Had Bad Lower Eyelid Surgery - Arcadia, Ca

I went for a consultation to see what i could do...

I went for a consultation to see what i could do for a smoother appearance under my eyes. I did not have wrinkles or bags. Doctor told me the only thing that will fix this is lower blepharoplasty. Gave me no other options. I trusted him completely.

He never warned me of the complications of this surgery or risks or told me he would be changing my natural almond eyes shape to rounded out puppy dog eyes. I now have very thin crepey skin under my eyes, sunken in hollowed out under my eyes, volume loss.

I complained to him very soon after surgery, he said i am still healing, give it time. Months go by still no change. 12 month later i tell him i think i'm healed now, where is the smoother appearance i came in for? Why is my skin so thin and crepey still? why are my eyes still rounded? Why is there still pulling down in both eyes? He told me in time the musle will relax.

I started to seek out Oculoplastic surgeons. I went to see 5 of them and they all said i should have never had this surgery. All i needed was some restylane. I was not a good candidate for this type of surgery.

I now suffer with nightmares, i cry all the time. I'm so depressed. This has changed my life. If you are looking for cosmetic surgery for the eyes please seek out only Oculoplastic surgeons.

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank u sad eyes. For the info, I'm looking for a competent honest oculoplastic surgeon that can fix my eyes. I was reading ur experience feel bad for u n I can really relate to u because I had a similar experience with a charlatan Dr Eugene Cherney who destroyed my eyes n life n now I have to find an oculoplastic surgeon that can fix my eyes. I have lower lid retraction n I don't know if Dr. Parsa can fix this type of problems. Thank u for sharing ur experience with us.
Thank you mely, I had the lower lid retraction also. Dr Parsa did a really good job lifting my lower eyelids back up in the normal position. He does fix these types of probelms. I know i should post photos. I have been thinking about it. I still have a hard time looking at photos from my first surgery. I feel your pain. I hope things go well for you.
Ah, I'm so happy to hear that I have a hope with Dr. Parsa. Please send me some pictures of u before n after surgery u can send them in my inbox if u don't want everybody to see it, I understand but it's really important for me to see how skilled its Dr. Parsa in correcting ectropion. Please.
Thank you sad eyes...I really appreciate your review and for passing along the name of one of the better docs out there. The best to you as well...
Sad eyes...I am considering Dr.Parma for a lower bleph. Did you find him receptive to questions when you went for a consult? Were his fees higher because it was a revision on a bad result? How long was your recovery? Thanks for your review.
Hi notsogood, regarding your concern about having a professional doctor doing your blephoralplasty.. it was my experience that by not using an oculoplastic surgeon the first time i had to suffer with the botched work of a regular plastic surgeon. Dr Parsa is very thorough and he listens to your every concern which he addresses. I believe all revision surgeries are more expensive than a blephoraplasty done right the first time. This is not unreasonable because the specialist has to fix whatever went wrong. I just want you to know that Dr Parsa gave me my life back. I look like myself and again- and that is priceless! I found Dr Parsa on the internet while searching for a Doctor who specializes in fixingbad surgeries. You should always go to a Doctor who specializes in what need done. Don't chance it.
You should always go to a Doctor who specializes in what you need done. Recovery was a few months.
Thank you Sad eyes...I have an appt for a consult with him on Dec 6th. My eyes were ruined by a bad fat transfer. I'm told the only way to fix it is with a lower bleph. I'm afraid of another procedure but apparently its my only option. A few months seem like a long recovery...were you able to hide it with make up and leave the house during that time?
I'm so sorry that happened to you. It was a long recovery for me because i heal slowly and it was a long surgery. I hide it with sunglasses. I just had swelling. It was well worth it. I don't know where i would be now without the revision. I was extremely depressed. I am so happy i choose Dr Parsa. I pray and hope the best for you :)
Hi notsogood! Did u went to see Dr. Parsa? N how did it go? I also need to get my eyes fix it would help very much if I can have more info about him. I would appreciated very much. Thank u.
Mely, I went to see Dr Parsa for a consult, but ended up having the revision done by another doctor. I liked him and he was one of the two I was making my final choice between. I would recommend the doc I ended up with, but he is no longer doing any revision work. So many women were coming in with fat transfer problems, it was taking up too much of his time from regular eye surgeries. My main hesitation with Parsa was that his approach was too conservative for my needs and I didn't feel he had the same experience with FT repairs that the other doc did. He didn't want to surgically remove the fat under my eyes, but rather wanted to try laser surfacing in that area instead. The other PS felt the lumps under my right eye were too large for laser to help much. Depending on how much lumping you have, laser may be enough for you. I would go for a few consults before you make a final choice. I consulted 4 different PS (all eye specialists in Beverly Hills) and each wanted to do something different. It helped having several different opinions on what could...or couldn't be done. One of the other PS I saw was Guy Massry. Mixed reviews on his results, some very good, some not so much, so I opted not to go with him. I wish I could be more help, but I do think it wouldn't hurt to at least have a consult with Parsa & Massry to get their opinions on what you might need for your particular situation.
Hi notsogood! Thank u for answering me. What I need it's revision on my eyes for ectropion that I have now due to a blepharoplasty I had 11yrs ago by a charlatan "certified plastic surgeon" Eugene Cherney in Des Moines IA. I need to find n honest oculoplastic surgeon with vast experience in revision of lower lids. Thank u notsogood for all the info u had provided to this forum.
His academic credentials are OK but hardly fabulous.
Also his website does not say he is Board Certified by the American College of Plastic Surgeons. Could be an oversight but I doubt it.
The idea that one should go to an occuplastic surgeon is nutty. Any comptetent Board Certfied Plastic Surgeon can do a simple eye operation. It only takes an hour or two depending upon whether you have both upper and lower eyelids done. And it is one of the most commonly performed operations.
Is this guy listed in the book which rates doctors called The Castle Connolly Guide? Your local library should have a copy.
You probably didn't check out his credentials thoroughly enough. After all it's your FACE and it is almost impossible to sue a doctor for a poor result.
There is NOTHING SIMPLE about it, and is far from NUTTY.
It's completely simple if the doctor knows what he/she is doing. It only requires experience in knowing how much fat to remove from under the lower eyes and the ability to make incisions that aren't noticeable.
I'd rather be vain than stupid. You are the one whose eyes look bad. Mine look excellent. Several other doctors have complemented my plastic surgeon saying its almost impossible to tell I have had anything done.
I'm happy you were happy for a good result, but any surgery is far from simple, even by the most qualfied doctors. It is foolish to think otherwise. There is always a risk. One need only look at some of the reviews here to see what and how often it can go wrong. One is only stupid (or naive), if they accept that any surgery is a cake walk.
Well, several well-known plastic surgeons have told me it is an easy operation so I think they know better than you do. People have trouble because they try to save money so they go to poor doctors and/or doctors who are not qualified to do cosmetic eye surgery.
Only one person I know has ever had a problem. She tried to save money by going to a general eye surgeon who was incompetent in plastic surgery. Everyone else I know has had great results, but then they all went to high profile plastic surgeons in New York.
As for the reviews here, many of the people went to nobodies in the middle of nowhere. I wonder why they had problems?
Fifteen years ago, I went for an upper and lower bleph in Beverly Hills CA, by a Dr. Birnbaum. At the time, he was one of the best known plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills. I think he may still be practicing. Trust me, he wasn't the cheapest guy on the block...quite the contrary. I went to the one I thought would do the best job. Money was not a factor for me. After the surgery, I was unable to close my left eye completely and both eyes took on a hollowed appearance. Not exactly a great result. Today I still am having problems with my left eye because of a "dry eye" condition from the lid not closing. After consulting with several other doctors, it appears that I can't do much about it other than keep my eye lubricated by putting a gel in my eye every night, and eye drops in several times a day. If I don't, I risk losing the sight in that eye. I am married to a doctor (an md, but not a plastic surgeon) and he assures me that the fee is not necessarily relevant to the quality of care, and especially so with plastic surgeons. For many of them, much of their reputation is created thru their own efforts by advertising, tv appearances, celebrity endorsements, etc. They also assume if they put a big price tag on it, you will assume they are better. So while you may, or may not, "know better" than I do, I have no doubt a MD knows more than you do. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but it is no more or less relevant (or factual) than any one else who may be sharing their experience here. You lucked out and had a good result, good for you, I'm happy for you. But to assume that makes you an expert on the subject, is naive.
To answer your questions: Yes, he is Board Certified, I did my work, however, Board Certification means nothing, perhaps just that they haven't killed or blinded a patient. Don't know what Castle Connolly is. Eye operations are NOT simple. Are you a doctor? Every year thousands of people are grossly deformed by this, as you say "easy" surgery. I have gotten off very lightly compared to a lot of people, for 15 years my eyes were fine, now they are not. I am seeing an occuloplastic surgeon next week and if he can do nothing then I will just have to live with it. Surgeon was an a*hole in love with himself, however, I chose the surgery and therefore must take most of the responsibility. As for he performed "other" operations I meant breast augmentation, etc. Didn't realize I should have chosen a doc who should specialized in eyes.
Was the doctor Board Certified in plastic surgery?
Was he listed in the Castle Connolly book of best doctors as a plastic suregon?
Did you ask him how many cosmetic eye operations he had ever done? Should be hundreds at least.
Eye operations are fairly simple to do. Guy must be incompetent. When you say he "performed different kinds of surgeries" it's hard to know what you mean.
Eye operations are among the most frequently done procedures by Board Certified plastic surgeons. If he is an eye surgeon (they frequently try to poach bleph operations from plastic surgeons)or a general surgeon he can legally perform plastic surgery but would have had limited to no training in the field.
How much did you pay, all-in, including any clinic or hospital fees?
Randall651 i used to work for a Board Certified Plastice surgoen years ago who did breast augs/reductions, lipo, eyelids,facelifts,tummytucks he did it all and he was great, He eventually retired. So years later when i neeed eyelid surgery i went to a BCPS who specialized in Facial Plastic Surgery and i now have scarred upper eyelids and creapy lower lids and no it was not cheap!!!...I am considering Dr. Parsa and you say his credentials are just OK.. go to youtube and watch some of his actual eye lid surgerys they are pretty impressive
By the way eyelid surgery is not an easy surgery. Whoever told you that sounds like they were blowing smoke up your a**..If it was easy then why are there so many botched up surgerys???
Randall651, I went to a Board Certified surgeon for my upper and lower blep and he totally screwed up. He performed different kinds of surgeries so therefore, was not a "specialist" in eyes, however, I was naive and did not know this. Board Certified means NOTHING I even called them before surgery to find out if he had any outstanding law suits against him, they said no. I have recently found out that he mutilated some poor woman and was kicked out of the practice. Guess what, he has started up his own practice since and his operating on other unsuspecting patients. BTW he is very arrogant and thinks a great deal of himself, I believe this is a common trait amongst PS. Now I have an appointment with an occuloplastic surgeon, wish I had done this in the first place. BTW Randall651 you sound very vain.
doing great! Thanks

Hi sad eyes -- I saw on a different thread that you had revision surgery. Could you please let us know how you're doing now?