Active FX Resurfacing -- Those "Not-so-fine" Lines -- GONE!

This is the fourth day after my Active FX Laser...

This is the fourth day after my Active FX Laser resurfacing procedure (full face -- $2165 -- with a complimentary touch-up to follow). At 59, I looked in the mirror this morning and thought, "Wow, my skin looks like it did in High School!" Tight, firm, rosy. Where are those bothersome Crow's feet? Gone. The lines about the lips? Gone. Hiding out for three days of social downtime was tedious and with Halloween coming, I felt ready with my "mask" of little, brown dots (residue from a summer suntan). On the fourth day, however, the dead outer layer sloughed off in the shower, with a little help from a gentle enzyme peel. My doctor gave me a great post-healing copper cream with a vaseline-like texture, designed to retain moisture as new collagen and cells formed underneath the crust. Tomorrow, on the fifth day, I will use my regular moisturizers (Aloette) and maybe a touch of silicone based foundation. (I use Dermacia, which allows the skin to breathe, is very sheer, yet gives amazing coverage.) Don't get caught up in the "which is better debate -- Active FX or Fraxel." Reps from both side have information to share. Do your homework, and most importantly, don't be scared into inaction by one or two negative stories. Some people have issues to work out, no matter what! As for me, I am happy growing new, fresh, healthy, young-looking skin, and they say it just gets better and better as more firming collagen forms over time. (I also supplement my diet with a high quality collagen/hyaluronic/Omega-3 fish oil product for better skin from within).

Active FX uses fractionated CO2 laser energy, so I'm pretty sure we had the same procedure. I don't remember being concerned about red & white blotchy spots. The redness is our own bodies response to the heat applied. It's that inflammatory "response" that actually allows the collagen to form, heal and repair the treated area. Redness isn't such a bad thing. Have you ever scratched yourself and noticed a rim of redness around the scratch? Our bodies innate intelligence sends an increased blood supply to that area, bringing nutrients and antibodies for regeneration. The Creator thought of everything! I think your overall tone will blend nicely together when this stage passes. It's not so much a pigment issue as it is a normal response to the heat application of the laser. It is just the catalyst we want to stimulate new cell growth. The first time is always a concern, because it's something we haven't done before, and we just don't know what is normal and what isn't, but I think you're going to be just fine.
Thank you so much!!! We should meet for lunch some day after I am healed. I would luv to meet you. I live in Garden Park in South Jordan ( a retirement community). I guess I have already said that I am 63 and I think you are 65. I can tell you this, "I am not going to look 45."
Oh, I don't know if I look 42 or not. Maybe my friend was just "blowing smoke up my skirt," when he told me that. . Good idea to meet for lunch sometime when you're ready. I have some anti-aging ideas and practices I can share with you. Something must be working because I feel pretty darn good for 65. (Doesn't seem like my number, but I guess I better own it.). Take care.
I will let you know when I am ready and we can plan something. I am thinking i will probably have to have lines around mouth and eyes done again. I hope he offers me your deal. I hope to see you soon and I am so glad I met you on here.
Hi, I hope I am not pestering you to death! Today is day 5 and I am still so red. I am very red in some spots and normal skin color in others. I don't think by Monday this red is going to be gone (Monday will be day 7). How long before my skin evens out and the red goes away? Were you like this? Thanks so much. You have been so very helpful. Oh you mentioned something I want to ask you about. I use organic coconut oil as a moisturizer. Could I use that at this point instead of that barrier cream. That barrier cream makes me itch.
I don't recall being too worried about the more red areas. Some parts of the face respond to the laser heat in different ways, depending on thickness, and in time the inflammation will reduce as new cells form and come to the surface. You're only on day 5 and I think you're doing great. I started using the coconut cream when I ran out of the barrier cream and all the dead skin had sloughed off. The itchiness is actually a good sign, in that it shows your skin Is actively regenerating new cells, making collagen and forming new nerve pathways. Just let it "churn away," but resist scratching with your fingers. All that will pass too. I think by Monday, you'll be over the hump and confident that it will get even better in week 2. My issue after 7 days was that my friend noticed I was still a bit puffy, and I thought that part had already passed. So it is a gradual process and patience is the key. Day 5. Wow. You're doing great!
Thank you. You are such a sweet lady. I appreciate all your help. I had quite a bit of anxiety about getting this procedure from the horror stories you see about scarring or pigment problems. So I am having a lot of anxiety now. I was expecting to be all even skin colored by day 7 from so many of the photos on here during the process. I am really looking forward to seeing the doctor on Monday. I am also getting sick of staying in the house and I really am quite unsightly. My daughter got tickets for the Sundance Film Festival for tomorrow evening and I don't think I can go looking like this without a lot of stares. I am thinking I have another week in the house. Thanks again for everything. I will let you know how things go.
How are you feeling today? Have you decided to go to Sundance? You probably don't look as bad as you think you do. Truth is most people are so caught up in their own game to notice the details. It's nothing a little liquid foundation and powder can't fix. When I went to the gym the first time out, I was sure people were wondering "what's with the pink-faced lady." I ducked my head and went anyway. It probably would do you good to get out on a beautiful day like today with your daughter and enjoy the sights and sounds of Sundance. Cabin fever got to me too. Wishing you the best.
Hi, Yes I did go and we went out to dinner and had a wonderful evening. I put some mineral powder on (my mineral powder gives good coverage) and I looked pretty darn good. I met with Dr. Jepson today for my consultation and he said I am healing nicely. I did not wear any makeup but lipstick and I wore the suncreen he provided me with. I wanted him to be able to see my skin. I am still red in some places. He said I am healing nicely and to keep my skin moisturized because that procedure really dehydrates your skin. I use organic coconut oil. He said to be sure and wear sunscreen every day over the moisturizer. In three weeks i go for a microdermabrassion to remove any dead skin that remains. He said collagen will form for the next several months. I am very optimistic. I could probably meet you over the weekend ...what do you think?
I'm so glad things are looking up for you and that you were able to enjoy Sundance. I, too, went back to Dr. j without any make-up so we could have a fair comparison. I'm Interested in the mineral powder you use that gives good coverage. Maybe we can talk about that and other things over lunch on Saturday. Do you have a favorite place somewhere? Let me know and I will meet you there ----- 12:30? Two Wrinkle Warriors sharing notes!
OK, Is there a way I can private message you. I will give you my email address. I don't know where you live but I live in South Jordan. To be fair I don't want you to have to drive all the way to South Jordan if you live Downtown. We could meet somewhere in the middle. I like all kinds of food so really any place is cool with me. What do you feel like? I want to email you my photos. Do you know how I can private message you my email address.
How about the Saffron Valley Indian Restaurant in South Jordan? Look up SaffronValley.com. Location info is all there. I'll just meet you there at 12:30 Saturday, because I don't know how to get around that "private contact info" issue either. Saffron Valley has won many awards. Awesome food.
I love Indian food. That will be wonderful. I will see you at 12:30 Saturday. I am looking forward to it.
Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow at 12:30 at the Saffron Valley Indian Restaurant.
Yes, tomorrow is our day. (I'll be there with a little "war paint" on.) How are you doing almost two weeks out?
I am pretty well all healed and peeled. Today is my best day so far and with a little makeup on I look pretty good. I can still see the lines I wanted eradicated...LMAO!!!! Dr. Jepson says they will get better and I do have a free treatment in 6 months. He had told me they would not be completely gone. Are your lines completely gone? I may be wanting to much at 63. I do think my skin looks better. Really excited to meet you!!!
Glad to hear you healed well!!
Thank you so much!!! Very kind of you.
...
Exactly which procedure did you use, fraxel or urbium? I'm very confused which one to do, as it as both have been suggested to me. HELP CONFUSED!
Did u ever go to dr. jepson ....if so....what were your results?
I had fraxel. To be specific I had fractionated CO2 Laser.
Thank you. I am getting Active FX on mouth and chin - by a Michigan dermatologist (specializing in cosmetic and laser). (It is also called "Total Effects) Will let you know results. This website has helped me make informed decisions. Thanks again.
Did you have your procedure done? How did it turn out?
Sounds great! I'm looking to get this done and am looking for a good dr in Utah. Who did your procedure? Thank you!