Tattoo Removal Has Left Skin Color Changes

I didn't want a tattoo on my arm anymore. For the...

I didn't want a tattoo on my arm anymore. For the most part I am very satisfied except for this odd color changes that happen.

I started having laser tattoo removal treatment on a tattoo on my arm. I am probably only a few treatments away from being done, but haven't gone back in almost 2 years because I got pregnant and have now just been focused on the baby. Even 2 years later, the area that was treated sometimes gets red or darker in color, especially after being in the sun or just when my body heat rises.

2 years later, the area that was treated for a tattoo sometimes gets red or darker in color, especially after being in the sun or just when my body heat rises. What causes this and will it go away?

May I ask where did you go for your treatment in NH and which Doctor did you have?

Laser treatments of all kinds, including tattoo removal, leaves the treated area sensitive to UV exposure. Therefore, we teach our patients that it is imperative to protect the treated area from direct sun exposure while in the healing phase as well as diligent sunscreen use thereafter. If you have redness or darkening even without sun exposure, you have have what is referred to as "post inflammatory hyperpigmentation" which may be treated with lasers as well if it has not resolved after this much time. In any event, I would encourage you to continue with sun screen to this area because of the continued reaction. Lori Haney, RN, MEP-C Certified Medical Laser Safety Officer