Facelift/Necklift - Cancun, MX

I went to Cancun, Mexico Oct to have a Facelift,...

I went to Cancun, Mexico Oct to have a Facelift, Necklift and Tummy Tuck with Lipo and Arm Lift. I was turning 60, I had a VSG a little over a year ago and wanted to fix some of the left over issues after weight loss.

The hospital was great, went to the Amerimed. Had agreed on with Dr. Velasco on procedures. When I came to my arms were not done nor my daughters in the manner we agreed and I paid for. They actually look worse than before because he did Lipo and now they are all wrinklely because there is no fat and only skin. Told me I could come back to fix them but why should I have to go back and pay for plane fares, etc. Besides the fact that my neck looks like someone stitched it and pulled a gather stitch and there is a roll between my chin and the gather. Looks awful.

Trying to be patient to see if it improves, after 2 months, still the same. I have spent every other day at hospital here for over a month because of wound care. My incision had gaping hole 2 inches by 3/4th inch by 1/2 inch deep and there was pockets under the skin, my daughter who went with me is going through the same thing. First she had small hole and now two months her incision just came open to tunnels under the skin. She is seeing wound care specialist also.

Just wanting to let you know that there is so many things that can go wrong. My face is okay, don't think he did half of what he said he would do, still swelling but the roll between the gather and chin looks awful. If they don't do what they say they are going to do you are not going to get a refund. You are out of that money. Plus we had to stay a couple extra days which is just something to think about.

Now Dr. Velasco will not answer me when I write him about the money or the before pics he promised. I had surgery there before for a VSG and Dr. was wonderful, everything went great, would do that part again, would never go for plastic surgery with Dr. Velasco again. In his office for aftercare, there is no privacy and not clean, mold on walls, didn't even pull a clean paper on the table for my daughter, no one in room with you except him and you will be totally naked with nothing over you.

Word of warning to everyone - this surgeon is not who he claims to be. His real surname is VELAZCO with a "Z" and not VELASCO with an "S". He is no longer BOARD CERTIFIED and has lost this very important medical status. To verify the credentials of any Board Certified plastic surgeon in Mexico go to the Mexican Board of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery website at www.cmcper.org.mx and enter the doctors name in the search box. This is the only organization in Mexico that Board Certifies (and re-certifies) every qualified Plastic & Reconstructive surgeon in Mexico. Here is the listing for Dr Rafael VelaZco Marin (aka VelaSco) that shows he is no longer a Board Certified surgeon - www.cmcper.org.mx/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1383%3Avelazco-marin-rafael&catid=3%3Acertificados-yo-recertificados&lang=us Please be careful and always verify the credentials of a Board Certified surgeon anywhere in the world.
I had the same trouble with my wounds and now am left with very visible scars and a tunnel coming from the ear almost to my cheek bone. I will say I look a lot younger but scars and a drooping eye was the cost. I'm 6 months out in about 9 days so I guess this is what it is. I wish you the best of recovery and thank you for sharing your story.

Still battling tunnels and holes in my stomach...

Still battling tunnels and holes in my stomach from TT. Maybe one day it will end. My Facelift/Necklift is a little better but where the gathered skin is, it is falling lower so is more visible so not happy at all with that. It isn't as tight but still not good. Lower neck is better in that it is less bumpy. Still have ridge between chin and gathered skin but not as prominent. Still not thrilled but learning to live with it. There is pockets behind my earlobes that I have to watch out for as I worry about soap collecting and causing irratation. They do itch a lot. Not sure if that is scar tissue or what, It has been 5 months and hopefully by a year things will be sorted out but if not life goes on. I am not "my looks", I am me for who I am and I refuse to let this keep me from living my life. Somehow I ended up with 2 profiles so this was my update but came in as a comment from Sewmuch. I am on my way to the wound clinic as I have expelled more "ethibond 2" sutures from TT and need to get them cut out. I am still going every week or so.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Tummy Tuck issues

It had been 7 months and I had to have another surgery. Cut again from side to side due to infected sutures. New PS went in and took out all infected permanent stitches he could find. Culture came back with MRSA infection. It has now been 6 weeks since last surgery and I am doing much better. So glad to have the infection out. Scar looks much better than before since it had come wide open and had many holes from the tunnels. Dr. was able to clean everything out and fix everything. Still praying I heal all the way this time with no more complications.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Facelift and TT

Still have gathering under neck from lipo. Jowls are still there but not as bad as in the beginning but there all the same. Dr. Velasco was suppose to pull up brows but didn't. Really can't tell a lot of difference in face at all but as I said before he didn't do a lot of things he said he would do and I paid for.Still itch behind my ears where he left pocket when doing sutures. It has been 9 months and finally after all the complications of the tummy tuck I am feeling better.
I am all healed from second surgery and can finally go swimming and take a bath. Haven't been able to take a bath in over 9 months. Only showers.

Hi sonothappy - I'm glad to hear that your revision surgery for your tummy tuck was successful and that you can now enjoy a bath and go swimming again. I know the hell you've been through with all the complications you've had and can only imagine how relieved you are to feel better again! This is good news! It is disappointing that your facelift results were so unsatisfactory in the end. Perhaps one day down the road you'll find another surgeon who can improve your results. Thanks for sharing & updating...all the best to you. :)
Thanks, Chica, I am glad to be over all of this and going on with life. I don't think I will go under the knife voluntarily again. I think I will have to just be the way I am. Wish Dr. Velasco wasn't the way he was as he has ripped off a lot of people and messed them up, its ashame but it is done and I have to move on now. Sometimes I think I probably am better off he didn't do some of the things, I may have really been messed up. Next month will be a year.
Thank you, Chica!
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Chose my Dr. throught Medical Tourism and the rating is because of the experience I had with this Doctor, not happy at all with any of my procedures at this point.