I Had Ear Lobes Like a Bloodhound - Wilmington, DE

I am 67, in good shape physically and mentally....

I am 67, in good shape physically and mentally. However, I had that genetic issue with long ear lobes. My dad, God rest his soul, had huge ears when he passed at age 89. I didn't want to go there, so I figured I'd nip them in the bud, so to speak. No use in waiting. I still have the stitches in, but the lobes look really good. My surgeon will remove them 2 weeks post-surgery, re-pierce six weeks post. he did not want to pierce them right away as I have seen posted here, as tissue will shrink and the positioning may be off-center. I am willing to wait, and I will use Mederma as soon as stitches are removed, as I do have an almost 2" incision along the bottom of each lobe. However, about 3/4" was removed from each earlobe, so I think it will look better, regardless.

Aww, thanks for sharing your story, Houndgirl! I didn't know long earlobes were genetic (although now that I think about it, I know a few families where this is definitely true). How are you feeling? Are you healing well?

Five weeks post surgery

Very pleased with the the healing process, and I am still waiting to have the lower ears take their natural shape. I do 't have anyone to take photos.
I am having the re-piercings done next week, as the swelling and redness is gone.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

I was a little unsettled by the doctor's young appearance. He looked 25, but I am told he is I n his 4o's. Maybe that's a good testament, although I could not see any evidence of any surgery he might have had. This guy had ZERO bedside manner, answered my questions succinctly and I was concerned that he used the word "hopefully" so frequently. The procedure took about an hour for both ears, not including numbing time. I was probably out of there, start to finish, two hours. Dr said not more than 20 words to me in that time. I did ask for post-op care; nothing but antibiotic ointment. I think I will be very pleased, but just because the surgeon was sorely lacking in communication skills doesn't mean I won't have a great outcome. I didn't want to talk to him because I thought he was in his "zone," and knowing a little but about surgery, I could tell when he was making the interior sutures, then the exterior. Fun to actually hear part of your body being cut off! but there was no pain.