A Little Bruising is Worth the Long-lasting Results

I’ve done a lot over the years to reduce...

I’ve done a lot over the years to reduce fine lines, and when I heard how long Juvederm was supposed to last, I was very intrigued. I’ve used Hylaform previously to fill the lines on my face and also once to fill out my upper lip, but it only lasted a few weeks. I had also thought of trying Restylane, but put it off because of different testimonials I’d read on the Internet (some people liked it, some didn’t). But given the way people raved about Juvederm, I thought it was worth trying.

My results with Juvederm are definitely more pronounced, but I’m not sure how happy I am just yet. My lips are definitely much fuller – both fuller than normal and fuller than other lip fillers – and my fine lines are barely noticeable now too. But the bruising on my lips is extreme, especially for something that is called a “lunch hour” procedure! Also, I think there’s a fair amount of swelling that keeps me from accurately judging the results. My hope is that this isn’t the final look and that my doctor is right (she says the side effects will fade completely within the week).

I think in the end my satisfaction will depend on how long Juvederm lasts; if I have to explain to people that, “No, I wasn’t in a fight…” then the results will have to last a while to be worth it. I am frightened of the current state but am also very confident based on the reports I’ve read from other people who’ve tried Juvederm. This is supposed to be the best yet, fingers crossed!

I see so many posts about ppl being unhappy with their duckface a day of 2 after injections. But I'd love an update. How was it after a week? Was the duckface gone?
FYI.....bruising is so common..but should not be extreme if the MD is a real professional..I would recommend a plastic surgeon only! Don't take advil 2 days prior..you'll possibly bleed and bruise more...For lips...ONLY Juvederm..and LINE your lips..don't inject right in to them..avoid that overdone "duck" look!

I had juvederm to raise the corners of my mouth and it was not painful. The RN use a topical and used small drops to contour my mouth and small creases called smile lines. NOT painful, only one small bruise (size of a pencil eraser)..Bruising goes away...in three weeks the result will be worth the $$$$$$$$$ and last for over a year. Need to go to someone that really cares to insure you get the results you want. Get a consult first. Don't panic swelling/bruising clears up...also there is some laser that can rid you of bruising. At my spa it was $30.00 for a treatment.

Where did you go? Can I know the name?????

Reading all this has so cheered me up - I was sitting here at midnight too depressed to sleep with my new 1/2 moustache, blood filled top lip and black lipliner bruising all around my lips, not to mention the swelling and discomfort. Also a strange lump in my inner lower lip. I had botox on my face a couple of days ago and was so excited and happy with the results that in my enthusiasm allowed the nurse to convince me that juvederm in my lips would be the perfect finishing touch. As I was going away with hubby for a romantic break this week I read the glossy brochure and decided this procedure would be great, seeing as normal activities could resume immediately after. Instead I'm going to be hiding for a week after having to face all my colleagues today - I'm wondering whether a muttered story of the metal hose end swinging up and hitting me in the mouth or just out with the truth is best (just as embarrassing as I work with a lot of people and the speculation and goss will spread like wildfire) I did attempt concealer and makeup today but doesn't really cut it, the bruising is so dark and obvious. My husband laughs hysterically everytime he looks at me. Now because of these reviews I'm laughing too and no longer feel like I'm the only one this has happened to. I was feeling so alone and worried, so I'm glad I googled and found these reviews. I do think its very bad practice not to be warned that this is quite common, I really didn't expect the excruciating pain and embarrassing after bruising. I was handed ice cubes in a bag and told to hold it on the bruising while I drove home, after paying so much you would think for good PR they could at least sit you down for 20 minutes with an icepack or throw in a decent concealer product. Maybe they just wanted me out of there before any other clients saw my results. I would not have done it if I had known and would never recommend this procedure. I know I should have researched and read all the fine print on the contract more thoroughly but it would be nice to be able to trust the professionals to ensure that the risks are understood. Love the botox on the rest of my face though so its not all bad.

I just had Juvederm Ultra placed in my lips and I look like a duck. One side is very bruised and much more swollen than the other. I don't know if that's the swelling or actual product placement. I am so embarrassed. I look like I've been hit in the mouth with a baseball literally! I'm taking Arnica by mouth and also using a topical gel. If it looks this bad now I can't imagine what it'll look like in a couple of days. Also- I wonder if hyaluronidase will bruise it all over again if I need to use it. UGH!!!! Btw- I had it placed in my chin too and my chin looks great- hardly any bruising at all and filled it in beautifully. I will NEVER use it in my lips again.... EVER. I look like Octo-Mom. :-(

Had juvederm injections around upper lip to fill in deep vertical wrinkles. It looked like I smoke but I don't. Also had some below the corners if my mouth where I had "dents." It looked pretty good right afterward but the bruising showed up in full force by day 2. Very dark purple for a couple of days, the green/yellow for several more. I had to buy yellow concealer for about 5 - 7 days, but I am happy with the results. I hated those deep lines around the mouth. Now I need some in my lower lip to balance it out with the upper lip. I'm Just worried about the bruising since I can't take any more time off from work. My dr. is very skilled and trains others. He warned me about the bruising but said it shouldn't be very bad with my upper lip I can just use lipstick to cover it up. I hope so, I have to face 200 staff and 3000 students everyday!_ doctor said I can do it on a friday should be fine by monday. I'll let you know!

I've had juvaderm in my lips and marionette lines a few times now, but just had it done again on Friday (today is Sunday) by my usual doctor and the bruising is incredibly severe. It was never like this before (only tiny bruised pin-pricks before). I have a black spot the size of a dime above my lip that I can't conceal (tried orange lipstick, color corrector and 3 pots of concealer, one of which is a tattoo concealer!!), and dark blue and purple bruising the entire length of one of the marionette lines. I am a bit panicked because I have to go to work tomorrow and have no idea how I'm going to explain this. I took Arnica for 48 hours prior to the Juvaderm (my usual routine)and am still taking it. I've used ice packs and arnica cream all weekend as well. I do think people should be warned about the potential for severe bruising. It's a real problem if you have to be around people, go to work etc.
Yesterday I had Juvederm injections for deep folds along the sides of my nose and mouth. I'm very, very happy with the results today. There is a good amount of dark purple bruising especially on one side, but I can cover it with make up. By the end of the day, I noticed it was starting to show through. The area is sore if I touch it and there are some hard lumpy feeling spots. Still, I'd do it again. It looks great and I expect the bruising and soreness to go away. I expected it to be very painful, but it wasn't for me. I also had my spider veins in my legs treated and that was extremely painful. The doc said he'd do that first so the Juvederm would feel like nothing! Will do it again, was worth the $895 for two vials!!
I don't know whether it's worth the hassle. I got juvederm filler on my upper and lower lips yesterday. I took half a day off on Friday for the procedure, thought of linking it to the weekend so that I get back to the office looking normal on Monday. Today's Saturday and my lips are swollen and blueish. I cannot look at myself in the mirror my lower lip makes me look like a clown. My stupid esthetically certified dermatologist stabbed me with 16 needle injections of anesthetic before injecting the fillers. The product she used--bought those newly from France she mentioned--wouldn't numb the skin properly so she kept on going. She then injected my upper lip with 25% juverderm and the lower lip with 50% of the amount in the needle. I look like an unhappy clown from the front and a duckfish from the profile. My jaws and chin are swollen as well and so are my upper cheeks. Those are the results after 27 hours. I will update you guys about my condition in two days see how things will evolve. If the symptopms persist, and I still look ravaged I'm gonna as Dr. May to reverse the Juvederm procedure with Vitrase or Widase.
Juvederm is the best! Secret is- don't get it in the lips, instead go around the lips. This way you don't look like a famous movie star that I won't mention. This way lines around your mouth are filled in and the lips naturally look fuller. At age 58 this is the best way to do it!
I had Juvederm for the first time on Monday (3 days ago). This was my first filler experience ever. I had it injected in my laugh lines and my lips. The doc did a dental block (i.e. shots of lidocaine) beforehand which I DEFINITELY recommend. These shots hurt WAY less than the numbing shots you get in the dentist's office, and it made the lip injections a breeze. When my doc decided she needed to do a little injecting in my bottom lip (where there was no dental block), it was pretty darn painful. I have a high pain tolerance, though, so no tears or anything. So as for the after effect....the laugh lines look nice and smooth. Not drastic but enough to make a difference to me. I have a tiny bruise in one spot in the laugh line area but not too big of a deal. As for the lips, totally different story. They are SOOOOO bruised. The swelling and 'duck-like' look is way better today (day #3), but the bruising of course is still there. I even have a really significant bruise above one corner of my upper lip. I am able to hide the bruising with heavy concealer and berry colored lipstick, but I will have to wait and see my final lip results to determine whether or not it is worth it. I definitely did not take any anti-inflammatories so be warned. If you don't have a problem wearing a deeper shade of lipstick for a while, you will be fine. Judging by how my lips look on day 3, I think it might be worth it. I only had very little put in my lips, but it was enough to make me feel good.
I also was never told of severe bruising. I had the marionette lines on corners of mouth done and came out with horrible bruises. It's been 4 days and still don't want to go out of the house. How can they call this a simple lunchtime procedure? Will not do it again.
I had Juvederm injected into my lips on Monday. It was PAINFUL and still too early to tell if it is worth it. First, the doctor injected novacaine into the tops of my gums which numbed me from my nose to my chin. After a few mins, he injected lidocaine into the lips which hurt a lot...2 shots on top & 2 on bottom. Then came the Juvederm. He injected 4 times on the top and bottom, and each time he would jiggle the needle side to side. I had tears flowing out of both of my eyes, my heart rate increased and my breathing sped up quite a bit. I wish he had told me ahead of time what to expect. He and his nurse were asking how I was doing after each injection, but I still had NO CLUE it was going to hurt that much, even after the novacaine. After the procedure, I immediately iced my lips for the rest of the night (about 5 hours). All night, my lips were ducklike and swollen but no bruising. DAY TWO: less swelling, still ducky looking and some bruising on inside of lips. I took the day off from work just to avoid strange looks. DAY THREE and FOUR: no more duckiness but bruises on the front of my lips: purple and blotchy and some bruising on the upper right over my lip. The inside of my upper and lower lips feel lumpy. It is hard to say right now what the final outcome will be, but if I do this again, I am DEFINITELY taking the week off from work. I am also going to tell my doctor that he should have been more informative as to what to expect. I did ask questions prior, but he TOTALLY could have given me a better idea. Maybe he thinks he will scare customers away if he tells them what the procedure entails??? who knows.
I had juvaderm in my tear troughs 3 weeks ago and my left eye is still black. I am calling the doctor and having her take a look at it I am worrded. I have already been in once to have laser done but it did not help.
had juvaderm 5 days ago, around nasolabial folds and upper lip, painful , lumpy, severe bruises totally unaccepable
I just had juvederm done I have bruises as well. I wasn't told that I would have them. I have a very public job that I have to be there, I have no downtime to turn to. I guess I will tons of makeup to cover up the bruises and hope no one notices. Also I want to say that for the money, I don't see all that much improvement. But most of all the procedure hurt like HELL. I likened it to having a root canal at the dds. I could have bought tons of oil of olay, etc. products with the money I spent. We'll see if I see any improvement over the next few weeks and I will report in to the forum.
i just had juvederm today and half of my top lip is black and blue and extremely swollen. i was told it will go down in 3-4 days, but right now i feel like octo-mom. i look like i got punched in the mouth! other than that, the rest of my lips look great. id do it again...
Just had Juvederm injection into my lips yesterday...one syringe for both top and bottom....I look hideous.. My lips are bruised...and swollen...i wonder how long this swelling/bruising will last. I look like a duck.. Also above my top lip looks full too..so I look like half duck half ape.
OMG I laughed out loud at your half ape, half duck comment. That's exactly how I felt the day after juvederme, which was yesterday. I have bruising on one side of my mouth, on the lip, above the lip and below the lip. No bruising on the other side. I look like I have a moustache, well half a moustache as the bruising above the lip is black! No possitive comments from anyone. Just keep being told I look klike I've been punched in the mouth. However. I'm no stranger to cosmetic surgery and botox and I can see past the swelling and bruising and know that in a week it will look fantastic. Not liking the bruising but partly my fault I think because I do take vit E daily. Next time I'll stop before the juvederme.
I had mine done 3 days ago and feel the exact same way and with my job I had to go to work. I am so embarrassed and my fiance hates it and says I look deformed. I am curious are yours better now? I called the doctor and told them I wanted to have it dissolved and they told me I had to wait 3 to 4 weeks. I am sick to my stomach!I had 2 syringes.I really look like I have a duck bill. Everyone says the swelling should only last 3 to 4 days except the doctor says it can be weeks. I don't know what to believe....ugh HELP
6331anon described my current look - half a moustache! I'm counting on your past successes that I too will be able to look at myself in a different light in a few days. This is my first time with Botox and fillers. I too got the 'are you a victim of domestic violence' comment today. LOL! I didn't know beforehand that you needed to stop aspirin, Vitamin E and the like. BTW - the bruising happened on the side that they mixed lydicane into the solution (I was having a lot of pain on the first side done - even with the numbing cream) - who knew that the reduced pain would increase the bruising. Don't get it...

There are so many things that add to the bruising. You may be your own worst enemy when it comes to that just by doing what is considered healthy.  Some of the bruise-buddies you can have in your pocket and not know it are : aspirin, any of the anti-inflammatories that contain ibuprofen, st. john's wort, vitamin e, flax seed oil, omega 3. Having alcoholic drinks the day or even within the week for some people adds to the bruising potential. It's always a good idea to talk to your doctor before you have any injections and ask what you should avoid.

Ice immediately after an injection will help, as will immediate pressure at the injection entry site.

I agree with you on the Restylane use in your lips. The swelling from Restylane is pretty pronounced in the lips

When getting your lips done, it's always a better choice to select under-fill to overfill. You can always add more, but reducing huge lips can be a real task and sometimes you're just stuck living with them until the product degrades.

don't do this. i spent 1,200.00 and half of my face is black and blue.someone actually thought i had been beaten up.i should not have had this happen ,the doctor was showing another doctor her technique during my procedure and who knows what happened to my face. i was better before.the slight improvement is so not worth this mess. good luck. take my advice and stay away from this. very unhappy in chevy chase, maryland
Had my lips done with juvederm (very small lips). Only 1cc, swelled alot, hated it. Then in 3-5 days looked great. had dental block, which hurt too! But was able to finish injections unlike before with Restaylne. This Doc inserted beneath the lip, not around the mouth. Think that made a diffenrence. No bruising at all. Lips still have went down more than I would have liked, may get another half cc. Just look a little fuller and fresher. Had lines in chin done yesterday. Hurt bad. The middle of my chin looks good (I think). Side is bruised pretty bad. Will see true results in 5 days I'm thinking. Hoping for the best. Next time will get dental block, and have lips, chin and folds all done at the same time. Do not like any thing over done, so I just do a little at a time, and consider maintence!