Fraxel Repair Disaster on Face and Neck

I had Fraxel Repair procedure done 13 days ago. I...

I had Fraxel Repair procedure done 13 days ago. I have just turned 40. Before the procedure I had a soft, beautiful, smooth, flawless skin. No scar, no acne, no acne spots/scars, no discoloration, redness, or any other possible flaws; only an extremely mild case of wrinkles which I've been treating for the past 6 or more years with Botox and lately have included fillers in the treatment.

Right after I turned 40, I thought about various facelift options but did not really intend to go with any of them, since I do not believe in the idea of having scars near my ears; however, it is nice to have a define Jowl lines again although mine were relatively ok.

My doctor suggested Fraxel repair on my neck and face. I have never regretted anything in my entire life. Now my entire face is full of scars, discoloration, acnes, redness, pigment changes...and NO FACELIFT results what so ever is observed, on the contrary my jowl lines seem quite saggy and have dropped.

I was promised to look 10 years younger. I am so disappointed to see a face that could have been a version of me during my 50s or 60s.

I had a huge argument with my doctor yesterday when I went to see him, and now we are in bad relation. The procedure cost me so far over 7000 dollars. In the past two weeks, he has sold me 700 dollars worth of skin care to use after the procedure...I have big scars on my face...he told me that they go away within 3 to 6 months, which after reading all the reviews I am starting to doubt.

In general I think that I was not a candidate for this procedure at all. I have been misled by my doctor just so they could make money off of me. Later after the procedure, I studied the Fraxel web site and learned that I do not fall within the category of the people who are good candidates for this procedure because I don't have any of the symptoms a good candidate has.

Yesterday my doctor and I had a major argument where I burst into tears; and I told him that I will seek legal advice. Now I am seeking recommendations for moisturizers or other skin care or suggestions to help. So far after the procedure, within the last 13 days my doctor has sold me Bionect creams, a bunch of makeup, Neova copper cream, face wash etc but no moisturizer as of yet... I have rashes on my skin and I need moisturizers as I am so dry all over my face and neck...Please help

What should I do? What type of moisturizer and when should I use...what kind of legal help I can get?

Updated on June 4, 2010:

I would like to provide an update on my Fraxel Repair procedure that I had in September of 2009. Right after the procedure, I had redness, swelling, and an acne breakout. I didn’t look like myself and this scared me tremendously. I have never experienced acne before and I thought this would leave permanent scars so I was very sad. The oral antibiotics took care of my acne and I have no scars whatsoever.

I have had Botox and fillers done before and the downtime was minimal. Even though I was warned about the lengthy healing process, I wasn’t mentally prepared for the downtime and immediate outcome of Fraxel Repair. I was so freaked out and, therefore, I thought the doctor damaged my face. After all, this was fractionated CO2 that I had and my skin needed the proper time to heal.

My face is now “normal” like before. I always take extra precaution by wearing a hat every time I’m in the sun. I’m sure there was some long term benefit of me doing the Fraxel Repair CO2 given collagen production and removal of sundamage deep in my skin. I was 40 when I had the treatment done and I didn’t have much of any wrinkles to begin with so I didn’t see a dramatic difference in my before and after pictures.

My advice would be to ask the physician for immediate after pictures of patients who have had this particular procedure. Fraxel Repair CO2 is considered a bigger procedure and you would want to know what you will look like immediately afterwards so you can prepare yourself mentally and physically for the healing process.

Provide advice for product usage, alternative options to resolve my problem

Is fraxel repair the same as dual fraxel?
Please file a complaint with your state medical board and with the FDA. When they finally get enough complaints, they tend to act on it. Until they get enough complaints, however, not much will be done. Also, if you later pursue legal action, a complaint to the state medical board if ruled against the doctor will work in your favor legally.
Hey Nazgol~ Beautful pix of you! Was wondering if things have gotten better? Was looking into this procedure and want your opinion. XOXO ~ J
Its sad to me you think you needed this laser. Its even more sad to think people can't get close enough to being "perfect" now days. I was looking into this for major scarring, but if I had skin like that I would never dream of putting it under a strong laser like the repair. I am sorry for whatever happened to your skin after the laser I just think people need to wake up a bit.
I think this is a lesson to learn to be happy with your face!! its sad to me when someone with great skin and looks feels the need to be "perfect" I was looking into this procedure for major scarring, but if I had skin like that I wouldn't dream of putting in under such a strong laser like the repair.
Hi Nazgol, I hope that you are doing better at this point. Hopefully you are. If you still have concerns or questions at this point that are unanswered, feel free to call me. Michael Persky, M.D. Encino, Calif
Hi Nazgol, Your face and results look very similar to mine. I have tried lots of things to calm my skin down. The best I have used is a comination of Aveeno ultra calming lotion mixed with Clobex (Rx only). I have tried many things, with very bad results. Also, I have used biofane, but the most helpful is the Clobex. For cleansing, the only thing that doesn't break me out is OLAY gentle foaming face wash with aloe. Hope this helps.
Nazgal, I too had fraxel repair & agree not worth the money & does not live up to the hype. But I agree with others who have said that it is too early to determine scarring. as for dryness & redness: try BIAFINE at night (a a wound healing medicine given to burn victims that your doctor can give you); and a lotion called PRYLATINE during the day before applying sun screen (many derms carry this). These two lotions really help reduce my redness & uneven discoloration. But 5 weeks post, I still get red unexpectedly after not being red for a few days. Hope this helps. really do try not to worry -- it really is too early to tell. I, too, had these worries early after the procedure.
I also wanted to make myself clar and correct myself that the actual procedure cost exactly 6000 dollars, but the skin care and medications SO FAR just over a thousand dollars; which makes this cost me over 7000 so far.
I too have spent an extra 2000.00 with creams and dermatologists visits, trying to fix a problem I never had before the procedure. You can forget about the doctor receiving any legal recourse I have tried. Those consent forms we sign minutes before the procedure give the doctor the green light to do what ever he wants. I was not even informed about what laser I was being treated with or the possible side effects. But there they were outlined in tiny print on the consent form.
I'm sorry I didn't read through to the bottom before mentioning Meladerm. If you are using hydroquinone just make sure you watch every day for super tiny white spots, this is a sign that your melanocytes are dying and you should stop right away. At this point, damage won't be noticeable and you should still be perfectly fine. Remember that real scars are only those that have a different texture and usually have different color. Discolorations usually go back to normal, esp. red ones. Fresh indentations fill up in some degree and even totally in weeks or months. Ask your new doctor about using retin A to speed up healing to avoid scars, or TNS which is not irritating, very expensive but really speeds up healing. If you can tolerate retin A even once or twice a week it can prevent a scar from happening, I use it like this to prevent scars from lesions that worry me or that have started to look like a possible scar. On acne and pimples I use it even if they are open and raw, it works great. I'm not saying you should use it on your just fraxeled face which is different from healthy strong skin with a few open pimples. But in some days you might be able to use it to suffocate your acne break out, which is most common after any resurfacing procedure. For redness, itching, repairing skin, irritation, dryness, you can ask use CICALFATE by AVENE there is a cream (thick and can give acne) and a gel (probably better for your acne). Acne will go away, just dont pick it. It might last up to 3 months, in my personal experience. If you see something that makes you think is going to be a scar, cover it with a piece of cica care silicon gel sheet for as long as you can, 24/7 for months, it will heal nicely and faster like this. I have done this on pimples and they flatten and heal in 2-3 days leaving no scars, never an infection even if open or raw. Wash the patch once or twice a day, cover it with a special adhesive tape to hold it in place. Everything I have recommended to you has been advised by my plastic surgeon and I have tried on my face for several months.

Hydroquinone should not be used long term because it can do more harm than good. Isn't it banned in some countries? Has anyone looked at Meladerm? It is supposed to be more gentle. It is made by Civant and is hydroquinone free.

maladerm does contain hydroquinone. Alpha arbutin is hydroquinone witha sugar attached. When absorbed into your skin it changes into hydroquinone.
Wow - thanks for your reply. I was considering Meladerm but now will reconsider. This website is great for finding out stuff that manufacturers try to hide! Thanks again.

Hi I am in the same boat as you. I had beautiful skin too prior to this procedure.NO wrinkles on my cheeks or mouth area, no freckles and certainly no discolouration I had it done to remove some fine lines and wrinkles under my eyes and forehead, but while I was on the table my doctor convinced me to have my entire face done otherwise I would be a dual colour (his words).The entire procedure cost me double. I now have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation all over my face. i had been 12 months and it is still there. Hydroquinone does not work. Unfortunately we have both come across unethical doctors who do not take their oath "do no harm" seriously, and are only interested in how much money they can make from their patients. Hydroquinone does not work.has anyone else had any of these long term problems? Does anyone have any ideas about resolving this issue?

ask your doctor if you can use Meladerm for your hyperpigmentation
Hi , Don,t worry so much ...I know fraxel is not a good treatment , I had it done 6months ago paid $6000 in Englewood NJ. My face was disaster for 3months but it went back to normal now after ton of cream. Fraxel It didn't make me beautiful and didn't make my wrinkles go away, I am still ugly and wrinkles but I am happy my face went back to normal...NEVER FRAXEL again. Trust me your face it will be back to normal in the next 5-6 months.
What sort of cream did you use? I am 12months postfraxel repair and still trying ti fix the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation I was left with.
p.s. it also appears that you may have some hypopigmentation. this may have been there before. hard to tell from your fuzzy photos. the lines on your neck were certainly not caused by the fraxel. those are normal for a person your age. if anything they were probably diminished a little. you are surely just noticing them now because your skin is inflamed and you are looking at it a lot more closely.
your "scars" are redness or "hyperpigmentation". the dryness, acne, and rash: this is a side effect that a lot of people get after laser procedures. you should have been put on an antibiotic before, during, and after the procedure to avoid acne breakouts. you should also be using a good moisturizer that you know does not irritate your skin; not trying a new skin care regimen that is untested and may be irritating you. unfortunately fraxel doctors now supplement their income by hawking an entire skin care line. i think these creams and potions actually irritate a lot of people. they should have just stuck to whatever moisturizer they normally used before the procedure.

I'm sorry to hear about all that you've been through. Perhaps some of these related post-Fraxel questions might help?:

After Fraxel Repair