Scar Excision on Child's Scalp - Stitches Tore Apart - Scar Looks Worse

My baby had a 2nd-3rd degree burn on the crown of...

My baby had a 2nd-3rd degree burn on the crown of his head - it was about 3" long and 1-2" wide. It healed up really good and smooth, and didn't require any skin grafts or surgery. The doctor said that after having a scar reduction, a simple surgery, we could expect the scar to look like a small scratch.

At age 2, we finally took him in to have it surgically reduced - the surgeon excised the scar and pulled the good edges together. I actually expected this to require 2 surgeries, because he has a large head and the skin felt tight. The surgeon said that we could expect the final scar to be about 1/4 - 1/2" wide (not a small scratch), because it would stretch while the stitches healed.

Half of it healed up great - and is about 1/4" wide. On the other half though, the skin was swollen, the tension was too much, and the stitches split open, and it looks worse than before. The scabs have finally come off, but the skin is delicate, pink, and sort of rippled from the stitches. It's right at the crown where it is most noticeable.

It's very distressing, and the surgeon says to wait for another 6 months to see what we should do next. In your opinion, is this scar repairable? Do you think we should do another reduction? Should we have a scalp expander this time? Is it only possible to make it look like a scratch when it's done on a fully grown person?

Should toddler have another scar reduction on scalp? Stitches tore and it looks worse than before.
I'm not trying to diminish your concern about your son's scar, but let me tell you what happened in my family's case. My son was bitten on the lip by an adult dog we had newly adopted just 2 days earlier. I blame myself because I saw my rough-and-tumble son, age 7 at the time,hugging our new dog too hard and the dog became frightened--but I wasn't experienced with these situations, and I didn't act fast enough. The dog bit my son through the lip, leaving a thick scar. The scar WAS repaired by an excellent plastic surgeon, but the surgeon made it clear to me that because it was a vertical scar, it would not heal well. We did not put the dog down for my son's sake (make my son the 'executioner' of the dog? That would have been the worst thing we could have done to my son) and the dog rapidly did become a beloved member of our family, loved by all of us including my son. In fact, with time, and once he got to know us and love us, I have no doubt that Charlie the Dog would have defended any of my children to his death against child predators, and as long as Charlie was walking with my young daughters or son I felt safe for them. BUT HERE'S what I want to tell you here: I overheard my son, at the age of 22, tell one of his friends, "I like my scar. I think it gives my face character." My son meant it. It was a tremendous unburdening of guilt on my part. And you know what? I agree with my son--the scar gives his face character. He's no less handsome for it, and it gives him an air of distinction. That may or may not be true in your son's case, but just know that facial scars aren't necessarily unattractive. I've had one myself since age 22, running vertically through my eyebrow from a car accident, and yet people have continued to tell me I'm attractive over the years (OKAY, so you only have my word on that, but...). Anyway, my point is that the scar over your son's eye in the photos does not look to me like it will diminish his handsomeness in anyway, and perhaps you might not want to make too big a deal about it lest he begins to feel it 'makes him who he is.' Good luck to you whatever you decide.
There is a surgery for scars on the head where they fill the area with Saline and stretch the skin.

The expander as you mentioned would help.

It takes usually about a year to see a scar really blend in.
I'm a parent too, and I can relate to your concerns about your child--we as parents feel so responsible for decisions we make on their behalf. If I were in your place I'd seek out a well-reputed plastic surgeon in your area (ask health professionals who work in your nearby hospital who they recommend) who charges $100-or-so for a consultation. The advantage to paying $100 over getting a free consultation is that the physician will send a report to your current surgeon (or at least he should). Or you could offer to pay the surgeon $100--whatever--just have him put his opinion in writing to your current surgeon. This will put peer pressure on your surgeon to do his best by your son. I did this myself regarding bad eyelid surgery. My surgeon didn't lift a finger to do a correction on my eyelids until I sought a 2nd opinion from a well-reputed surgeon in the area. He sent my surgeon a copy of his consultation. That put her to shame, and she re-did my eyelids without charging me further.

He specializes in pediatric plastic surgery.