First Trays - Ann Arbor, MI

I'm a 30 year old CPA. I work with clients a...

I'm a 30 year old CPA. I work with clients a lot, and didn't want to look like a 12 year old with metal braces.

I'm on my first set of trays. So far, it's pretty easy. My dentist explained that the first set of trays is sort of a "training set" - They don't move your teeth very much, and mostly are to let you get used to the plastic feeling in your mouth. My next appointment includes 9 buttons. (I'm a little nervous about that part, but they assured me that there wouldn't be any on my front teeth and that it would only take about 20 minutes.) So far though, definitely the right choice.

White Pearl Dentistry

I have an appointment for impressions next week! I am very excited, but just not sure about those buttons. How do they attach them without scraping enamel of the teeth? Isn't it just filling material that is used for creating buttons on top of the teeth? What do they use to form them?
Toronto - I actually got my buttons tonight. They start by roughing up the enamel by applying a bit of acid (I've also read that some dentists use a drill, but mine used the acid). They actually make two copies of the try that has your first set of buttons - With the first template set, they put the composite filling material into the button holes and put it on. Then, with the trays on, they use a blue light to cure the composite. Then, they remove the template, remove the extra composite with a drill, and give you the real tray. So far, I'm not a huge fan. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the aligners off with them on. But, they are definitely tighter and I can feel my teeth moving more with them. I guess that's a good thing.

Hi hIh,

Welcome to the Invisalign community! Reading your review made me think of Miranda from Sex and the City, when she got braces and she is a lawyer and she thought everyone made fun of her because she looked 12. :) I'm glad thus far it is working out for you. How long do you have to wear them? Any pain thus far? Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Britt - I have 22 trays in total. Not any real pain, but the trays definitely put pressure on my teeth and it's uncomfortable. After a couple days though, they're shifted into their new spot and they're pretty comfortable until the next set.