Very Anxious After Many Years of Having a Saggy Tummy (Tummy Tuck and Hip/flanks Lipo)

I decided, after many years of having a sagging...

I decided, after many years of having a sagging tummy,to have a tummy tuck and liposuction of the hips and flanks. I was very anxious about the surgery and about what the outcome will be. I put my anxieties to the side and went ahead with the procedures.

Now, 6 days post op, I am a little disappointed about the appearance of my abdomen. It is still bigger than what I expected to be, and has an appearance of an overhang as well. The doctor says that I'm still very swollen because they liposuctioned a lot from my midsection, but I am worried that my abdomen will continue to look like this in the future. I went into debt for this surgery and really expected a better outcome.

I am still swollen 8 wks. after my tummy tuck. At...

Is it too early to judge the appearance of my tummy tuck? Could it be that I am just very swollen and over reacting? Please help me! -- Updated on Oct 24, 2009: I am still swollen 8 wks. after my tummy tuck. At least, I think it's swelling. My stomach just looks fat to me. I have seen a big improvement as opposed to before, but my stomach is NOT flat at all. could it be because am overweight? I am 5'2", 186 lbs. My surgeon said that I didn't need to wait to lose the weight before I had the surgery, but I'm starting to think that this issue is effecting my result. I am trying to lose weight now and have lost 6 lbs. since my surgery. Can I expect my stomach to get flatter as I lose weight or should I get abdominal lipo to achieve the result that I want?

I believe that he is experienced in cosmetic procedures.

Hey Newbelly, I just went through the same (Full TT with lipo on hips and flanks) I am 6 weeks post now. The first 2 weeks I went through the same thoughts as you, wondering if it is ever going to feel like it was worth it. IT IS KIND OF A BRIEF DEPRESSION! But the swelling is very normal! I still have one of my drains in which is driving me crazy but I get to see my Doc almost weekly and he tells me everything is looking great. The swelling has went down a LOT since my second week post surgery. So hang tuff and give it time your gonna look great!
Thank you so much. I am now two weeks post op and the swelling is coming down very slowly but surely. Thank you so much for all the encouragement. Now that I look back, I really do think I had a bout of depression. Thanks again!

Hi Newbelly,

A few other RealSelfers have had similar experiences. Here are their questions:

Is pouched-look after Tummy Tuck swelling?

How long does Tummy tuck surgery swelling last?

Since you're only six days in, it sounds like you're experiencing swelling rather than the final result.

Hang in there and good luck with your recovery!

Thank you. I think I'll stop freaking out now!