Cerec V. Lab Crown - Alabama

This site never popped up for me during my months...

This site never popped up for me during my months of google searches so I don't know if this review will help or not, but I thought I should try to help others. I had two large fillings that I decided to replace at the same time. The appointment was at 3 p.m. At 4:30, the CEREC machine still had not spit out the crowns and the dentist left. The crowns arrived the following week. The CEREC crown was buckled and had an irregular margin. The dentist and her assistant insisted that the crown was properly designed and that I was being too picky. In fact, even the billing people sat down with me to tell me that the way the crown was designed is what the machine determined was the best design for my mouth. The crown was indeed wrong. It messed up my entire mouth bite and, instead of remaking the crown, she proceeded to try to file down teeth to get the crown to fit with my other teeth. Finally, after 2 months, she said the lab should re-do the crown to correct the margins. Nevermind, that my bite was now off because of ONE crown. Two months later, the lab crown is back. Though it too was angled incorrectly, the QUALITY of the lab crown is much better. I can feel the grooves and tooth area on the LAB crown. The CEREC feels too smooth and unnatural (it doesn't feel like a natural tooth, but a tooth that has a filling). From my experience, NOT everyone should let their dentist do a CEREC crown. If you want grooves in your teeth and you want the crowns to look like your natural teeth, you need to go with the lab. If you want the crowns very smooth and just to look pretty, go with CEREC. EXPERIENCE is what counts; try to research the experience of the dentist before you let them do your crowns. My crown is still not right because she let the assistant do the impression both times and apparently my natural bite was not captured during the impression. I have been to one prosthodonist who is hesistant to do any work on my mouth because of the way she handled the first crown and trying to get my NATURAL teeth to match the crown. I have an appointment with another prosthodontist to try to see if he will replace the crown. If he won't replace the crown, I will be forced to go back to the my dentist and, at this point, I am afraid to let her do another crown for me. I don't understand why dentists just don't offer refunds when there is a major screw up.

Rather Not Say

I would not recommend the dentist that did my crowns, though she is a lovely person.

The crowns were repaced with lab crowns. They are much better quality but it has been 6 months and my teeth dont feel like they belong in my mouth. One things is clear though and that is the cerec crowns sbould be only be used in routine situations and only by a dentist skilled in cosmetic dentistry.

Everytime i go to a dentist they tell me a different story! The new buzz word is Cerec and Zirconai. I believe it takes years of technical training and experience to make good crowns. Many general dentists due to high competition buy the Cerec machines - as beauty shops re: lasers- do quick training course and then We the guinea pig pays the price.
You should allow them to redo your CEREC, there are a multitude of materials to choose from....AND there are multiple versions of CEREC software in use. Make sure they are using a current machine with current software. The marginal fit of CEREC is no longer an issue with a properly imaged preparation and proper tooth preparation. You are just as likely to get crowns requiring adjustment from a lab.
The 2nd prosthodontist did an xray and the CEREC crown was not cut correctly and is sitting too high. I was told to go back to the original dentist office and they need to correct the crowns.

:-/ That doesn't sound too fun. Please keep us posted on how you are doing with it.

I'm sorry to hear your crown has been less than a comfortable experience. Please let us know how things go after you see then next prosthodontist.