic doctor. Go for the critical perfectionist who seriously discusses the cons and takes the time to analyze your face and it's current imperfections." A second piece of advice is that if you MUST get fat transfer on your face, pay the extra money and go to a plastic surgeon.

cveroleyva, gosh I'm sorry that I missed your post! No, it wasn't Dr Brody, but I know who he is, and he is quite reputable. In fact, I was thinking of going to him to see if he could do 5fu injections to help correct my bad ft.

would love to see your pics. Who is your good doctor and where is he?

any chances its dr. brody in atl? he's my doc, i love him, and hoping he's not the same guys since i want to ask of his opinion of fg in general.

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer...

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer lumps!

I went to my dermatologist (not the one who did the FT but a woman I've gone to for years) to see if she would do cortisone injections into the scar tissue or whatever that had formed under my eyes after fat transfer almost 3 years ago. She has tried different things in the past with small successes, but this time, she wanted to try exilis and really felt that it would help. I was reluctant to do it, but she's super smart, conservative and I do trust her, so the next day, I let her laser person try it. She did 5 minutes under each eye, not the standard 12 minute protocol, about 2 hours ago. I think that the scar tissue or whatever was there is gone. There could be a tiny tiny bit left but I can't really tell. Amazing. I can still feel some fat but not the hard lumps. The 2 areas do look more even, although it's hard to tell because they are still red.

Exilis supposedly melts fat. It may be too early to tell what the final result will be, but it definitely looks better than before. I am posting some pics from this morning on this thread. I posted pics from 4 months ago at http://www.realself.com/question/find-experienced-surgeon-remove-fat-transfer-in-atlanta if you want to see a comparison.

I'm not going to get overly excited because I'm a bit nausous from the FT roller coaster ride of the past 3 years, but today was a good day in the FT world, imho.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer...

OMG, happiness is....getting rid of fat transfer lumps!

Hello guys, I had a lower blepharoplasty a year and 2 months ago. I am 45 years old. I had bags under my eyes and couldn't get rid of them, I never heard of fat grafting, until after I had lower bags removed. I looked skeletal after having bags removed, so I did some research and heard about fat grafting, but didn't look into the cons of fat grafting. My new doctor tried to talk me into Voluma, but I wanted something permanent. He showed me pics of people he said he had done fat grafts proceedures on. He is Board Certified and has been in business for 25 years, so I trusted him. I had the surgery to the hollows of my eyes, the malar and the nasal folds of my face done. I am 2 months out and I have seen the nurse once and when she saw me she said oh I think this is the first time the doctor has done fat grafting, I said that's not what he told me , but I was still swollen. I go back to him this month for the first time, so he can see the damage he has done to my face. I have extra fat , nodules or scar tissue not sure exactly what it is, but I have tried to massage and nothing works. I have been reading the terror stories people have posted about fat grafting. I am so nervous and beside myself that this wont be able to be corrected. I look like I have a football bag under left eye. I was reading about kenelog 10 and 40, 5-FU and the Exilis that filler Queen was talking about. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know, as I don't know if I trust this doctor to inject steroids in my eye after my FG results. I have made an appointment to go see Micheal Law, to see if he can help. I am 3 hours away from him, but it will be worth it. Thanks......worried P.S. The nasal folds worked great one side needs a little more, and one of my cheeks looks great the other one didn't take, so I am going to have more done to even my face up, but still worried about eyes. I regret now that I didn't get Voluma for cheeks and restylane for under eye area
U should tell us who that surgeon is otherwise this review is useless. I know u r 'trying to be nice' but be nice to the right people - patients who may fall prey to this - not the surgeon who did bad work
Hydrolysis, there have been legal issues and problems with a few of the reviewers using the name of their surgeon. Unfortunately in some states the law is not on the side of the victim, but rather the doctor. In other reviews, the named doctor himself has responded & has been threatening. Not something someone who is already a victim needs added to her plate. It's stressful enough already. So what many of the reviewers have been doing is leaving the name off their public post, but will respond to a private message if you want to know what the doc's name is. Or they may have some legitimate reason for not revealing the name. Everyone's situation is different. I think for many using the private message option is a more prudent way to handle any potential legal issues or negative posts & still get the info to the person who needs it. I still appreciate the post itself, even without naming the doctor, for either helpful information in finding a fix for a procedure already done or for simply letting me know that I am not the only person out there who had a disasterous result from this procedure. That in itself is very helpful.
Dr B

My results were sub par, which he refused to acknowlege. I had to go elsewehere to get corrections, and it's still not right. Try fillers first. If you like the look, go to a real plastic surgeon, not a derma plastic surgeon.