New Areas of Hyperpigmentation..not There Before Peel - Mesa, AZ

I had mild (hormonal) cystic acne, but with olive...

I had mild (hormonal) cystic acne, but with olive toned skin I developed a lot of hyperpigmentation after break outs. I decided to have a VI peel done at the recommendation of an aesthetician. They really down played the down time and recovery period! I read reviews before having it done and everything seemed positive...now I find all the bad reviews!

Anyway, the procedure itself only took a few minutes and burned a little, but quickly went numb. Until I got in the car...then my face felt on fire! It was better once I got home. I looked in the mirror that night and saw large black spots and streaks on my cheeks and neck. I immediately called to see if it was normal and they said that the peel was just bringing up the pigment. I explained that these spots were not there before the peel and looked more like a burn. They said it was normal and good b/c I was responding well. They had told me I would just look a little tanned, but I looked so odd that I had to call in sick to work...very embarrassing.

I started to peel ~24-48 hours later with the heaviest peeling on days 3-6. The black spots and streaks peeled off (in the shower, I didn't pick), and left behind very raw areas. They gave me an Rx for hydrocortisone which I applied to the raw red spots. I was hopeful that everything would heal normally. I am now on day 10 and have hyperpigmentation on all of those spots. My original spots (pre-peel) are slightly lighter, but over all I look much worse!!! I have a follow up appointment scheduled for this Thursday. I plan on complaining, but I'm worried that there won't be anything else they can do for me (except another peel-NO WAY!).

The person who applied the peel didn't seemed to know what she was doing and I thought barely applied anything. Maybe she did focus a little more on those spots, but it was pretty light. I don't know if I am just too sensitive for this, but I am very concerned about long term scarring! I'm so disappointed and embarrassed (and out $350). I'm sure this is wonderful for other people, but a very bad idea for me!

Derma Health Institute

Thought I would update everyone on my situation. I went back for a recheck appointment and had a microdermabrasion (express) after a couple of lighter peels (I think they were lactic acid and lemon). The spots were a little lighter after that, but I was still very disappointed in the lack of improvement (and the fact that I was paying more money to correct a new problem that "they" caused). Anyway, they also started me on the VI-derm 4% hydroquinone lightening cream. That actually seems to be finally lightening things up! I'm happy to see improvement, but still frustrated with the overall process. I will probably return for another microderm (express)/light peel because I loved how my skin felt afterward!

On another note...I LOVE the products that they sent me home with (SkinScript line)! Other than these annoying dark spots, my skin has never felt/looked so good! I guess that is one good thing about this whole experience!

Hi daniland,

Wow, I'm so sorry, it sounds like they burnt you, especially since they had to prescribe you medicine and your face was raw. Sounds painful. Please let us know where you go from here.

Thank you and have a good week!

-Britt