Probably Ruined my College Experience. But at Least I'm Hot Now That I'm About to Graduate! - Anaheim, CA

I never thought my teeth were horrible, but I did...

I never thought my teeth were horrible, but I did have a slight overjet and crowding. I wasn't insecure about them, but they certainly could have been improved upon. Then one day I found out that one of my baby teeth (there was no adult replacement) had a huge cavity and would need an implant or bridge. This alone would have cost $10,000 +, so my dentist have me the option of removing the same tooth on the other side, thus fixing my overjet, filling the gap, and straightening my teeth. It sounded perfect. All except the actual time I had to spend in braces. I was told I need 2 and a half years...starting my freshman year at USC.

I did get the sapphire braces, which many people didn't even notice, but they made me incredibly insecure. I NEVER wanted to go out and I was terrified that I would be made fun of for having ADULT BRACES. How gross does this sound? Unfortunately, Invisalign wouldn't close the gap, so I had to suck it up. It took THREE years, but now I feel great. My teeth are perfect. Dentists even tell me so! And I went from feeling like an ugly duckling to a top dog! I got approached by Playboy only months after getting them off. I've never been so confident. I'm still not perfect, but its definitely a piece of the puzzle. My bf's friends ask if I have fake teeth because they are so perfect. Just use Crest Whitestrips and then you have a seriously celebrity smile.

That said, my ortho sucked! I will not put his name here as he actually left (or was fired from the practice). While the end result was good, he had his assistants do all the work and they even put plastic brackets on me by accidents a couple times. Once they did it on purpose because they ran out of my type! Ridiculous! But I am ok because the pain is gone and I feel so much better.

The worst part of having braces is definitely the spacers put in beforehand and the first couple days. Adjustments were a breeze.

Ruined your college experience? Try actually NEEDING braces and see how well your social life turns out. People understand that some people want to fix their teeth later in life, maybe not everybody else is as judgmental. Not everyone walks around thinking of someone they don't even know as "gross" because they want to enhance their smile as an adult. I'm sure they'll just love to glare at them in the magazine.
I absolutely agree. My own insecurities definitely made the braces process difficult for me. I had trouble speaking, got food stuck in my teeth 24/7 and just looked silly with rubber bands. :P Not everyone is cruel, but my roommate my freshman year actually called me braceface. :/ It was a very trying time for me, but I am so thankful that I got it done.

HI biginjapan,

Welcome to the community. I understand, I dealt with something similar accept mine was 8 years and all through junior high and high school. I understand it was not adult braces, but I completely agree with the insecurities of the braces. I'm so glad it all worked out for you, and Playboy, Wow that's awesome. Do you have pictures of your amazing smile? Do you find you gums get irritated from the white strips? Mine do and I was told it was due to the multiple years of braces. Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Pick a Dr. that will do the work himself and really work to make you comfortable. I think small clinics are better, not factories that pump out tons of patients.