Major Tummy Tuck W/ Liposuction - Stitches Ripped After Surgery--Open Wound HELP!!!

I did it because I lost weight and had loose skin....

I did it because I lost weight and had loose skin. I am still a "larger" woman but I wanted to try to get a flatter stomach.

I had my major tummy tuck with liposuction on 10/22/09 without a drain. I had no problems at first, but developed a bacterial infection about a week after. Because of the swelling associated with the infection, my stitches have ripped open. I now have a 4-5 inch opening below my belly button. It is also very deep and wide. I currently have it packed once or twice a day. I took my last Levaquin today (I had a 7 day prescrition). They told me that I will have to let it heal from the inside out. Therefore I will have a large open wound for a while.

How long does this normally take to heal? What can I do to help this heal correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

My tummy tuck was worth it and I LOVE my Dr. and...

My tummy tuck was worth it and I LOVE my Dr. and would refer him over and over again. He did such a great job. I had some trouble with my thyroid (unrelated) and gained some weight back. I'm working hard to get it off now and hope to have that off before summer. I would tell anyone who is thinking about it, it is well worth it-even with the trouble I had.

Dr Paul Benien Jr

Dr and his staff have been wonderful throughout this experience.

***UPDATE*** My open wound is closing quite well. By the end of this week or the beginning of next, I think it will be completely closed. I still am totally numb under my belly button and it is hard. Hoping that will go away in time. Go back to see my PS a week from today. Hoping for the best. Pictures are downloaded to computer, I just haven't had a chance to post them.
Hello You have skin necrosis, and infection levequin is good if the cultures show the bacteria to be sensitive. The wound need to be debrided and let it heal on its own. it will take atleast 6 weeks. Using wound vac may make the process faster. Most important is to control the infection. six months after wound healing can consider scar revision
I truly believe that without drains was good. Had I not gotten an infection and possibly waited to go back to work (even though I am an accountant), everything would have been fine. I took off 10 days total, including weekends. The open wound is healing...but very slowly. I am on another round of antibiotics. Cipro this time. Don't worry about the drains, but I would suggest getting a cheap shower curtain to put under your (old) sheets on your bed. I did drain alot and it did occasionally leak thru my maxi-pads taped on my openings. Other than the open wound, the other part of my incision is healing quite well. I think it will be alot less noticable than I thought it would be. 4 weeks out today and I am still not sure if I did the right thing. I wish you the best on your surgery. I will try to post pictures when my husband puts them on my computer.
I am planning a tuck and am excited about it. I wanted to comment on the stitch ripping - I had 3 c-sections and had ripped stitches with the 3rd. I was told it was b/c I exerted myself too soon (which is prob the case b/c I felt pretty good after the last one) My PS also doesnt use drains - now I am nervous!
GET THE DRAINS. Especially if you are a larger person to begin with.
The same thing happen to me three weeks after my surgery. The reason the doctor gave was because I had my draining tubes taken out too early and fluid was still accumalating and needed to come out. It found a place to drain through my inscion. slowly my inscion open 4 in (and deep). I can't imagin not having the draining tubes at all. Another thing that helps is having your binder on as tight as you can tolerate. Doing so allows your skin to attach back to the muscal or at least thats what my doctor told me. I had my surgery 9/22/09 and still have two areas along my insicion that will not heal. One is the size of a quarter and the other a nickel. I've been told Im healing from the inside out but it still looks to raw. Please don't get me wrong. I love my results. I can't say my doctor did anything wrong because everyone heals differant. keep me posted on your end result! best wishes!