Active Fx Ruined my Skin

I have icepick scarring that I have been so self...

I have icepick scarring that I have been so self conscious of for years. I heard such rave reviews for Active Fx (with Deep fx for scars), so I had it done on Friday (Jan. 16) thinking that I would only have about 4 days downtime. I looked like an alien oompa loompa, and I'm not exaggerating. You literally can NOT leave your house for 5 full days.

Well, finally yesterday, day 5, I was able to put mineral makeup over my fresh raw skin to go get the kids from school, but I had to go home and wash it off and put Vaseline back on my face. Makeup cakes onto the skin that is shedding and doesn't look good. You certainly don't want anyone looking at you closeup.

The absolute WORST thing ever are these atomic ZITS FROM HELL. I am getting cystic acne above my lip all over my chin and surrounding areas of my nose, BADLY. I look like a freak and I still don't want to go out in public in addition to the fact that my face is still pinkish, needing makeup.

I got this procedure hoping I wouldn't need much makeup anymore, so much for that dream. If these huge pimples continue, I will end up with more scarring. My skin looked pretty decent before and I had my breakouts under control, but now they pop up randomly all over the place and there is nothing I can do about it but watch it happen helplessly. I am so mad that I wasted the money on this.

Only time will tell if it actually helped the scarring because they look pretty pronounced to me at this point. I'll add to this post later. It is day 6 today and I look like a zit faced freak, not little pimples, HUGE ones that you can't cover up. This realy sucks. I'm 39 years old and have to 'hide' my face from everyone.

You really need to weigh the pros and cons before doing this.

Mesos

they are the sweetest staff I have ever dealt with. I just love everyone there. They really care about you.

I had Active FX at Mesos Cosmetic Center in the Villages office and the first 4 days of healing was a tad annoying and ugly but thats the way laser skin resurfacing heals so I expected to go thru the process, with the valeline aquaphor stuff and wow!, the results are amazing. The good totally out weighs the bad. The staff was just great and attentive and my procedure was well worth the 4 day healing and process to make this procedure turn out well. I recommend this procedure and I recommend Mesos. I have seen other friends who have had Active and Deep FX Laser and all look atleast 10 years younger, no brown sun damage spots, no wrinkles and clear smooth skin after, all agree the 4 days after are a waiting game but worth it. so I know a horrible experience is an isolated one.
Whoa,what an experience how are you doing now hope things are better
Hi sirenchick- just wondering if you have an update since it's been over 6 months and now you should know what your final results are. I actually went to the same facility (Mesos) and totally agree about the staff- they are just super. As far as your comments are concerned, all of the issues you noted seem to be related to the temporary and normal changes that occur within the first few days following the procedure- just curious to see how things turned out in the end for you as I went to the same provider with such a positive outcome.
Have your doctor do a culture, you might have an MRSA infection...
I'd bet that the outbreaks are largely due to the Vaseline applied generously all over the face. I understand docs like it because it lets nothing in or out, so to speak, but that could be the problem. Ask your doctor about using a Non-Comedogenic lotion called Eucerin. Make sure to use the "Original" Eucerin formula, as it is the most protective, healing and soothing type while the other formulations can be burning and less-healing.
The key factor is transdermal elimination and you need a moist environment... I am not a doctor but from the studies I've read my opinion is the beam used to create the hole scatters and the tissue that is not destroyed is damaged,,,Not Good.....Damaged DNA causes aging skin cancer ect ... ASK YOUR DOCTOR...You want to make sure it repairs, not enough studies have been done on this so I wouldn’t do it again… Maybe Isolez or micro derm will help with the elimination and getting the damaged cells out or repaired…… Take lots of Vit C and B to help your body repair the damage ask your doc about B12 shot or prenatal vit..Just a thought can't hurt..Fast action is important so the cells left repair correctly.... My opinions are not medical only based on personal research to find help since my doctors didn't have a clue how to help me after my Fraxel so share with your doc if he is unreceptive go to another derm who doesn't offer fractional resurfacing to get unbiased opinion/help...Take the study and suggestions....They will be able to offer the most help based on medical facts and your skin type... But find a Doctor who is willing to at least explore the best option for you.. DNA damage can lead to cancer down the road..This is an undisputed medical fact...Good luck my heart goes out to you...I understand the frustration of not knowing what to do and my doctors didn't either.. So I wanted to offer some suggestions that you can be proactive on,,But discuss with a doctor You want to narrow it down to whats best for you and your skin type.... Don't wait if your doc is not helping go to another one...If you find it hard to get a fast appointment with a derm tell the receptionist you think you may have a burn or make an appointment for some Restylane or Botox... filler in lips only don't get it in your face you could have a reaction becouse you are healing... It's easier to get an appointment with a derm if you are calling for a Resty or botox appt..
Am sorry but you seem to be very inpatient. Stp the stress and try to get rest. If it looks like herpes than this is very alarming. Contact your doctor directly, you could have a herpes infection, as this is one of the side effects that can happen. Your docotr can help you with abtibiotics etc.
Herpes is a virus and can't be treated with antibiotics; because it's not a bacteria. Her Dr. should of asked prior to doing the laser, if she's known to having Herpes simplex I breakouts on or around her mouth? He should prescribed her Valtrex, even if she's never had any breaksouts. It's usually very routine for a dermatologist or P.S. to ask that question. This kind of breakout happens when the nerve endings are exposed where the virus lives(dormant) and is disrupted or is injured..etc. I would contact the doctor about this issue. Herpes breakouts like that will definitely scar. Wish you the best..
steff, herpes is a virus antibiotics dont work on viruses.
Try the vinager and water soaks a tablespoon vinager in warm water and KEEP it MOIST even with acne....as often as you can.. When not doing that the TNS recovery serum helped me..I put my face over a little steam to help absorbtion after I put it on....It's expensive but worth it....Any serum that has growth factors repairs DNA will be helpful Remergent,Estia ect you can read reviews at skincare rx...search by growth factors... Take mega vit c...Ask your doc if you can use Vit C and B on you face yet...Maybe a mild one anything you use is absorbed more could be a good thing or bad so ask your doc...Good luck aftercare is critical....Take the study I posted in another post to your doc and ask if a prescription growth factor will help...I know they exist for diabetic ulcers but I'm not a doc so ask his opinion..can't hurt to ask.... Good luck an know breakouts are common after any resurfacing ask you doc if you can get a VISIA pics it will show if you have bacteria on your face maybe a oral antibiotic prescription.. Gentle waves LED therapy may help see if your doc has it..Not sure but it can't hurt so its worth it.....
This is day 8 and I am noticing that the small amount of crows feet I had to begin with are even WORSE AND MUCH DEEPER than they were before (WHEN I SMILE). I don't know when my face will stop being 'pink' to the point of needing a ton of makeup to look normal. That, in addition to the AWFUL zits that surround my mouth making me look like I have herpes!! I am SOOOOOO angry I had this procedure done. I didn't even need it. My skin looked really good before, even the doctor said I had really nice skin, (THEN WHY DID HE WANT TO DO TOTAL FX ON ME? - HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME THAT I DIDN'T NEED IT, IT WOULDN'T HELP THE SCARS TOO MUCH.) I only had a few acne scars in a few spots, which, by the way, look exactly the same, maybe a little worse because I have a huge pimple forming right on top of a scar, drawing more attention to it. If you're skin is already clear, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Obagi Nu Derm products works so much better than any laser costing only a fraction of the price.
Its common to get a breakout...Please keep us updated on the results..