In the Army; Need Some Guidance :) - Alabama, AL

Going in for my surgery on the 14th of March 2011....

Going in for my surgery on the 14th of March 2011. I'm in the army and was expecting to get the silicone implants placed under muscle. My PS advised me, however, that I should probably place them over the muscle because I'll have to continue doing push-ups for the remainder of my career (about 10 more years).

Anyway, just wanted to know about anyone's experiences with over/unders and working out. I teeter between a 36B and 34C and am also concerned about whether I have enough breast tissue to cover the implant so as not to look "done."

Also, I'll be taking leave to recuperate, but I'm not sure whether I'll need to inform the medical personnel at the clinic on post about the surgery. I'm in aviation and am concerned about the down-time they might force on me (no flying time, which I can't afford). Flying is a very mentally-saturating task, as opposed to a physical one. It'll be about 4 weeks before I go back to work anyway.

Any advice from anyone would be helpful. I'm a pansy when it comes to pain so that's the biggest of my concerns. Thanks everyone!

Surgery's scheduled for tomorrow at 5:30 in the...

Surgery's scheduled for tomorrow at 5:30 in the AM! Wish me luck; I'll let you guys know how it all went.

Day 2 after the surgery and everything is going...

Day 2 after the surgery and everything is going swimmingly. The pain is a lot less intense than I'd expected (I did go over the muscle though, so that could have a lot to do with it). Boobs are a little high and torpedo-ish, but that's ok, I know they'll drop soon enough.
This is definitely a dream come true for me, and even though I won't be able to enjoy swimsuit season this year due to an impending deployment, I'll always get to look at my boobs and smile.
Definitely worth it after 10 years of buying expensive Victoria's Secret bras to enhance my bust.

Dothan Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Baker was an easy choice for this procedure. On top of being certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Board of Plastic Surgery, he also belongs to the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, which is not an easy task to find. He was also selected to participate in the Mentor Core Gel Study which served to gain the FDA's approval of silicone gel in 2006. Dr. Baker was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and he suggested going over the muscle because I'm still in the military and can't afford to wait around for months to regain chest muscle strength to do push-ups. I'm glad he suggested this and am extremely happy with the results. The ladies at Dothan Plastic Surgery are so nice and always available to answer any question. Lord knows I've called them many times and each time they've treated me with kindness and caring. If you live far away and an make the trip to see this doctor and his staff for your surgery, you will not regret it. He is more than qualified to work on your girls and will give you amazing results.

A pansy in the Army? I don't believe it! Lol! All great questions and I'm glad you're getting some guidance here. They have some great pain meds and I'm sure you'll do just great. Please keep us posted!

I have heard from several ladies who have a strenuous work out program that having "unders" created muscle distortion. I have unders and when I flex my muscles, just opening a jar, my breast definitely distort a little. Overs are supposed to keep that from happening since they are on top of the muscle verses under the muscle. If you were close to a "C" cup I would imagine you have enough breast tissue to have overs. Your surgeon can reassure you. Good luck! :)
I am in the Air Force and I had to notify my doctor on base. I also had to get a letter signed by my commander and the med group commander had to also sign it. My doctor did not say anything about my implant being under the muscle and it affecting my pushups.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to ask the clinic tomorrow for some guidance.