Post Op Open Rhino Adelaide, SA

Now 22 I never considered that rhinoplasty is...

Now 22 I never considered that rhinoplasty is something I could ever afford or have the courage to go through with. Considering how much I hate my nose I'm surprised at how little I was picked on in school. I have a daughter now and plans for marriage in the future and all I want now is to be a pretty mum and not be afraid to turn my head side on to the camera on my wedding day. One consult down, 2nd in a week and surgery 2weeks after that ! CANNOT WAIT. Most people wont understand, hence why Ive only told 2 people, one being my partener. Best to save the stress of others judgements.
I'm from Adelaide too! Which surgeon did you pick? Wow, your surgery is coming up soon!! Mine isn't until September. How are you feeling? :)
Excited ! I chose Peter Sylaidis after reading so many great reviews and they were all correct.... actually, i think yours might have been one ! So thank you ! Haha
Haha!! Great to hear!! Are you having surgery at the APSA building? I'm going to Burnside. Is your quoted price all up or just Dr Sylaidis' fees? I'm nervous!!

quick question for post op members

Ive read heaps of post surgery reviews about recovery and having sore throats from the breathing tube. Now im curious, do they put it in after they put you to sleep ?
Yes, the tube goes in after you are asleep. You won't even know it's there! You are going to love not having to dislike your nose anymore. It is so liberating! Here's an interesting video about nose deprojection.
Thats great news haha thank you !
Oh my god what the hell is wrong with you? That video is disturbing and gross! I'm about to have surgery in a few days and that just freaked me out. PLEASE post a warning of the graphic nature of a video. That's just rude.

5 days

Another 5 days and I'll be at my confirmation consult and hopefullybe able to pay all the fees. Then everything will be set in stone. Am loving everyone's updates so far :D
congrats on your decision. I didn't tell my family until AFTER my surgery. I didn't want to be stressed over any negativity. I told my momma about 4 days after my surgery. She was upset, but once she seen my new nose she was more accepting of my decision.
I almost told my mum yesterday but the timing didnt feel right, especially as all my life, every idea i put to her she would put down or say i couldnt do it because of this and that. Ive not once felt obligated to explain my decision on this site because everyone already understands. i love this place :)
:) This site is very awesome with all the support. We are, for the most part, all feeling the same way and just want to better ourselves. There is nothing wrong with bettering ourselves either, but society can sometimes make us feel bad for the desires we have. Getting a new nose was the best decision I made. Goodluck with telling your momma when the time comes. :)

2nd consult done and dusted

Just finished my confirmation consult. Pay for the procedure in a few days then everything will be set in stone ! Once again a wonderful experience at Dr. Sylaidis's office :)
:) breathing tube goes in after your sleeping and us out before you wake up. You won't have any recollection of it.
Is

Pathetic Cyber Bullys

Pretty disappointed to be reading nasty comments on this site. The last thing anybody needs on here is abuse. I guess even this forum isn't immune to the sickness of the cowards we call keyboard warriors. Taking your insecurities out on others isnt ok, online or in person. There's no shame in having plastic surgery to improve your looks and build confidence. It'd be like abusing people for losing weight ! On another note, cannot wait to have my surgery and share my experience with the members who dont need to make people feel bad to feel good :)
Hey there! Did you ask about getting more tip work done? Do you have to see the anaesthetist before you arrive at APSA for your surgery?
Yea it was no extra charge, its just turned into an open rhino no that he has to make the slit between the nostrls and they're sending me to burnside for the procedure too. They didnt mention seeing the anaethetist so im guessing we'll just meet when i get there for the procedure
Mine is an open rhino too - is this because he's shortening the length? I can't wait to follow your story!! It's like we are getting exactly the same rhino work!!

Surgeons Fee Paid

Well after a 2minute call all Ive got left to do is send off my admission forms for the hospital and pay their fees before it just turns into a waiting game. Time seems to be going too slow yet the date is coming up so fast. The nerves and excitement are kicking in more and more each day, Im wondering when the fear will do the same. It still doesnt feel like reality and probably wont sink in until ive got an IV in my arm ! :)

Pre Op Shop

Can anyone give me suggestions of what to buy before i have my surgery ? Its coming up so fast and i have no idea what I'll need. I realised the other day that my Dr hadnt mentioned much at all about post op except tha they will prescribe pain relief and antibiotics as well i think. Ive read heaps of reviews mentioning arnica and bromelain, also some about neosporin/saline spray. I know I'll get aftercare instructions when leaving the hospital but I wont be wanting to go straight to the chemist/shops all bandaged and drugged :p any ideas will be appreciated :)
First thing first, i tried nelsons arnica 30c capsules, 1 dose is 2 capsules and split 3 doses throughout day for 7 days pre op, day of surgery, take 1 3 hours before surgery and again 1 hr before surgery, thereafter after surgery take it every hour for first 12 hours and 7 days post op three times a day. The doctors were shocked how minimal bruising that too only on one eye :) . Anyways most importantly you need u shape pillow, moisturising lip balm, ice pack/frozen peas, make sure alot of water is always with you, straws to make you drink it easier, and just someone who can help you first 48 hours. Message me if you need anymore info
I'll definately be getting the arnica, so many ppl have mentioned it working great. Thank you :)
Really does, you get 84 capsules in one little pack i think so 42 doses there :) 1 wasnt enough so i had to buy 2 for myself

one day to go !

Time felt like it was going so slow and yet tomorrow i go in for my op ! Agh im getting excited, still not nervous but there's still time for that ! Got my arnica tablets and cream, stool softeners, paw paw ointment for lips, pineapple juice, u shaped pillow and some vitamin c. Hope it all helps to make for a swift recovery :)
Good luck!:)
Today! Is your day! I will be waiting for your post ! Prayed for you!
Can you buy these arnica tablets at any chemist? I've read mixed reviews about them (some people say its just a placebo effect) so I am curious to see how you go after taking them - I really hope they do work. Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you!!! Can't wait for your next update :)

final befores

Going to be brave and post some clear before photos. They show just how bad it is. When i told my friend i was doing it she asked what i wanted changed. I showed and told her and she said she didnt see any of what i was mentioning...so here it is ! Argh. I dont feel this nose belongs to my face, or anyones for that matter. Im starting to worry, as i did at the beginning, that its just too big and too much work that i wont get the drastic change that i want. But the worst thing right now is fasting, so hungry haha cant wait to update post op !
Good luck! Excited for you! Enjoy your time butterfly!
Good luck!!! I'll be thinking of you!!! There's always revision in 10 months if you want more work done - I feel exactly the same way. I don't think mine is going to be drastic - more a subtle, natural look which I feel Dr S prefers. Let us know how you go with recovery!! x
I met a lady in the waiting room who'd had work done by sylaidis. She described him as being an artist. I think we chose the right guy haha he was great. Im happy to say you'd be right to put your confidence on him :)

officially post op

Cant believe its done ! The procedure and processes were great, not to mention the amazing staff. Had a little pain when i woke but they took care of it straight away. Have little bruising started under one eye but still no pain or swelling. Im sure it will all catch up tomorrow. And no inner splits, only cast and tape on the outside. Thanks for all the comforting comments, im looking forward to sharing the final result ! Best thing was meeting a lady in the waiting room who had had my same surgeon previoisly and spoke of him so highly, it was very encouraging and settling to hear :)
Hope recovery goes well! You're gonna look amazing :)
It is going to look beautiful!
Happy recovery! The hard part is over!

day 2

Still minimal bruising and little swelling, if any, havent needed painkillers yet. Only had a slight pulsing sensation in my nose on occasion and a tiny headache. All is well so far. Keeping up the bed rest, trying to do as little as possible and plenty of water and pineapple juice
Hope you're feeling good:)
Hello! I am in the early stages of researching rhino so great to read that you are doing well so far in recovery! Can't wait to see more pics :)
I think im one of the lucky ones :) this site helped a lot in making my decision and finding the right doctor. Its such a blessing ! Good luck with your research

end of day 2

At the end of day 2, the swelling has begun but isnt extremely bad. Lots of crusty blood, one huge clump that im dying to dig out haha my dr's admin said not to touch it at all, even though it is very annoying. I find that the slight pressure from the drip pad helps to reduce itchiness in and around the nostrils for anyone experiencing that :) also i have bloody phlegm coming up which i havent seen anyone mention but think its normal at this stage. im going to fill up on water before bed and hopefully things will still be looking good in the morning !
Are you allowed to wash around your face at all? How long have you taken off work? Hope you're feeling ok this morning!! I've never seen tape across the face like this!
Yea the nurse said just to gentley wipe around the tape. I left where i was working around a month before this due to my hours being cut back so much. My parents are buying a shop of their own so i'll be able to start work there whenever im ready. So lucky ! Swelling is worse today, havent looked in the mirror yet but i can feel it. I feel like a squishy face haha
Oh lucky you! You can hide out until you feel comfortable!! Have you been icing your face? Do you feel uncomfortable or is it bearable? Sorry for asking too many questions haha

day 3

Woke up feeling a little more swollen so i went back to sleep and it feels a little better waking up the 2nd time. Staying in bed today. Still have the bloody phlegm and irritating itchy nostrils. Had a small amount of leakage last night but still havent needed pain meds. It kind of looks as if the bruising is already starting to fade, its turning that dark yellow colour, i wonder if thats the arnica working ! Everything seems to be rather boring today :)

day 4

Not much else to report. Phlegm was clearing up last night and this morning but had some fresh blood this arvo. So sooooo itchy ! Dry blood keeps collecting around my nostril, so much that its almost closed it off, i want it cleaned so bad ! Swelling and bruising are bout the same as yesterday. Doing fine with eating normal meals, didnt have to change to a soft diet except things that take a bit of hard chewing cause slight pressure in my nose. Did i small amount of housework but kept it minimal. Rest rest rest :) my chin has started to get pimples (strange seeing as its the only part of my face without tape!) 3 days until cast comes off....hurry up !

yucky itchy

Was anyone else THIS itchy ? I have no splints or packing to catch the blood and mucus so its all collecting around the edge of my nostrils and drying up there. Its making me super irritated and i really want it tidied up but i know if i call they'll just tell me to leave it as is again ... grrrr this is by far the worst part ! I'd rather be in pain, atleast there's something you can take to fix that !

nostril blocked by crust :/

You and I are in the same boat - my nostrils look like yours but I DO have a drip pad..the blood flow has slowed down and is all crusty nasty. I'm also having the phlegm although I haven't coughed any of it up yet - I can feel it rattling around. I'm pretty itchy too but just trying to think of other things.. I get all my stuff off on Monday so just trying to hang in there 2 more days..
Oh and I forgot to ask - do you have packing in your nose? I do and can't breathe through my nose at all.
No packing just crust ! Ive got 2 days left so trying to do the same and wait it out. Ive been icing the edges of my nostrils with a small ice cube in a cloth to help with itchiness. Seems to work for a while. The tape and cast get itchier every day ! So glad we're almost there ! :)

day 5?

Its the end of day 5 (although realself says its day 4) i might be counting the post op days wrong. Anyway it has probably been the best day. Now that ive found a way to deal with the itching, i feel like i'll be able to hold out until cast off day a lot easier. My parents came to visit, we had pizza and a cuppa and i had a full length conversation without any dripping. For all previous days if i chewed or talked too much my nose would drip a little. As you can see im very yellow but swelling is almost non existant. The tape and cast are feeling gooey, like all my skin oils are building up underneath. Still havent needed painkillers and still sleeping almost through the night. Waking a couple of times, mostly when i hear the little one stir. Lots of water and bedrest is my recommendation. I noticed if i slacked off on fluids is when the puffiness would set in, which includes mornings (obviously you dont drink when you're asleep) i managed to gently make a hole in the dry blood at the edge of my nostril with some boiling salt water on a cotton bud by slowly and carefully twisting. Just enough for air to come through so i dont feel so stuffy. Made a huge difference ! Ive been blessed so far and this site has made it go so much faster with all the lovely comments and interaction with other members :) 1 and a half days until cast off ! Aaaaagh hurry up
Wow your nostrils are really clogged up from the blood!!! Did they say that was normal? Can you breathe properly?? Cannot wait for the unveiling!!!
Yea its normal, unfortunately lol air could pass through one but the other was completely closed from it. I made a small opening with a cotton bud just so that air could get through and it made such a difference with comfort. I cant wait to get this gooey crap off ! Haha
I had the same issue! Making a hole with a qtip and gently using hydrogen peroxide.

1 day pre cast off :)

There is so much oil in the tape from my skin that when I touch it with slight pressure it leaves a residue on my finger... eeeeew ! It feels so slimey under everything. Even though i have a shower, i feel like i need another one later the same day. Cant wait for a good scrubbing ! Washing my hair might make me feel better. Everything else is still uneventful, no pain, minimal swelling. I started dripping late last night (must've spoken too soon) but not badly. From now until my appointment tommorow is going to be the longest wait of all week !
How did the cast removal go??? :D
It was the worst part out of this whole ordeal ! It was super tender on the bridge when he took it off then i actually started to cry when the nurse took out the stitches. Ive never had stitches hurt that much ! But it felt sooooo good when she plucked out the giant glob of dry blood covering my nostril lol
So not looking forward to that part of it!! 5 days must have felt like 5 months!!!! were you allowed to moisturise your face (not nose) while the cast was on?? Your post look is incredibly natural - i really like it!! He did such a good job!!! Did you go to APSA to get it off or back to Burnside?

cast off day !

I was pretty emotional getting the cast off. It took me quite a while to actually look in a mirror. I didnt want to be disappointed but the more i look at it now, the more i like it ! Having the cast and stitches removed was by far the most horrid part of this entire journey ! The bridge was very very tender and the stitches felt like i was being sliced open all over again, i actually teared up and became quite faint. They had me lay down for a bit before letting me go. Looks like ive been through hell and back twice so still looks pretty bad with the bruising and swelling on the nose. But man am i glad to have that frickin cast off ! Skin feels so disgusting, i cant wait to have a proper scrub. It was so nice to go outside after spending 5 straight days inside, we went for an almost 2hr long drive around the city, beaches and hills. Amazing what a change of scenery can do for you :)
You look great! Keep us posted as your nose changes :)
Glad you're happy!
Wow! what a change from your old nose, how do you feel? do you feel more confident? must be weird looking in the mirror

too much too soon ?

Im a little worried at how great recovery is going (sounds silly)... i feel normal so im forgetting to do things like not bend over and i just had a fantastic catch up with my bestie which means a laughed my head off and smiled from ear to ear, i had to leave ! Haha.. it wasnt uncomfortable or painful but i felt like i was pushing the limits for this early stage ? Was anyone else hesitant to stretch their smile too much, or anything else, out of fear of causing damage ?
how's recovery? Any more updated pics hun? xx
Doing a 2week update in a day or so :)
whens your revision

2 week update

So this week has been harder than the first ! Both my lil bubba and I have had a gastro bug for a whole week ! Definately hasnt helped with healing. The pressure in my nose from daily vomiting has caused some added tenderness as well as my daughter accidently bumping it 5 times now. Im worried that its going to cause long term damage or alter the final result. Being dehydrated and unable to keep anything down isnt helping with swelling or the remaining bruise under my eye which just doesnt seem to want to budge now, its fading sooooo slowly. Ive also broken out with acne which is the most depressing part of all, my skin is flaking a little too with some peeling on my nose but thats normal anyway. So not many pics just yet, i just cant be bothered right now. Might put more up in a week.
Hi Emma! How's it all going post-op? Any new photos? Would love to hear how you're going :)
Hey :) im 1month post today ! Hopefully I'll get around to taking some pics this week. Not much has changed, such a slow process ! Haha
Do you still have to sleep on your back for swelling?? Ugh - i HATE sleeping on my back :( when's your next check up with Peter? I think you should tell everyone you can't lift and get out of moving hehe!! But nose is looking really really natural - doesn't look swollen at all to me!!! Do you find it looks uneven when you eat salty foods or sleep a certain way or it's just part of the process?

1 month post op

Wow ! Its been one month already ! Its been ok. I have good days where it looks like things are improving and bad days where the swelling becomes worse and super uneven. Ive had quite a few knocks to the nose (unavoidable with an 18 month old) so my tip is a bit tender, although that might also be because most of the numbness has gone too but my bridge is getting less sore to touch each day. You can see in the pics that its quite asymmetric at the moment, i think so anyway, it annoys me but i know ive got a long way to go yet. Still havent put full makeup on as the skin on my nose is still peeling but its not noticable at all. I do find that the nights where i dont sleep as upright result in slightly worse swelling the next day. The incision sight is really swollen too (my fault)i havent been staying away from things like steak that take a lot of effort to chew, like you're suppose to. The disolvable stitches at the opening of my nostrils are annoying me because they pinch and hurt if i accidently brush over them while trying to clean or apply anything. Hurry up and disolve ! I did trim one a little but the other is tiny anyway. My nose has been running a little more than usual, which is normal, especially since we've been having really cold mornings. Im still bending and lifting heavy things which make the swelling worse. To add to things we're moving house in a couple of weeks but in the meantime we've moved one of my sisters, start moving my other sister next week and my mum has been moving too !!! Crazy crazy ! If ive forgotten anything I'll add it later. Yay for one month :)
Excited to see your 2 month photos :)
How's it all healing, Emma? Still changing shape? Are you still very happy? :)
I tried to leave a comment on your review and it wouldnt let me for some reason. Still pretty boring lol i'll be 2months postop on wednesday so im going to put some pics up then :)

2 months post op

So ! 2 months on and life is so different. I went out for the first time for dinner and a movie since having the surgery and ive got so much more confidence. Im not afraid that ppl will be staring at me everywhere i go anymore and i feel ppl treat me differently, better... Its still not the most perfect looking nose but its such a huge improvement and still has more improving to do as it heals. The few days after we went out it was noticabley swollen because i had a few drinks and salty popcorn, i need to drink more water (ive been a bit slack lately) also moving house hasnt helped, heavy lifting, running around and not always having a healthy meal but thats all done now, yay !. I had some dissolvable stitches that just werent going away on the entrance of my nostrils, they were really irritating and noticable, then i got a cold and the constant running of my nose dissolved them in no time. Thank god ! Haha I was a little afraid to blow my nose so i just started out gently and it was fine and i can blow it normally now. it still looks wide from the front but im not too worried. Seeing the Dr in about 6weeks, im excited to tell him how its all been so far and hear his opinion on the progress. The tip is still a bit numb but by now im used to it. The hairs in there feel like they're more sensitive, like one tiny bit of fluff irritates the hell out of me and the incision site gets a little itchy still. Cant think of much else, just wish i had done this sooner ! :)
I can't work out the realself days haha but how long did you have the cast on (including day of surgery) by the time you got your cast off? It's going to be 8 days tomorrow for me but I'm breaking out with hives where the tape is. I've had to put tissue underneath and it's relieved it but I just want it off now as my face is going to be covered in unsightly welts :( sooo itchy!!
Surgery was wednesday and cast came off the following tuesday, i think lol. 6days though. Funnily enough the first place i broke out was my chin, the only bit not covered by the cast ! Lol thats such a long time to have that horrible thing on ! I barely made it :/ ive never had hives so i cant imagine how terrible that must be :( not long now though, well done for coming so far ! :) hooray for reveal day !
I've had my surgery yay!! I know this is a stupid question, but was yours open surgery? He said mine would be open (during first consultation) but I'm pretty sure mine is closed- cannot see any cut at all?? X

Nearly 4 months

Not much to update, liking it more and more. Not so sensitive to alcohol and salt anymore only get slight swelling at the incision site now :) i dont know if ppl havent noticed or have and didnt want to say anything but i havent had any comments about it. Numbness of the tip has almost completely gone. Nostrils are uneven, i cant say if its swelling or not bit it doesnt worry me anyway. Still have to be careful wearing sunnies, if they sit too low they put pressure on the bridge and that spreads to my head.
How long until you washed your nose? So hard to cleanse around it!!
As soon as i got to a bathroom haha ! I just gently used a scrub :) it was fantastic
Omg I'm soooo swollen. Were you a day after cast removal? I look like I've been stung by a bee!!!!!