Septorhinoplasty to Repair Fracture (Deviated Septum) and Aesthetics

I had external Septorhinoplasty on the 7th of May...

I had external Septorhinoplasty on the 7th of May 2009 as a result of a direct blow to my nose causing a fracture (deviated Septum).Consequently I had difficulty breathing but of more concern to me was the bump forming on the dorsum which appeared to make my nose asymmetrical.

Upon consultation my surgeon was confident in assuring me he could improve the functional problems and then continued to ask what, if anything, I did not like about the aesthetics of my nose. I'm very vein and have been my whole life, so as you could imagine when given the chance I told him everything I did not like and would love enhanced to the current state of my nose. Which included, refining the tip, making it as small as possible, straightening it and removing any aspect of the 'beaky' look I thought I had especially in the tip. After explaining all this to my surgeon, he didn't seem to reject any of the requests I had so I was happy enough going into sugery.

Surgery went well and I cruised through the first week of resting although still with the cast on, I accidentaly hit the right side of my nose with my own hand when towelling myself after a shower. When the cast came off the surgeon seemed pleased with the look of my nose even though I was a bit shocked at the huge bulby look of it, though he reassured me it was very early and significant swelling was still obvious.

Just shy of 2 weeks, pleased with the shape my nose was taking, I went for a surf against my surgeons orders but only managed about 2 hours as it was uncomfortable, to say the least, when diving under water. Additionally I bumped the right oblique side of my nose against my board in an attempt to minimise the discomort the waves would cause. (Silly) I was worried about this, so instantly went back to the car mirror and scrutinised over the shape and it appeared unchanged.

Further down the line (week 3 & 4) I was becoming extremely pleased with my new nose, the bulby appearance was easing and the beaky look had vanished additionally symmetry was near perfect and the lateral (side on) view appeared short and small. Least to say I was estatic!!

Going into week 5 (2nd post op consultation) I was sort of noticing the length and beaky look creeping back into view from oblique angle. Hoping I was being paranoid, I addressed this issue to the surgeon and he said "it shouldn't drop much more..not to like it was before" I was a bit disapointed in this reply as, to me it told me he expected this to happen.

Now heading into week 7, the length and polly beak look has almost resumed to how it was before surgery. Also from the lateral view the lower cartilage area appears to be projecting out from my face to much again, though the ridge is very slight off the face and still holds the nice straight contour. I've been told it can take up to a year for the tip to fully refine and heal and the bridge swelling eases alot earlier than the cartilage.

So I'm hoping that the case in week 3 and 4 where I was happy with the appearance was still evenly swollen and that now the dorsum swelling has eased leaving the unflattering appearance of a bulby swollen cartilage section. Though this is hard to believe when explaining the polly beak look to be present.... Peace of mind please!! Revision?

Not really sure yet. Conservative I think.

Please seriously consider my situation. I had rhinoplasty with Tristan De Chalain 2 years ago and it was the worst mistake of my life! I paid 10,000 for nothing. He must have just opened my nose up had a poke around, closed it back up and pissed off with my money! It looks almost identical to what I started with and infact worse in some places because of scar tissue or something creating a new bulge. Not to mention he completely forgot to shave down the hump one side of my nose and didn't touch the columella. After botching it up he wanted to charge me another 6k to attempt to fix it. Major major regrets. Please consider this! (:
Omg r u serious? My surgery is on Tuesday and ive already paid him snd the anaesthetist. Im officially scared!
Is there a way i can contact u to talk about this??
Im sure you will be fine, they are both highly trained and there are also many people who are happy with his results. Each situation is different and this surgery is not as straight forward as other surgeries so there are variable results. Also you can't predict how your body heals e.g scar tissue etc. Don't freak out. how did you feel in your consult with him?
My consults were fine. I told him what I wanted and he said its do-able. Narrow the dorsal bridge, add a bit of point to tip and make base nostrils smaller. I showed him pics and he assured me it would b doable. He realy seemed to know his stuff.
Then I would say stick with your decision, because its a big decision every little sign is going to freak you out, once your there you realize how routine every thing is how many surgeries they do. Unfortunately there is always a risk and some surgeries end up being not what patients expected. I would suggest you voice your concerns to him. You will have a chance to talk to him before you have the surgery on the day also.go with your gut
My gut says hes good. Il definitely email him with my concerns. Thanks u soooooo much for this pep talk!!!! U came at the right time
you should be fine, just talk to him. I had some bad feelings before i did it to be honest, I just felt like it wasn't 100% the way I imagined it or something. Things like panicing because on here I saw people did a pre medical checkup with their doctor and mine didn't but it was all fine and so glad I did it. Good luck! :)
Hi metcalf, I have private messaged you. My gut told me he was good also due to his status and the fancy office. It is all just a facade I now see. Since the surgery he has taken zero responsibility for the outcome and every time I look in the mirror I'm reminded of my mistake. However, this is MY experience, and here's hoping yours will be completely different. I can 100% assure you though, if you do not like the outcome, he will not be there to help you in any form unless you are willing to pay big bucks to fix his mess!
Also, in regards to showing him pictures of what you like in a nose, I did the same and was advised that what I desired was completely achievable. So in retrospect, for a patient going into this with Tristan I would say really really emphasise what you do/ don't want because I'm not sure he was listening when I did the same
Yes I have done the same. I took in a tonne of pics and he is very sure what Iwant is avhievable. I will definitely emphasise what I want before I go in. Thanks u so much for ur words
Who would be the top rhinoplasty surgeons in nz? or should i go overseas ? im tossing between Tristan De Chalain & Nick McIvor. Anything anyone can tell me about these two will help greatly
I had a bad experience with Dr John Chaplin and wouldn't recommend him. Actually my experience was the opposite of the above story. He did too much and didn't really listen to what I wanted... not happy at all. Thought I'd put out a word of warning
hey, who would you recommend? I'm tossing between tristin de chalain and nick mcivor. any suggestions?
Hello, I have had rhino with Nick and would highly recommend him. I am more than happy with the results and had no issues whatsoever let me know if you have any qs :)
I went to him and he kinda talked me out of it to the point where I booked with tristin . So annoyed!
he is quite honest and straight up I found. Good luck anyway :)
Yes iv heard only good things about him. I wish I booked him.my surgery is on tuesday and im scared after a post on here said Tristan did a very bad job on them ... what can I do. Iv already paid.
well. What does your gut tell you? before you saw the post. It could have been an unfortuante surgery. It doesnt mean every one he does is going to be that way. Perhaps you could email him and ask him some qs for peace of mind. Like what is his revision policy if it doesn't go to plan. Then you also have it in writing. Ask him if there is any chance of unbooking because you need time to think it further. Just express your concerns to him
Since the first day of my appointment with John i had been treated with the utmost care and throughout the procedure, i felt comfortable with and trusting towards his decisions. 3 years down the road and I am still very pleased with the work he has done. Just the end of last year, I also had a scar revision done because of an accident, once again, no complaints. I'm sorry that you feel this way skello, but I highly recommend John Chaplin as my surgeon.
hey, so how's everything now? so you wouldn't recommend John?
Hi, still the same. No I would not recommend John based on my experience...
No problem! I am really keen to but going overseas beforehand and have booked surgery for October. Seems a long way away can't wait!
I can understand not wanting to go back, revision is tricky and you wouldn't want a 3rd.
It still is so hard to tell which is the right doctor to trust. It's very hard, esp in Nz i think
Nick didn't seem to 'sell' anything and told me I need to think about it hard. He seemed busy and not fussed about not doing the surgery..But who can really tell after meeting someone for half and hour :s
Has your nose changed at all? :)
Hi Jo, sorry for slow reply. I'm not really that keen on going back to John Chaplin - In hindsight he only seemed to tell me what I wanted to hear and make me feel confident in him until he got money from me in which his attitude changed considerably for the worse.

I think you're right when referring to Dr Nick Mclvor, his portfolio and accolades are much more impressive than the rest in the New Zealand market.

Have you gone ahead with anymore regarding your procedure?
It's possible scar tissue could be forming? Perhaps there are some medical solutions to reduce scarring? I have heard of people forming scar tissue after Rhinoplasty making it a bit bigger than expected