Accutane is one of the best decisions I've made - Seattle, WA

When I was 12 or 13 I started to get deep cystic...

When I was 12 or 13 I started to get deep cystic acne on my back. It was horribly embarrassing, especially for a teenager. If I had to expose my back (tank tops or swimsuits), I would do my best to cover it with concealer or wear my long hair down.

I tried every OTC topical treatment, body wash, etc. I used Proactive (body wash and spot treatment) to no avail. At 18 my derm finally suggested Accutane as a last resort.

My mom was very worried about the side affects, but let me do it anyway. I was double insured through my parents so I don't recall it costing anything.

Accutane was 100% effective for me. It started working within a month.

The only downside for me was the skin peeling. It started with my face... sometimes l felt like Goldmember in the third Austin Powers movie (he peels off his skin for fun---so gross!). In the last few months of treatment, my hands and feet started to peel too. It was BIZARRE.

I used Accutane for 9 months, and within a month after stopping my skin started to go back to normal (not peeling).

I haven't had any acne on my back since (I'm now 24). Though I never had terrible acne on my face, the Accutane made a difference with the little that was there. Now I only get a big pimple every couple of months.

For reference, I was a young, otherwise healthy girl, so that could be part of why I had few side affects.

I highly recommend Accutane. The confidence I've felt since was WELL worth the few months of dry skin issues. I've since discovered I look great in a halter top!

If you do use it, opt for Aquaphor as your nighttime moisturizer when the peeling gets bad. I wish I'd discovered that sooner.

Kirkland Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. Lisa Miner and Dr. Julie Voss helped me make informed decisions throughout my entire process of dealing with bad back acne. They are caring, professional, and really take into consideration what an individual patient needs.

I hate acne!!! Please read my review! An comment!