Relatively Fast but Do Stain and Require Silver Metal Wires and Ligations - Arlington, VA

I currently have damon braces on both top and...

I currently have damon braces on both top and bottom teeth. My prospective treatment time is 12 months and I am 7 months in. I chose damon over invisalign or traditional metal braces because I was told they would work better than invisalign and be less unsightly than traditional metal braces. I have ten clear brackets on the front top, metal in the back and metal on the bottom. My bottom teeth were perfectly straight to begin with but I was told that I needed to wear them anyway in order to get my top teeth to line up correctly. My teeth were not crooked to start with just had an overbite and some spacing in the front from thumb sucking as a child. I was told that the damon clear would be the most cosmetic pleasing choice for braces because they "don't stain like ceramics" and because i'll have the option of using clear and white wires vs. steel. I was told that because the braces were self ligating, that I would not have to wear rubber bands to ligate the brackets like traditional braces.

Here's the thing...they are pretty unsightly. They DEFINITELY stain. Granted, I'm a coffee and soda drinker, but I was told that regardless, the brackets would not stain. Also, I have not been offered white or clear wires. In fact, I was told that metal was the only option for damon. Also, even though the braces supposedly "self-ligate", my orthodontist still has to put powerchains (continuous rubberbands) and metal ligations on the braces. The result is stained brackets (now yellow and will not bleach with whitening mouthwash or peroxide tooth whitener....believe me, I've tried) with a thick metal wire running through the whole set, white or clear powerchains (they also stain!!!) and an additional wire that is tied onto each bracket overtop of the original metal wire. The result, it looks awful. I would have rather gone with metal braces so at least people know from a distance that my teeth look "weird" because I, in fact, have braces, vs just looking like I don't take care of my teeth. I have had to get three professional cleanings since getting the braces on and they dug holes into my cheeks for the first few weeks. I'm not very happy with the results, yet and I'm kindof bummed that I still have to wear them for the rest of the spring/summer. If I had to start all over, I would probably go with invisalign or clear correct. Damon clear in no way make it appear that you "DO NOT" have braces. I'm 25, btw and feel like I am taken less seriously as a potential mate, as well as an employee with braces. Go for the invisalign!

Burk and Flinn Orthodontics, Gaithersburg, MD

This office is expecially busy and the Dr. loves to hear himself talk about how awesome he is. Always have to wait in the waiting room for at least 15 minutes after my appt and another 30 in the chair waiting. Can't wait til this experience is over.

I paid the extra $300 for the clear Damon brackets because they were 'guaranteed' not to stain. Though I have my teeth professionally cleaned quarterly, the brackets are discolored. I'd rather have metal than discolored. Also, I have had a door on the same bracket break twice (broken by the ortho tech). I will be interested to know if my projected wear time will be extended due to this.

I'm sorry to hear you are bummed with your choice. I can definitely understand why that would be if your entire reasoning was to get a less noticeable bracket. I do have to say, with all that your orthodontist is putting on it sounds like they are making some real efforts to reduce your overjet. From the picture you posted your teeth look great, and once your bite is solid you should be good to go. Hopefully your teeth will move as predicted & those dang things can come off sooner for you. :)