Sneezing After Rhinoplasty

Hi,It is currently my 10th post-op day, having had...

Hi,

It is currently my 10th post-op day, having had a rhinoplasty. I know I am not supposed to sneeze through my nose, but, while I've done my best sneezing through my mouth, I accidentally let one go through the nose.

From what I've read, I know it's not going to affect the external aesthetic shape of my nose. However, will this exacerbate my scars inside of the nose and cause destruction to the internal environment? Or, instead of increase scarring, does it simply just increase swelling, a relatively innocuous matter that is not permanent?

Similarly, how long after a nose job can the patient sneeze through his nose? I find it too hard to sneeze through my mouth forever!

Thank you very much for any of your help!

Will sneezing exacerbate my scars inside of the nose and cause destruction to the internal environment? Or, instead of increase scarring, does it simply just increase swelling, a relatively innocuous matter that is not permanent? Similarly, how long after a nose job can the patient sneeze through his nose?

Hi there, Sneezing after rhinoplasty is always a tricky issue. It depends on a number of factors, including whether or not you have packing. In general, I recommend that my patients avoid sneezing with their mouth closed for the first 3 weeks after surgery. While sneezing through an open mouth may seem disgusting, it decreases the pressure in your nose and reduces any chance that you will cause injury via swelling or via turbulent and forceful air flow. If you have regularly scheduled visits with your surgeon, he or she can examine inside your nose now that you have sneezed through your nose and see if you are in danger of forming scar tissue which can obstruct your nasal passages. There are also techniques available to remove the scar tissue and methods to prevent additional scar from forming in the nasal passages. Regular follow up with your doctor is key to assuring you have a safe and aesthetic outcome.
Thanks for your response Tom, I read it, but I'd also like to know when sneezing through the nose is safe, and, when it isn't, the full extent of the damage done.

P.A. - you should check out surgeon responses to:

Worried about nose movement after Rhinoplasty
is question posted?