Upper Ab Pain 8 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck Procedure

After having four children I had a great deal of...

After having four children I had a great deal of loose skin on my stomach as well as an umbilical hernia and separated stomach muscles. I chose to have a tummy tuck, breast augmentation and lift to fix the affects of child bearing and four years of nursing.

My upper abs stick out farther than ever before and hurt a great deal now.

What can I do to reduce the pain and tightness in my upper abs? It is 8 weeks post op. Something hard runs down from between my rib cage to my belly button resulting in pain and restriction of movement.

He was kind and skilled in my opinion.

Thank you for posting this. Even though it's more than a year later, the information posted was helpful to me.
Hi, I was just wondering if you are doing ok now? I had an extended tummy tuck done 3 weeks ago and I'm still experiencing a tremendous amount of pain under my rib cage and the area between my ribs and belly button. It really hurts to get in a chair...out of a chair....lay down...turn over....anything that require those upper abdominal muscles becomes extremely painful at times, even with the pain meds I've been taking. Just wondering when this upper abdomen pain will begin to subside a bit.
It's now 10 months post-op and I have no pain anymore. It has been a while as well. Hang in there. I know the pain sucks but it won't last forever. Something I did that helped was massage down the centre across the scar tissue. I don't think I would start that until atleast 6 weeks post-op though. I don't know that for sure; it's just a guess that you should wait until it's all more healed. Good luck.

Some tightness after tummy tuck can be normal (I'm assuming you had muscle repair?). This related Doctor Q&A page explains a bit further: Is tightness post-Tummy Tuck normal?

When is your next follow-up?

Thank you. I did have the muscle repaired and I'm guessing that I have scar tissue running down the centre contributing to the pain. I actually don't have a follow up because I had the procedure done in Utah but I live in Canada. I emailed the PS but haven't heard anything back yet.