Sculptra Nodules Destroyed my Self Image

My experience was great in the begining. After the...

My experience was great in the begining. After the second treatment nodules appeared. I was mortified. The doctor acted like it wasn't a big deal. I was given some cortisone but there was no improvment.

I will not ever get any more or recommend it to anyone. I will do what ever I can to convince people otherwise.

I followed after care just as instructed. I also was not told that if you follow after care instructions, you may still end up with nodules that are going to be with you for awhile. I feel deceived. Everytime I wash my face I am reminded of my big mistake. I wish I never got it done.

Oh yeah, when people touch my face like a partner..."Do you have a tumor?" or "What is that?" I'm sick about all of it. Worst thing is my mother went to get treatment based on my results from session one. Now I fear for her as well.

I would like to know what to do about the nodules that appeared 2 weeks after my second sculptra treatment. I was told to do vigorous massage, and it got bigger. I was then given some cortisone and told it may help. Then I was simply told it's just part of sculptra. Is there anything I can do that will not disfigure me any further. My last treatment was on June 5th of 2009. Nodules were noticed on June 22 2009.

Birmingham Dermatologist

No simply because I was not informed of the risk prior to treatment. I was told that with after care massage everything would be fine. I was persistent with the massage, and still got the nodules. No one ever said: Even if you follow aftercare protocol you may develope lumps that will not go away until the sculptra does.

I agree - I didn't appreciate my beauty until I developed these lumps. So upsetting
I had Sculptra injected in 2008 under my eyes. The lumps started growing 4 months later. After cortisone injections, we decided to excise the lumps. Over the next couple of years, the lumps just kept coming and growing - felt very disfigured. I had two separate operations to remove them (via lower blepharoplasty). Most of the lumps were gone, but a few more lumps grew and the eyelids were pulled down (an awful look). I have now gone through lower eyelid reconstruction - twice. I am almost back to 'normal', but not wholly and have spent thousands of dollars and gone through all of this surgery. My experience with Sculptra has been hell. I believe the only way to get rid of the lumps is to have it surgically removed. So sorry to hear your stories!
I'm so sorry to hear your story. I have the lumps too (I really trusted my doctor). From everything I read there is nothing much you can do - not even taking them out. Does anyone have a good news story - would love to hear.
No it never goes away, even after 3 surgeries and 5 years later it will never be the same. And my Doctor whos fault this is is still runnung a lucrative practice. One of the most annoying lasting side effects is the constant twitching in my eye lid.
I would like to know if anyone on this site who obtained lumps from Sculptra has finally seen some improvement? Does it eventually dissipate as they say? I am hoping things will change for my face. I am truly regretful and believe Sculptra should be taken off the market.
I'm three years out and no change. Except a couple of new (tiny) lumps. Keep hoping it will dissipate, but I'm beginning to doubt that will ever happen.
Mine was done in Feb 2008. It was done all wrong so... my experience is they do not go away. At least not yet. I want to know why so many doctors on this site say the product is safe when the outcome is so technique dependent? I was done by a board certified plastic surgeon. He said he was so great and that sculptra was "very safe". On this site the doctors all say that the device is safe in the "right hands". When done "wrong" the predictable complications are "difficult to manage". So you as patient are in a position where you do as the "doctor" recommends and then (s)he has a bad day and there is NOTHING any doctor can do to fix it. surgical excision only removes lumps that are there at the time. Since PLLA does not fully break down inside the body for unknown period of time , if ever, lumps can and do continue to form. Meaning more surgery and more scars. Sculptra is total CRAP. I also would like doctors to stop saying it is the same thing as vicryl sutures. Vicryl sutures are no more than 10% PLLA. Sculptra is almost all PLLA. Is 10% the same thing as 99%? NO. The "seeds" are dispursed throughout the soft tissue and can not be surgically removed effectively. The filling effect is from a systemic immune response to the irritating foreign material and is a form of scar tissue.
Thank you for responding. I was hoping for better news. Boo! I am so bummed with this stuff. I chew my food and it looks like I have rocks in my cheeks! Plus, when I smile, the hard edges of the lumps make me look clownish. It is not AS noticeable when my face I'd still. Difficult for the animated person. What have you tried to calm the situation down? The lumps showed up over a year later for me. 3 new patches popped up this week. I am trying to be optimistic and proactive. Did your Dr reimburse you or try to help?
I appreciate the details you provided. I am not the law suit type but feel that promoting this stuff is a crime. Part of me feels like I should be more aggressive by demanding explanations from the company. My Dr. Started discouraging his patients after my experience. He was rather upset as it was new to his office. I have tried saline injections, a few very mild cortisone injections and have used a laser designed for scar tissue. It has been a hassled process with lots of bruising and extra swelling. I believe it has tamed things but has not made the lumps depart. Plus, I had Ned growths this week. They were curbed w saline, but I feel like an alien. Thank you for responding g again. I have felt overwhelmed by this experience at times.
Yes, my lumps are now barely visable. Although I can still feel them and they get larger whenever I get sick but then go down again after I'm well. Had my injections 2009 and the lumps started getting smaller about 9 months ago.
Hi - I developed a pea sized lump under my eye /top of cheek 4 weeks after my 2 treatment. My doctor injected saline into it - but so far - no change (in fact it looks a bit bigger). I now have small lumps developing under my other eye. Very distressed. My doctor said that because of his technique this wouldn't happen. I would love to hear some good news stories too. Feel v stupid and self conscious.
I can really relate to your story! I am an animated person too - and feel so self conscious about smiling (my cheeks look huge and there are limos under eyes). I wonder if because we are animated people - the sculptra was worse for us. I go for my second saline treatment next week. Also did your doctor reimburse you - I'm asking for a refund as am going to have to spend a lot to try and correct these problems
The sculptra rep is supposed to come look at my face this upcoming Tuesday. I am going to ask him for a refund from the company. The Dr. has shown pics of my face to him but he needs to see for himself..?. If he has integrity or human compassion he should see to it that I get a refund. I am concerned about these company people, though. Often the company takes precedence over doing the right thing. I am the type if person who believes in treating people right. I am almost anxious about the situation bc I will feel re-victimized and very angry if he does not do what is in their power to rectify what they can of the situation. I am also convinced that the unnatural weight of the sculptra bumps in my cheeks is making the area next mouth look more droopy. Gravity. Saline has helped some as stated before. My Dr did inject a drop on kenalog in the epicenter of the clumpy mass. It did help but I have to wait 6 weeks for another injection. I guess the cortisone eats at fat and my face does not have a lot to give, so it has to be strategic. Boo!! I have said prayers for the people on this site as it has been psychologically distressing. I feel everyones's pain! I continue to be hopeful. A few large bumps ...one on my cheek and another on my cheekbone are 1/4 if the size they used to be. They were trested w saline. And the kenalog did seem to help. May someone discover a better remedy and soon!
Best of luck with the Sculptra rep. I hope you get a refund - it's the least they can do in my opinion. I only hope there aren't more 'good news' stories on this site as that people who have had their Sculptra problems resolved, don't comment on this site? Please keep us all update and again, will have fingers crossed for you
Yes!!! I have had same thought ...that the people who are free from sculptra damage are out there living their lives and this is all behind them!!!
I would like a refund for $80,000 worth of surgeries it has cost me to remove this crap plus down time pain and suffering. 6years later and still have issues
Me too. Fingers crossed! Although I have been frantically searching the Internet and not many surgeons seem very positive? I'm so scared - everyday I check the mirror hoping to more nodules come up - it's horrible
I have thought about you a lot since I discovered this site. Truly. Yes, I am having my issues but yours break my heart. So intense. So sorry. The company should be held accountable somehow. In the meantime I hope the years you lost to this awful product are restored to you in a surprising way. I really hope that awesome things come to you as a form of divine payback. I cannot imagine what you have endured. But I do get a hint of it when I feel these crazy hard bumps and see visible (more subtle to thise who dont know my face well). inconsistencies in my face. It sounds like yours were much more pronounced. The stress has to be intense. I hope you are feeling more normal again. Really...to read about your situation makes me taste some of your panic. My Dr told me one of his patients has had 4 times the amount I had. And wants more. My bumps showed a year later and she is not there yet in regards to time. He is meeting with her to discourage her from more injections. I so wish we had someone to warn us. Know that I cheer you on.
Ps...If I wrote you 2 months I might be even more freaked out. At that time I had huge lump on my face and when I smiled my hard lumpy cheeks made it look like my face was a mile wide. I run around w bruises from bi weekly saline injections and that has softened things. But still...I did not experience Sculptra to the horrifying depths you have. I have no idea where I would come up w the $ to rectify some of the mess. May you get your $ back in some wild way that salutes justice, too.
After reading all of the comments here, I am certain the small lumps under my eye is from Sculptra. I had 1 vial done in 2010 and the lumps have appeared a year and half later. They have not got any bigger or are noticable. However, I wanted to see if anyone experienced them to continue to grow? I'm nervous!
I had Sculptra injected three different times, a few weeks apart, with a total of six vials in my entire face. The dermatologist, Tiffani Hamilton, of Alpharetta , Ga was the dermatologist performing the injections. I was never informed that Sculptra was not approved by FDA for injections in all areas of the face. I was simply told that the doctor was an 'expert' with the product and I trusted her credentials. A few weeks after receiving the treatments, I developed 9 lumps on my forehead, nose and chin. When I called Ms. Hamilton's office, the nurse informed me that I apparently didn't massage my face as was recommended by the office and that over time the lumps would dissolve. Not only did I have the lumps, but my face seemed so out of proportion. I couldn't stand the way I looked. I wrote the company and received a vague letter saying they filed my complaint. The shape of my face has returned to "normal' OR pre Sculptra treatment, but I still have the lumps. I've gone to plastic surgeons and have had them injected with Kenalog and other solutions, but nothing has worked. How is it legal for doctors to continue to inject this substance in areas that are not approved by the FDA? I seriously don't think the doctors care about the patients, they are simply focused on the profit. I'm appalled that it's permitted in a the US.
I understand I had a similar situation and 3 surgeries later to remove the Sculptra, I am still having issues with the way I look under my eyes.
hold onto your hat or veil because it just gets worse. liars liars liars and we are a right off. the FDA is incompetent and was bamboozled bt slick Sanofi. still sick & disfigured and still angry!
the Drs that use sculptra have their heads up their behinds because these adverse events have been documented since 2000 when it was NewFill. would anyone get it if they knew the risks? No.
I'm so sorry. I have been using Radiesse to even out my face since I got the sculptra. I now have lumps on both cheeks and on my chin. They flare up then calm down so it's bearable, but I'm afraid of where the next one will turn up. I wonder if it will go away after two years or I'll be stuck with these lumps forever.