Non-stop Burning Pain a Year After Reconstruction - Arizona

Like many others, I found the expansion process...

Like many others, I found the expansion process very painful (non-stop burning pain and feeling like I am wearing a tourniquet). I expected to have significant relief when the expanders were replaced with implants, but almost 1 year later the life-changing pain is still there.

My PS sent me to a pain specialist who prescribed gabopentin, lyrica, and most recently Cymbalta. I also tried 6 weeks of bi-weekly acupuncture. The acupuncture gave me intermittent, mild relief, but the pain continues to be overpowering and life-changing no matter how positive I try to be. Finding things to take my mind off the pain has been the most effective, but it's a constant struggle and depression is making me find less and less things that I care about anymore.

The pain specialist is the only doctor (GP, gynocologist, oncologist, PS) with whom I've spoken who has treated a patient with the same symptoms and that patient was the only one in his 15 years of practice. All the others say that many women have pain up to 2 or 3 years, but not like the pain I describe.

My last option is to have the implants removed, but no one knows whether that will resolve the problem either.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced the non-stop burning pain I've described whether they've had a mastectomy or not. Did removing the implants resolve the pain?

My goodness, I'm so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. We do have a breast implant removal community as well that you could also check for ladies who have experienced the burning you are describing.

Here is some other info that you may find helpful:

Pain with Implant. Is This Normal?

Do Bottoming out Breast Implants Hurt?

Burning Pain 7 Months BA Post Op with a Large Indention Close to Sternum, Should I be Concerned?