New Areas of Hyperpigmentation..not There Before Peel - Mesa, AZ

I had mild (hormonal) cystic acne, but with olive...

I had mild (hormonal) cystic acne, but with olive toned skin I developed a lot of hyperpigmentation after break outs. I decided to have a VI peel done at the recommendation of an aesthetician. They really down played the down time and recovery period! I read reviews before having it done and everything seemed positive...now I find all the bad reviews!

Anyway, the procedure itself only took a few minutes and burned a little, but quickly went numb. Until I got in the car...then my face felt on fire! It was better once I got home. I looked in the mirror that night and saw large black spots and streaks on my cheeks and neck. I immediately called to see if it was normal and they said that the peel was just bringing up the pigment. I explained that these spots were not there before the peel and looked more like a burn. They said it was normal and good b/c I was responding well. They had told me I would just look a little tanned, but I looked so odd that I had to call in sick to work...very embarrassing.

I started to peel ~24-48 hours later with the heaviest peeling on days 3-6. The black spots and streaks peeled off (in the shower, I didn't pick), and left behind very raw areas. They gave me an Rx for hydrocortisone which I applied to the raw red spots. I was hopeful that everything would heal normally. I am now on day 10 and have hyperpigmentation on all of those spots. My original spots (pre-peel) are slightly lighter, but over all I look much worse!!! I have a follow up appointment scheduled for this Thursday. I plan on complaining, but I'm worried that there won't be anything else they can do for me (except another peel-NO WAY!).

The person who applied the peel didn't seemed to know what she was doing and I thought barely applied anything. Maybe she did focus a little more on those spots, but it was pretty light. I don't know if I am just too sensitive for this, but I am very concerned about long term scarring! I'm so disappointed and embarrassed (and out $350). I'm sure this is wonderful for other people, but a very bad idea for me!

Derma Health Institute